Logging a CrossFit workout

Options
I just started doing CrossFit and went to record my exercise for today. The workout was squats, pushups, ring rows and running. The only activity that shows a calorie burn is running. That can't be correct. How do other CrossFit folks track their workouts?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Circuit training or anything similar to what you did under the Cardio section. The strength training section is just for tracking.
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper to track all my exercise. It calculates Crossfit to be about 600 calories an hour (for me). It then automatically synchs with MFP but it comes in as "Aerobics" on MFP.

However - since CF is normally only about 30 minutes of HIIT (usually 1 to 2 METCONS for a total of 30-40 minutes) - I will enter it in as an hour - but then adjust the calories. I also know that I burn about 200 calories an hour doing high intensity (but slower) weight training. So... if I did a crossfit class that was 30 minutes of metcon and the rest weight training, I enter in an hour and then change the calories to about 400 calories for the hour.

• ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i changed today's workout to circuit training and it upped my calorie burn, though a nearly 400 calorie burn for a 34 minute workout seems *too* high.
  • ElemFE
    ElemFE Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How do you track it on Runkeeper? It looks like I can only track running, cycling, walking and swimming.
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ElemFE wrote: »
    How do you track it on Runkeeper? It looks like I can only track running, cycling, walking and swimming.

You can log an entry and Crossfit is an option. This is not "live" tracking but entering the activity in manually. Since I have 4 years of run history - I keep all my workouts in RK so all my activity be it a run, strength train, bike ride, kayak, hike, or Crossfit is all recorded in one place.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i changed today's workout to circuit training and it upped my calorie burn, though a nearly 400 calorie burn for a 34 minute workout seems *too* high.

then only eat back a portion if you feel it's too high.

• frugalshrimp
    frugalshrimp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    a 400 calorie burn for 34 minutes is not too high. As a runner, I calculate about 100 calories per mile (assuming 10 minutes per mile, with is not a killer pace). So that would be about 300 for 30 minutes. The heavier you are, the bigger the calorie burn. So my guess is that you are probably burning that much!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor, and calculate mine that way. It's just easier, because otherwise I've found that trying to log it as "circuit training" is usually too low, and logging individual exercises is entirely too much work.