How much weight to lose to drop a dress size?

Options
Hey all!

Obviously I understand that everyone is different and it will depend alot on different factors but I'm interested to know everyone's experience. How much weight did you lose before you went down a dress size?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I can't remember how much I had lost when I went down a size (started at about 165 lbs), maybe 10 or 15? But, scale weight going down doesn't always mean a size change. At one point I was the same weight, only fluctuating up and down 2-3 lbs, for about six months, but during that time I dropped a whole size, losing fat and inches that didn't reflect on the scale.

And of course we're all different, so it will vary from person to person how their weight/fat comes off and body size and shape changes. Consistency is key, be in it for the long term and be patient when things seem slow - it's worth it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I was down two sizes in jeans after losing 30 pounds.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It likely depends on the person and their overall body size I would think. But I lost one size already and have lost 24 lbs. I have another 10 I would like to lose. I was in a size 10/12 (depended on the clothing) and now in a 8/9 so not much difference. I'm hoping to get to size 6 but if not I don't care. I just want to be thin again and feel better.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Usually after 15lbs I'll see my pant size go down. Not sure on dress sizes because I've always felt too insecure with my weight to wear a dress!

Right now I'm inbetween sizes which is really frustrating because the weather is getting warmer. I'm trying to lose 2 more pounds and I'm hoping that will push me into the next pant size for some new shorts.
  • laurenm0304
    laurenm0304 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still at the very beginning of my journey - just having lost my first 6lbs but I'm very motivated and keen and I'm in it for the long run! Well done to you all on your weight loss so far; it sure isn't easy but so worth it.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am very short....so for me 5-10 pounds is one pants size
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    60lbs took me from 18 to a 10. I have wide hips though and went from an XL womens to XS womens in the same weight. 5'6
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 - I am barely in the next size down in pants and it really depends on the pants. Just depends completely on the person and your body shape and where you lose from. In shirts I can't wear an xl anymore so I am down a size comfortably there.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've dropped a size by loosing 20lbs, I'm quite tall though (5'8") so putting on weight and losing it doesn't make a huge change.
  • CarpStylist
    CarpStylist Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I dropped a dress size by losing 2 lbs. I'm pretty short and I'm moderately active on a daily basis so 2 lbs was a lot.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    For me, its about 10 lbs per size.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    For me it was about 25ish lbs and I dropped 2 sizes. I'm not entirely sure at what point I dropped one size, as I was making my clothes work as long as I could to avoid buying new ones lol. Now only a few pounds later I'm down almost another size. About 5 lbs was the difference between an 8 being tight on me and now being kind of loose on me.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I found that the heavier I was the more pounds it took to drop a size. It took me about 20 pounds to drop my first size (at 200LB and a size 14), 15 to drop another, then 10, then 7 then 5. Now sitting at a size 2/4 as little as 3 pounds of real gain (not water retention) will make my pants start to fit tighter.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8, with a big bust and big hips. I find it's roughly 20lbs a size in the plus sizes. Once I'm in a non-plus 14 through size 10, it's about 12lbs a size for me.
  • jcsgirl86
    jcsgirl86 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I dropped a size about every 10 lbs. I lost 50 lbs. and went from a 14 to a 4.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It took me about 20 pounds to lose one jean size.
    So I went from a size 9 to 7.
    But then after that I started losing very rapidly and before I knew it I was a size 0
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Agree that it depends on your starting weight/height/body type etc....

I started at 237 (5'-7") size 16/18 (16s were really pushing it though.) I dropped down to 193 2 years ago and was just starting to get comfortable in a 14 jean, 12 dress. Now that Im back up at 218, I'm still snugging myself into those 14s out of necessity, but boy do I not look as good in them! "Hello Muffin Top, I haven't seen you for a while!" I doubt I'd go down more until 180ish.
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and was in size 22 pants and plus size 2 tops at 230+ lbs. I don't remember what weight I was each time I dropped a size, but now at 197 lbs I wear size 14 pants and am between L and XL non plus size tops.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't know about sizes but I'm right around 15 pounds lost and I'm just starting to feel like my clothes (mostly size 12 or 14) are a little looser. 5'5"
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3". I started at about 225 and I was a size 18. They were snug, but fit. I have lost 42lbs (now 183) and I am wearing size 16 pants. I have one pair of size 14 pants that fit. I also have a pair of size 18 skinny jeans that fit. My shirt size however, has gone from an XL to a M.