30 Pounds Gone

Got any tips for working out at home? Is there anything special that I could purchase to help me with my journey? I've hit a slow patch in my weight loss and I need to get it going again!

Replies

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2016
    Find a program that works for you. What do you like doing?

Running: c25k (couch to 5K) - running app / program for beginners, getting to your first 5K in 9 weeks.
    Strong Curves: resistance and cardio program made for women, emphasis on glutes. Requires gym so this might not be for you yet.
    Bodyweight Fitness: Read here and check the link.

Just remember, weight loss is 100% calories in vs calories out. If you are stalling, consider cutting 100-300 more calories from your daily intake. Exercise is fantastic and provides lots of good for your body and mind, but what you eat will affect your journey much more (you cannot outrun your fork).
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    You can try youtube for cardio videos. Or you can purchase a DVD set. Strength training would be hard unless you don't mind buying weights.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    It depends on your fitness goals. Are you new to exercise? If so, start with beginner workouts and increase the difficulty from there.

Check out Fitness Blender on YouTube. It's free and they have hundreds of awesome workouts, from beginner to very intense. A lot of the workouts are body weight only, so no equipment required, but you could also invest in some low-weight dumbbells (3, 5, 8lb) to start and get heavier ones as you get stronger.

Personally, I can't say enough about heavy lifting, so once you become more comfortable with exercise, look into a beginner lifting program, like Strong Curves (mentioned above), Stronglifts 5x5, or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Also, as mentioned above, exercise isn't going to magically make you lose more weight; it all comes down to staying in a calorie deficit. But exercise is great for building a slightly larger deficit, or for getting to eat a bit more.
  • Harrisgurl77
    Harrisgurl77 Posts: 1 Member
    Pinterest has a ton of workout plans for home. Most of them you don't even need any equipment. I plan on using these when I travel and a gym is not accessible.
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Congratulations on your loss so far! I agree with the above posters, the best idea is to find something you will enjoy. Like dancing? Try something like Zumba, CIZE, HipHopAbs, etc. Want to lift? There are some great options mentioned above. You are more likely to stick to something you actually enjoy.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    What do you like to do?

I knew I needed cardio equipment at home to ever use it, so I bought the bow flex M5. I like it because it's not a boring movement like elliptical alone is for me, and it's quite a bit smaller than anything else I have ever seen. Easy financing made it the right choice.

I have done lots of YouTube based videos for exercise at home as well. I love the fitness blender pilates more than the DVDs I have paid for!
  • FeliciaLogsdon
    FeliciaLogsdon Posts: 16 Member
    Thank you all you have been such help! I'm a stay at home mom with two kids under three and I can't afford to go to the gym. But I got time at home every day to do some kind of exercise, but the things that have worked before are no longer helping my results. So I needed new ideas, so thank you!
  • mmjclark04
    mmjclark04 Posts: 54 Member
    Have you tried 30 Day Shred? Its just a mat with hand weights. I have 4 kids and homeschool so there is no time for lengthy workouts or gym days. 30DS seems to be working very well for me. I'm on day 14 and have seen great results. I am on the beginning end of trying to lose weight and really should lose about 100lbs though I think I'd be happy with 60lbs. Anyway...it works and its cheap. I won't say easy...because it kicks my tail but it has been worth it!
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2016
    I do Daily Burn. The first 30 days are free, then it's $12.95 a month. And don't forget to recalibrate your calorie goals every 10 lbs or so!
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Got any tips for working out at home? Is there anything special that I could purchase to help me with my journey? I've hit a slow patch in my weight loss and I need to get it going again!

idk about buying anything but if you haven't done hiking or swimming, that's a serious kick in the pants. Nothing works your body more efficiently than swimming, and it's fun. As for hiking, there's no need to do it outdoors. get on a treadmill, crank up the incline, put it on 3mph and go for an hour. watch some TV or something to pass the time, but you will absolutely be sweating after 10 minutes.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    I like DVDs. If you don't have a DVD player, there are plenty of streaming ways to stream workouts, whether it be a subscription based site, or a free source like Youtube or (the oft-mentioned) Fitness Blender.

Also, I suggest acquiring some hand weights. 3s and 5s are a good place to start, and not too expensive. If working out on a hard surface, it's good to have a yoga mat. You know a good place to get these at a discount? Marshall's/TJ Maxx! They've always got discount workout stuff at the store near me.
  • frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    If you're into yoga at all (or if you like hip hop/tribal/dance music) you might like Buti Yoga. You can subscribe to the workouts for $13/month and they change the videos every week so you don't get bored of doing the same thing over and over (like with DVDs, which drives me nuts). There is also a supportive Facebook group of women who always offer advice about the workouts but also just life in general. I think there are some older free workouts on Youtube if you want to get an idea of what it is, but the subscription has better workouts for sure.