That frustrating last half a stone-any suggestions welcome.

Options
Good Afternoon-I read a lot of posts and find the information on this forum very helpful.

I'm currently 5'3 (well actually I'm always 5'3) and weigh 119 pounds-8st 7. I'd like to get to 8st but find the last half a stone very difficult to lose.

Do you have any tips for shifting the pesky last few pounds? I run 3 times a week with a running club, usually around 5k a time and have done the 5:2 diet for over 2 years (which makes it easy to log but difficult to submit as MFP doesn't let you log officially if you're under 1000 calories).

Friends have suggested cutting out alcohol completely but I really don't want to do that as I wouldn't be able to maintain it and would find it very tedious!

Thanks very much in advance for your help

Amy

Replies

• Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Are you losing inches? If you're actually in deficit you'll lose the weight, it just will be slower than you want. Are your drinks accurate? Some do tend to hold a lot of calories.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You are trying to get to a BMI just below 20, that is just going to be slow at your size. You have to find ways to keep a sustainable calorie deficit and then just let time do its thing. It's no different from losing at a higher weight, just less calories to play with. Skipping some drinks would be a good step, no need to cut out completely but they usually do have a lot of empty calories.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Cut your calories a little more. If you are not losing weight, you are not cutting enough calories. Just be consistent and honest with the numbers (no snacking and not counting). That includes alcohol.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you want to get down to that specific weight? You're a healthy weight now, and if you're struggling to get extra weight off, keeping it off might be a battle. I'm 5ft, and I remember getting down to 8st 4 last time I was on MFP. I wasn't exactly underweight, but I found it very difficult to comfortably maintain that lower weight. And so I gave up, and here I am again two years later.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy, and it's your body and your decision, but it's just something to bear in mind.

You might find that strength exercises help you reach a desired body shape better than losing another few pounds, if that's what you're after.
  • amythomas9575
    amythomas9575 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much-this is very helpful.

I don't currently do any strength training so will probably try and incorporate that rather than just running.

I'm sure you're right about the extra calories-especially with alcohol on a Friday night after work! I suppose as an experiment, I could do is cut out alcohol for a month and see what effect it has on the scales!