Had 1477 calories today.

Options
I had only 1477 calories today and feel full but I need much more I am over 400 pounds and notice when my calories are low my blood pressure goes up when I go up my stairs.

The problem is when I eat healthy I find it hard getting calories in but when I eat bad no problem getting calories and my bp stays down.

Yes I also have high bp and am on meds for it.

Does anyone know how I can raise my calories with healthy foods to help keep my bp down when exerting myself.

Thanks

Replies

• closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Olives and avocados are both healthy high-calorie snacks. Put a couple of tablespoons of olive oil on a salad. Nuts, especially macadamia nuts, are also a good high-calorie snack with a favorable fatty acid profile.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Catman- why don't you save those calories for tomorrow?
    I do it all the time.
    I call it "banking calories".
    One night a weekend I have beer/redbox/popcorn movie night. Banking calories allows this.
    There is an entry called - Calorie Bank Placeholder Calories
    you gotta live right?
    * I've never heard of not eating bringing up blood pressure.
    * Start tracking your sodium ! What did you eat yesterday? Not logging? A high sodium meal can affect blood pressure for days.
  • canadacatman
    canadacatman Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time.
    One night a weekend I have beer/redbox/popcorn movie night. Banking calories allows this.
    you gotta live right?

The main reason why is because of my blood pressure, if my calories are low during the day later on in the day my blood pressure rises dramatically when I go up and down the stairs in my house.

Example all day was 150/96 when I walk up the stairs then I sit and 1 minute later it's 128/84. Now today calories were so low last time I walked up the stairs bp was 177/104 then again one minute later was 130/88.

Thanks
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you are eating "diet" anything, swap it for the regular versions. Those will add some calories.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you are immediately worried about how this will impact your BP, find those calories. Peanut butter, nuts, make a piece of buttered toast if you need to. And generally speaking, you might talk to your doctor about this asap.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time.
    you gotta live right?

The main reason why is because of my blood pressure, if my calories are low during the day later on in the day my blood pressure rises dramatically when I go up and down the stairs in my house.

Example all day was 150/96 when I walk up the stairs then I sit and 1 minute later it's 128/84. Now today calories were so low last time I walked up the stairs bp was 177/104 then again one minute later was 130/88.

Thanks

well when you walk up the stairs your blood pressure will rise,when it lowers are you resting? if you think there is a problem see a dr. but less than 1500 for a man is too little unless under a drs care,and at your weight you could eat more you just need higher calorie foods.I agree with janet,watch your sodium.
  • sannells
    sannells Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Worth trying a paleo type diet to condition your body to metabolize fat, particularly the fat that surrounds your internal organs that may be the cause of your high BP.

Its a great diet as you have to eat a lot of fat, which keeps you satiated and free of hunger pains, but you have to reduce the carbs and throw in a few kilometers of walking or other exercise each day. Probably best to do it under medical supervision.

Reducing the carbohydrates is not fun if you have been knocking back a lot of sugary sweet stuff, but in 3 days the you can overcome this discomfort. Its worth it. I used the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson, which worked for me as I don't like going hungry. There is an informative podcast in iTunes where Mark Sisson is interviewed by Mark Divine of Sealfit (Peak ‘Primal’ Performance – Mark Sisson). He explains clearly why it works and why we have our diet all *kitten* about face.
  • Parfumista
    Parfumista Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This is possibly going to sound super rude, for which I'm sorry.
    But as long as you hit your micros and macros for the day with about 1500 calories I wouldn't worry about eating more at your current weight. Going up the stairs is hard on your body at 400 lbs, imagine a 250 lbs person carrying a 150 lbs person - nobody would ever argue that this isn't a strenuous activity getting your blood pressure up.
    Our bodies can get about 30 calories per pound of excess body fat per day. With over 50 % of body fat that's 6000 calories your body could get from burning fat. That's plenty of energy.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You need to see your doctor about your blood pressure, not ask strangers on here about it. That's nothing to play around with. Hope you feel better.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can add olive oil & butter & nuts to lots of foods to increase your cals, which was the original question.
  • RunningMermaid
    RunningMermaid Posts: 28 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have the exact same issue with BP but in a reverse order when i'm low on calories, If i hit the gym and havent gotten close to around 1200 by gym time my blood pressure drops to the point where I'm borderline passing out and I have to make sure to it down after every set and try to stay conscious. Peanut butter, nuts, avacados, and my favorite slightly high calories but I consider balance meal, is rice and veggies.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This is the ONLY day you have logged. Just this ONE day. So, honestly, I do not get the reason behind this post. Unless it is to convince yourself that losing weight will somehow negatively affect your health and eat 5000 calories because it is good for your blood pressure.
    Also someone worried about BP is supposed to track and limit sodium too. Which your SINGLE day of logging does not indicate you are doing.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Try eating more than one meal a day.

I think you have a bit of work to do on how to manage your food and food diary and how you think about weight loss. You don't have to hit your calorie goal in one sitting.

If 1400 calories was really making you so stuffed you could not eat more you would not be over 400 pounds. So obviously you know how to eat more.

Have a look at my diary. It's open and I easily hit a goal of 21-2400 calories every day. Maybe it will give you some ideas.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Do you check your bp every minute? It doesn't surprise me at all that an overweight person such as you or I would raise bp by climbing stairs. I climb stairs, it's work, I get to the top, and it stops being work. Your numbers don't alarm me for the "it's work" moments of life. It's been a few years since I was close to 400 lb. I now take a 81 mg aspirin and supplements of magnesium and potassium to help keep my bp in a comfy range. However, when I get on the treadmill and do work, I expect my bp to rise.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I had only 1477 calories today and feel full but I need much more I am over 400 pounds and notice when my calories are low my blood pressure goes up when I go up my stairs.

The problem is when I eat healthy I find it hard getting calories in but when I eat bad no problem getting calories and my bp stays down.

Yes I also have high bp and am on meds for it.

Does anyone know how I can raise my calories with healthy foods to help keep my bp down when exerting myself.

Thanks

If you are having trouble getting enough because your appetite is poor try eating smaller amounts of higher calorie foods spread out throughout your day instead of a big meal.
    Eat chicken thighs or beef instead of chicken breast all the time. Get some salmon.
    Hummus, guacamole, bananas, nut butters, potatoes. Have some full fat dairy.
    If you have eggs have the whole egg instead of egg whites- almost all the nutrition is in the yolk and you need the calories.
    It is easy to add some calories to your diet with small amounts of salad dressing, condiments, butter, olive oil, etc. Nuts have a lot of calories for a small amount.
    Try pre-logging your day to make sure you are hitting your goals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you've swapped out "low fat" foods for regular foods such as dairy, swap them back. If you still need more calories, eat avocados, nuts, add olive oil etc.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a jerk here... but... could your blood pressure be rising due to the fact that you are 400 pounds and performing activity like stairs? I think any activity raises blood pressure, and i know as a relatively fit female walking up stairs raises my blood pressure.

When you get your blood pressure taken it should be at rest, or first thing in the morning.

as far as i know caloric intake DOES NOT have a correlation with blood pressure, OTHER THAN a low caloric diet being helpful for reducing total overall weight very quickly, which correlates with lower blood pressure or resolution of hypertension. Matter of fact, most patients your current size with high blood pressure are prescribed VLCD by their physician (ranging from 800-1200 calories per day) to rapidly improve health markers.

Here's just a few things you can read for more information.

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/very-low-calorie-diets/Pages/very-low-calorie-diets.aspx
    http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/very-low-calorie-diets/Documents/verylowcaldietsbw.pdf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1615878
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19218718
  • Maliroads86
    Maliroads86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I do it all the time.
    you gotta live right?

Thanks

How many times a day are you checking your blood pressure? You know that it will change with activity, right? It's why we have patients sit for at least 15 minutes before checking it when they are first getting up and moving, or if they have been walking around more than usual. Check with your doctor. Sounds like you are eating too low anyway, but I wonder if you aren't stressing yourself out too much over repeated BP readings.
    I do it all the time.
    you gotta live right?

Thanks

How many times a day are you checking your blood pressure? You know that it will change with activity, right? It's why we have patients sit for at least 15 minutes before checking it when they are first getting up and moving, or if they have been walking around more than usual. Check with your doctor. Sounds like you are eating too low anyway, but I wonder if you aren't stressing yourself out too much over repeated BP readings.
    I do it all the time.
    you gotta live right?

Thanks

I do it all the time.
    you gotta live right?

Thanks