Perfection? or Photoshop

Options
tashjs21
tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
I get so angry when I see obvious Photoshop jobs.

Jennifer Lawrence, looks amazing in the original photo and very fit. Yet, they felt the need to remove all the muscle from her arms, remove her butt and take in her torso. I thinks he looked way hotter in the original.

lawrence-photoshop.jpg?quality=70

Then this one...

GF05.jpg

GF05.jpg

**edited because the first pic is too big but second is too small to see the detail of the original.

This is why women have unrealistic views on their tummies. She has a slight "roll" to her belly in the original even though she is far from fat. I am not saying flat tummies are unattainable but these images give women unrealistic goals.

Replies

• Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Agreed
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yeah, well, the magazine decides what sells. The buyers support it by buying it. Unfortunately, that's how it works.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I don't really care too much, I mean, I do think Jennifer Lawrence looks beautiful in the before picture too, but I DO get irritated when it's something super ridiculous, like this:

filippa-hamilton.jpg

Or like washing out a woman's beautiful skin tone to make her lighter, that shiz makes me mad, a la Beyonce---no need to lighten this girl's skin, she's gorgeous!

ybfbeyoncead.jpg
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Sooo much better before the photo shop. I'd be pissed if I was photo shopped and it turned out looking worse.
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    This sort of thing is on my list of pet peeves. LET WOMEN BE REAL WOMEN!

I play with contrast a bit on my photos, but none of the photos end up making me look thinner. Photoshop can only do so much, there. Heh.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options

filippa-hamilton.jpg

That's the best one ever. Barbie lady.
  • xnikkixsikkix
    Options
    She looks a million times better in the original...The second photo she just looks sickly. The girl is flawless, she shouldn't be photoshopped for any reason.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Id love to hve her body in the 1st pic... major difference in the 2nd one
  • myLittleVoice
    Options
    i'd like to see how they would photoshop me! then i'd throw it in their faces and walk out! photoshop and this industry is disgusting!
  • tashjs21
    Options

filippa-hamilton.jpg

That's the best one ever. Barbie lady.

That one is just scary. :noway: Somebody was drunk photoshopping. :laugh:
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This makes me kinda sad... I actually think both woman have VERY sexy bellies in the before pictures.
  • tashjs21
    Options
    This one freaks me out too

body-manipulation-240rb092409.jpg
  • asdfzxh
    asdfzxh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wrg,doesn't
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I agree, the original pic of Jennifer Lawrence looks better. That's just a poorly done job.

Although, I don't see a problem with using photoshop. A still image of a person attracts scrutiny, it invites it just by its nature. Still images don't exist in real life without cameras since things are always in movement. If photoshop makes a hot girl more attractive in a photo, looking at the photo still doesn't compare to the feeling I'd get meeting her in real life. So, in a way, the "lie" tells the truth better than the original.
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    tashjs21 wrote: »
    This one freaks me out too

body-manipulation-240rb092409.jpg

Aw, who doesn't love weird boobs and noodle arms?
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Imagine how the celebrities must feel-basically being told they're not good enough in themselves.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Yes, she looks way hotter in the unedited photo. I don't know why the second photo "sells." It's boring, and less attractive.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    What makes it bad, though? Photoshop is about as unnatural as makeup or taking misleading photo angles, all of which most women do.

Cameras make most people look worse than they really do, blotchy, with deep shadows, lipless, with little piggy eyes. Strong makeup makes lips and eyes show up, and evens out skin tone. A truckload of makeup looks unnatural.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I never take those photos seriously to begin with for various reasons:

1. Celebreties tend to have enough money to pay plastic surgeons, cosmologists, dermatologists and every other oligist you can name to make themselves look better than the normal every day working stiff.
    2. Every photo shoot is a setup and doesn't convey the natural look of the person to begin with.
    3. Makeup, lighting and the right camera angle/settings/lense can make anyone look much better (a la Kaitlyn Jenner).
    4. In the end, they'll just make the model look how they want with a good computer program anyway.

No one should look at a picture in a magazine or catalog and have any inclination that the person in the pic really looks like that in real life.