Calories burned in yard work???

ctinio
ctinio Posts: 5
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone know the calories burned digging holes, shoveling dirt or rock, and a whole lot of scraping the ground? The general gardening category might work but I don't know if the shoveling and digging gets more than scraping with a hoe etc.

Replies

• azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    I've always used the general gardening category for any yard work I've done. There is a shoveling snow category that might get you closer though.
  • Lanceeee
    Lanceeee Posts: 6 Member
    I think it will burn many more calories as that is hard work. Last summer I dug up old rock and put new rock down. I moved a couple of tons of rock and dirt around by wheelbarrow. It is definitely more of a work out than general gardening, riding a bike, or hiking.
  • fitrobb
    fitrobb Posts: 16
    I use that as well, but I have no idea if the calories are right. All the people who are serious about tracking their calories talk about HRM's (heart rate monitor, I had to look it up.) I think they run from $40-$90 for entry level model from what I have read.
  • taurus39
    taurus39 Posts: 26
    I was outside for around 5 hrs. in 95 degree weather working on putting in an electrical fence. Not hard work but I was standing and walking the whole time I was out there. Wondering where I would put that under what category.
  • fitrobb
    fitrobb Posts: 16
    Taurus39..first of all can I hire you ;) I would go with mowing lawn, but you've probably already picked one. All the walking and pushing should be a good ball park for all the other stuff you did like dig post holes. If it was not that intense, you could go with gardening (general)
This discussion has been closed.