How much should i exercise a day?

Options
Im 205lbs 25 and 5feet tall. I eat 1300 calories a day. How many calories should i burn working out on the treadmill, swimming etc. is burnimg 600 calories a day exercising good?

Thanks!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    However much you would like to meet your fitness goals.

If your calorie goal comes from MFP, be aware that it's designed for you to eat back the calories burned through exercise since your goal already puts you at a deficit.
  • lillover45445
    lillover45445 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Of course im trying to lose as much as i can in a healthy way. So if i wouldnt exercise i would still lose?

Wouldnt you lose faster if you are more active?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Of course im trying to lose as much as i can in a healthy way. So if i wouldnt exercise i would still lose?

Your calorie goal from MFP already includes a deficit. If you make that deficit larger, you will want to eat at least some of those calories back so that you maintain your health and energy while losing weight. A bigger deficit isn't always better -- there is a limit to how much fat your body can break down at a time and if you lose more weight, it will come from your muscle.
  • lillover45445
    lillover45445 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mfp means? Sorry this is all new to me.
    So eating 1800 calories a day and burning 600 calories a day exercising would be better?
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    MFP = My Fitness Pal
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Exercise as much as you like. I would take time out to eat and sleep, however. :o
  • veliia
    veliia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Burning 600 calories is super hard. I only burn 110 with 30min of thr elliptical!
    Im 205lbs 25 and 5feet tall. I eat 1300 calories a day. How many calories should i burn working out on the treadmill, swimming etc. is burnimg 600 calories a day exercising good?

Thanks!!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Find an exercise routine that seems fun to you, and that you can enthusiastically continue for the foreseeable future.

For weight loss, that can be anything from no exercise, to nearly all of your waking/non-working hours (though you'd want to work your way up to the latter).

To retain the most muscle while losing weight (in addition to simply losing the weight), and to get stronger, do some form of progressive resistance exercise (such as weight lifting).

To improve your cardiac fitness, do something that gets your heart pumping via aerobic activity (or beyond aerobic, but work up to that, too).

Set your MFP deficit to lose no more than about 1% of your body weight per week, stick to that calorie goal, then add any level of exercise you prefer and eat most of those calories, too.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

You will lose weight even if you do not exercise, provided you are in a calorie deficit.

Exercise is great, however, not everybody can manage it, and it is not imperative to lose weight. A calorie deficit is.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Burning 600 calories would take me half the day in the gym. You don't want to burn out by spending hours and hours in the gym.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Walk 30 minutes twice a day while limiting your calorie intake, don't make your exercise excessive enough you can't keep up same with lowering your calorie intake to much to quick is setting yourself up for failure. Add from there if you want stronger results but beware feelings if fatige mean you stepped your calories down to quick.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    30-45 would be ideal.