Houmous/Hummus

Options
ghudson92
ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
Is the fat in houmous classed as a "good fat"? I rarely eat it, but when I do I tend to eat a 200g pot. Is this harmful to my weight loss efforts? Should I avoid it as it takes my mfp stats in to the negative for fat and also has a lot of calories? Thank you.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories. And if it's not transfat, then are in ok shape. If it's mainly unsaturated fats, then it can be helpful to lowering cholesterol. Saturated fats are still suggested to be limited.

But hummus is fine. Just make sure it fits your calories.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Make your own hummus with EVOO. That way you can control the fat you put in.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    One brand at a store - first ingredient was soybean oil
    They do this to make it cheaper and taste better.

Agree. Make your own !!! Use better oils or even tahinni.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Humus is good for you! Its should be made with olive oil which is very good. Humus is a good substitute for butter. Has a lot of nutrients including fibre. I think that's good you like it. Much nicer and cheaper if you make it yourself. Just make it fit into your calorie count.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I buy it once a month for a treat but wasn't sure about the fat. I will try making it next month :-)
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hummus is a staple in my diet. It would be really bad if it was bad for me!
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Is there anything wrong with soybean oil?
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    One brand at a store - first ingredient was soybean oil
    They do this to make it cheaper and taste better.

Agree. Make your own !!! Use better oils or even tahinni.

what's wrong with soybean oil?
  • 6pkdreamer
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I buy it once a month for a treat but wasn't sure about the fat. I will try making it next month :-)

I make a lot of humus and change it round from the traditional for variety.
    Suggest you start with dried chick peas rather than canned- cheaper but you have to soak first overnight and cook. Use fresh ingredients ie garlic not out of a jar. Fresh lemon not out of a bottle.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I eat hummus regularly. If you think the brand you're buying has too much fat make your own instead. It's super easy to make.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Houmous
  • 6pkdreamer
    Options

Ya gotta get your calories for the day from somewhere. The macro nutrients Protein, Fats and Carbohydrates equals calories. Ie. P+F+C=calories. If you reduce say Fats the others have to increase for the calories to be still the same. A traditionally made hummus/ houmus has tahini (ground up sesame seeds) and olive oil both very good for you. Low in saturated fats plus other benifits. Just allow for the calories in your day as your better off dropping other sugary carbohydrates.