Old fat and weak

Options
By my 20 Year old standards anyway.

I recently found MFP from my phone, and was surprised I've got five years of super intermittent data on it.

Going through some life rebuilding, biennial thing with me, traditionally. Falling back on my old staple: ketoish paleo with dairy and weights. Finding it hard to find motivation to do it right. Will try this community thing. Help?

40.2 years, 115 kg, 187 cm. That's medium in US imperial.

Replies

• callemiramar
    callemiramar Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm old (about to be 60), fat (213 lbs at 5'5"), but I absolutely refuse to be weak. I can't do anything about my age, but I intend to get rid of the fat, increase my flexibility, endurance, and strength.... Our diet is pretty much the same. If others can do it, why can't we? Add me if you like.
  • mokeone1
    mokeone1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just stay positive, and if you have trouble doing so, replace your negative thoughts of failure and defeat with something positive and uplifting, such as "I can do this. Nothing can keep me from my destiny. I'm a conquerer, and nothing can defeat me."

Just replace your negative thoughts of dought, defeat, can not, with positive thought and word replacement.

After a week of starting this, get a pad of paper and pen and start writing down positive affirmations(I am). I am (blank).

Examples to use:

I am joyous.

I am motivated.

I am determined.

I am willpower.

Write down 5 affirmations every other day for 2-3 months. After you've completed this, apply the results with your willpower and you'll accomplish your goals.

Hope this has helped. If you need any further help, feel free to ask.

• jonthemusse
    jonthemusse Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    For an ex it-guy I'm pretty internet shy, but if I go down the on-line friends road, I shall start with you two.

I tried this self motivational stuff once, I think I still have the paper. Paraphrased:

I am feeling silly.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and currently at 126 but started at 150.
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Stay positive and you will succeed.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm on a similar eating plan.. there's quite a few low carb, keto and paleo groups on here you may want to join too.
  • jonthemusse
    Options
    Hey, you're here too. Are friends here like in FB where the number of friends is a metric of your self worth, or does one keep the circlesmall and select and actually communicate?
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    Hey, you're here too. Are friends here like in FB where the number of friends is a metric of your self worth, or does one keep the circlesmall and select and actually communicate?

Who's here too... Are you talking to me??

I'll answer your question anyway!
    For some people - yes as many friends as you can get.. accepting without even talking to them etc etc.
    JUST like FB... For others, it actually is serious business being on here, and many do want real support. You'll find the ones who want to genuinely communicate with you will be the ones that send you a message with the friend request!
  • jonthemusse
    Options
    You had replied to both my posts 's all I meant. I appreciate the answers. I'll mull this over. My FB profile has only a curated set of people I know, and even that list is too long. This was a spur of the moment thing, and I've been typing for three hours! Getting involved here might mean a considerable investment in time, but I'm sure it'll be of benefit. The good thing is that people that choose to fight their weight do so to the grave. Could make for some long acquaintances.

Off to sleep.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    You had replied to both my posts 's all I meant. I appreciate the answers. I'll mull this over. My FB profile has only a curated set of people I know, and even that list is too long. This was a spur of the moment thing, and I've been typing for three hours! Getting involved here might mean a considerable investment in time, but I'm sure it'll be of benefit. The good thing is that people that choose to fight their weight do so to the grave. Could make for some long acquaintances.

Off to sleep.

Lol, I thought you knew me or something!
    Yeah I like to do a browse of the threads if I am up early hours of the morning.. and pick the ones I like the sound of - I guess your posts were interesting to me! lol
    You're right it will definitely take up a lot of your time if you get into it. But it will definitely be of benefit if you find the right people to talk to!
  • crankykissFp
    crankykissFp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i'm 65, had chemo and major surgery last year. i am 5'5" and got down to 118 because of my illness. i've always been concerned about my weight and wasn't unhappy about that number but i looked flabby and emaciated. i fell and was diagnosed with compression fractures of T11 and 12. one of my doctors said i could only do water therapy, so i joined a club with a pool. i started aqua therapy and aerobics. i got a trainer and since july i have worked out 3x/week + the water classes. i do elliptical, bicycle, steps, mat work which i can also do at home. i believe in support. i am lucky enough to have the trainer, but being around others who exercise is great, working out with someone else is great, focusing on the outcome you want is great. i am glad for the injury because it got me back into exercise that i've wanted for 20 years. i ran the marathon when i was 45, then quit much of any exercise all these years. now i am happy to see myself as being able to make progress at my age instead of watching myself deteriorate with aches and pains. i've recovered from cancer and am stronger than ever! it's never too late.
  • crankykissFp
    crankykissFp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    my trainer thinks i should weight about 140. i weigh 131.1 and holding. i gained a lot of muscle!
  • jonthemusse
    Options
    About any sentence of your post was impressive by itself. I've done a lot of things in my life, but apart from random children here and there, the most important thing I've accomplished is my stepfather whom I dragged kicking and screaming to the gym well on 12 years ago. He got laid off just before retirement, never exercised in his life, and was mentally and physically in a bad way. Two years of making sure he put the work in, he's now in his early 70's and has a bigger neck than I and walks tall. Four times a week, like clockwork. Different man. I can ask what he lifts now, if anyone in that age bracket gets interested.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Some people consider it a metric of their worth. Others prefer to keep their lists smaller so they can interact more. It's an individual thing. I suspect you've made a bit of a splash here with your humour.
  • jonthemusse
    Options
    It gets old soon enough.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It gets old soon enough.

Perhaps. I suspect that's why there's beer.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options