My legs getting bigger

Options
I've started walking around 1-2 hrs a day, I feel better for it but I've noticed my legs are looking bigger

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Interesting. How long have you been doing the walking?
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Properly for about 4 weeks, I've not lost or gained any weight in that time, I feel like giving up
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Did you measure your legs? Are your jeans fitting tighter? I thought my biceps were getting bigger but according to the tape measure they are actually smaller.

Don't give up - many of us lose weight in whooshes - nothing for a while and then, whoosh, many pounds at once. I can count on a whoosh a week after my period starts.

Also, there are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Did you measure, or they just look bigger?

Could be that you have less fat covering them, so they are a little more defined, but actually smaller. It is not easy to gain muscle, especially from walking, and while eating at a deficit (trying to lose weight). You could have water retention if you have been increasing intensity or duration.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you actually measured your legs with a tape measure? You are likely imagining this increase in size. You can have some water retention due to an increase in exercise but walking is usually pretty gentle exercise and after four weeks I would think that any water retention would have gone by the wayside. My suggestion is to measure your legs and not worry about how big or small they look. Then measure them in a month to see if there's actually any difference or not. And also, bigger legs isn't necessarily a bad thing. A lot of people who come on MFP seem to have rather "off" perceptions of themselves (I've been guilty of it myself at times) and think that various parts of them are oversized when they are not.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Is there any way it could be that other parts of you are shrinking? Like maybe your legs look bigger because your rear end, hips or whatever have gotten smaller? Maybe it is messing with the proportions that you are used to. Just an idea. :)