Depression and motivation?

Options
So I've been dealing with depression lately, and I have to struggle to motivate myself to get out of bed and go to class, never mind exercising. (Anyone who says that exercise helps depression, I am aware that that is *technically* true sometimes, but I am currently too tired to do it thanks to... depression.) I'm not really binging or anything, but I also haven't been very concerned with calories. Anyone have a similar experience or tips for how to deal with it? Thanks!

Replies

• BradW99
    BradW99 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not a doctor, but good luck with everything. I hope you can find the willpower to get out of your slump. Stay strong.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am well experienced with depression and everything that goes with it. It's extra hard whilst trying to lose weight if you are dealing with comfort eating, tiredness, no motivation etc.
    Here is how I handled things... WARNING - these aren't recommendations, as some of the ways I "dealt" with things are highly controversial... But this is what got me though... so

1) I didn't exercise - can easily lose weight with dieting alone
    2) I would drink alot.. I would calorie count it and drink it with diet soda.. I have never been one of those people who is starving after drinking, complete opposite so it worked for me.
    3) I took up smoking.. (yes, I know...) but it decreased my appetite and gave me something to "do" and I found the stress relief welcome.
    4) I would sleep most of the time. When I was sleeping, I couldn't eat. Period.
    5) I lived on a lot of sweets (candy) and not much else.

Now none of these are going to be particularly helpful to you I know.. and the drastic measures I took above were put of pure desperation and because I didn't really care about anything in the slightest, even my health.
    I guess the only 2 things you could take away from that is sleeping more could help you not eat so much.. and the losing weight without exercise can happen (however this will only work if you do care enough to count calories)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help - just wanted to post and say I know how it feels!
  • ladyceee
    ladyceee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am currently in the same boat. I am having major difficulty just trying to be a semi functional human being, however, I recently started drinking a lot more water and I have noticed I haven't felt like I was starving. I get full faster and still maintain at least 1200 calories a day. I down loaded a water tracker & it reminds me when to drink it & the intake is calculated off your BMI so you are getting the right amount without causing fluid overload. It also helps two of my aunts are trying to lose weight also which gives me a little more motivation to keep going. Wish you all the best!
  • SoulOfRusalka
    Options
    I am well experienced with depression and everything that goes with it. It's extra hard whilst trying to lose weight if you are dealing with comfort eating, tiredness, no motivation etc.
    Here is how I handled things... WARNING - these aren't recommendations, as some of the ways I "dealt" with things are highly controversial... But this is what got me though... so

2) I would drink alot.. I would calorie count it and drink it with diet soda.. I have never been one of those people who is starving after drinking, complete opposite so it worked for me.
    3) I took up smoking.. (yes, I know...) but it decreased my appetite and gave me something to "do" and I found the stress relief welcome.

Now none of these are going to be particularly helpful to you I know.. and the drastic measures I took above were put of pure desperation and because I didn't really care about anything in the slightest, even my health.
    I guess the only 2 things you could take away from that is sleeping more could help you not eat so much.. and the losing weight without exercise can happen (however this will only work if you do care enough to count calories)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help - just wanted to post and say I know how it feels!

Thank you. I'm sorry you've had to deal with this too. And if those were your most controversial coping methods I think you did pretty well! Smoking and drinking are out for me because of various health problems, but I have been living off sweets more than I should. And definitely sleeping more than I should. Nice to know that it is possible to lose even if you can't find the energy to exercise.

I hope you're doing better now!
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Thank you. I'm sorry you've had to deal with this too. And if those were your most controversial coping methods I think you did pretty well! Smoking and drinking are out for me because of various health problems, but I have been living off sweets more than I should. And definitely sleeping more than I should. Nice to know that it is possible to lose even if you can't find the energy to exercise.

I hope you're doing better now!

I am a lifetime sufferer of darkness and depression, lol so still very much in the middle of it, but not where I used to be at all. I am doing a different way of eating now, which feels better for me and is a lot healthier (maybe it's because i'm in a better place myself)
    Thanks for saying I did pretty well - I can see me getting slated for my comments above, but I'm past the point of caring. Whatever you are doing... if you still want to lose weight whilst being in this dark hole.. carry on with the sweets if that's what makes you feel good - just don't go over your calorie allowance :)
  • crankykissFp
    crankykissFp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i am very familiar with depression. i believe in medical treatment. i am on medication and have had a lot of psychotherapy which has been a life saver. research indicates that the most effective outcome for depression is a combination of medication and psychotherapy. the psychotherapy is educational about what depression is all about. it is complicated: a combination of genetics, environment, social resources, family and friend relationships, economic resources, etc. it is helpful to have a referral from someone you know. most general practitioners' knowledge of depression is limited tho they prescribe the most antidepressants, partly because people can't afford a psychiatrist. but a psychiatrist knows about the range of medications and options and is the best resource for medication. a psychotherapist can be an LPC, LCSW, psychologist-they all do the same talk therapy altho some specialize with certain populations: adults, children, or certain illnesses such as depression, anxiety, Attention Deficit Disorder . i also have Attention Deficit Disorder and have discovered that it also is best managed with medication and "strategies"! don't pass go...go directly to a doctor. Attention Deficit Disorder is a lifelong challenge so if you have it, start now to learn about it and get treatment.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    BradW99 wrote: »
    Not a doctor, but good luck with everything. I hope you can find the willpower to get out of your slump. Stay strong.

Slump in mood and depression are entirely different phenomenon. Nice way to minimize mental illness.

My best advice is get yourself help. To even think about losing weight you should be bringing your A game to the table and be as healthy as possible on the mental side first. Whatever recovery is for you, find it.

I found myself far too depressed to begin my weight loss journey. Ended up pushing myself to an edge I never needed approach. Taking a month off to self examine and heal was all I needed, but may not be the case for everyone. See a doctor if you need!
  • TripleA1328
    TripleA1328 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have bi-polar and without someone telling me get up take a shower take your medication etc I would just sleep my life away thankfully I have my wonderful parents and dogs to keep me going with every day life but need motivation to eat healthy and exercise
  • BradW99
    BradW99 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »

Slump in mood and depression are entirely different phenomenon. Nice way to minimize mental illness.

Okay lady. Re-read my first statement. I'm giving the guy encouragement.

I hope you get out of your slump! You can lose the weight. Prove these hater trolls wrong.

• saraAmcd
    saraAmcd Posts: 81 Member
    Options

My best advice is get yourself help. To even think about losing weight you should be bringing your A game to the table and be as healthy as possible on the mental side first. Whatever recovery is for you, find it.

I found myself far too depressed to begin my weight loss journey. Ended up pushing myself to an edge I never needed approach. Taking a month off to self examine and heal was all I needed, but may not be the case for everyone. See a doctor if you need!

Nice way to poop on someone who was trying to be nice.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    Options

Okay lady. Re-read my first statement. I'm giving the guy encouragement.

I hope you get out of your slump! You can lose the weight. Prove these hater trolls wrong.

No one's a hater troll. Depression's not a slump (bit like the difference between mono and fibromyalgia) but I appreciate that you were being nice. Thank you both.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    Options
    i am very familiar with depression. i believe in medical treatment. i am on medication and have had a lot of psychotherapy which has been a life saver. research indicates that the most effective outcome for depression is a combination of medication and psychotherapy. the psychotherapy is educational about what depression is all about. it is complicated: a combination of genetics, environment, social resources, family and friend relationships, economic resources, etc. it is helpful to have a referral from someone you know. most general practitioners' knowledge of depression is limited tho they prescribe the most antidepressants, partly because people can't afford a psychiatrist. but a psychiatrist knows about the range of medications and options and is the best resource for medication. a psychotherapist can be an LPC, LCSW, psychologist-they all do the same talk therapy altho some specialize with certain populations: adults, children, or certain illnesses such as depression, anxiety, Attention Deficit Disorder . i also have Attention Deficit Disorder and have discovered that it also is best managed with medication and "strategies"! don't pass go...go directly to a doctor. Attention Deficit Disorder is a lifelong challenge so if you have it, start now to learn about it and get treatment.

Yeah, I've got a therapist but I can't start seeing a psychiatrist for a month or so, so I'm just trying to deal with it in the meantime.
  • AnchoredInLove87
    AnchoredInLove87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from depression for about 18 years now. (At 28, that's almost 2/3 of my life!) So I'm VERY familiar with what you're going through. As it is, my weight has fluctuated a lot. Currently, I'm at my heaviest ever! What I've found works for me is:

1) Don't hide your illness. Enlist the help of people you love. I know this can be extremely scary, but if they are truly people who love you, they will support you in ANY way they can and that you need. Ask them to take walks with you! That is exercise, it gets you out into fresh air, AND it keeps the isolation at bay.

2) In moments like the one that prompted you to ask for our help and advice, get up and move. Do a few stretches. Take a 5 minute stroll around the house or block. Turn on the radio and dance to a song (or 2 or 10!). Usually a few minutes of motion is all it takes to start those endorphins flowing....and if you start to feel even a smidge better, BRAVO! You may even find that the 5 minute walk turns into 30.

3) Try making a schedule! Plan out your day in 30-60 minute blocks. I don't know about you, but I feel like that gives me manageable tasks to do. I didn't always COMPLETELY stick to it, but having a plan like that gave me SOMETHING to look forward to and kept my brain from wandering too far away and into the depression.

4) Lastly, take it one day and activity at a time! Every small step you take to overcome a moment of a depression is a huge win! You start to find out more and more what works for you, and it helps you on the way to successfully living with it or completely getting past it.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    For me, I was not able to begin my weight-loss journey until my meds were in order. I spent a lot of years trying different meds and not getting it quite right, and the depression and anxiety would keep me from doing the things I know I should. At the beginning of this year, I finally felt like I was in a good enough place to start trying to lose weight. I find that exercise helps me immensely, even if it's just going and taking a short walk around the block, whatever you can muster.

It also took a major shift in attitude for me to get on track with weight loss. I had to stop thinking, "I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT NOW!!" because that wasn't helping me, only making me feel worse. Instead, I had to start thinking, "I want to take better care of my health." And I found that taking steps to manage my physical health (eating healthy, exercising) caused an improvement in my mental health.
  • imamomwifedaughter
    imamomwifedaughter Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Firlt24 wrote: »
    I have bi-polar and without someone telling me get up take a shower take your medication etc I would just sleep my life away thankfully I have my wonderful parents and dogs to keep me going with every day life but need motivation to eat healthy and exercise

When I'm in a depression my dog is my lifesaver. I have great family but it's the connection with my dog that really helps, he doesn't judge me. I cherish him so. I find it impossible to be around other people during this time, some people still believe you can talk yourself out of it! Someone said to me the other day, 'life is a vacation if you want it to be' and she is aware of my depression. I was furious with her. My life is NOT a vacation! It does help to read all these posts and know that others get it. THANK YOU ALL!
  • SoulOfRusalka
    Options
    Firlt24 wrote: »

When I'm in a depression my dog is my lifesaver. I have great family but it's the connection with my dog that really helps, he doesn't judge me. I cherish him so. I find it impossible to be around other people during this time, some people still believe you can talk yourself out of it! Someone said to me the other day, 'life is a vacation if you want it to be' and she is aware of my depression. I was furious with her. My life is NOT a vacation! It does help to read all these posts and know that others get it. THANK YOU ALL!

That has to be up there with "just think positive!" I understand that these people are trying to help, but would you tell someone with a broken leg to "just heal the bone and start walking around!"?
    Dogs are the best. I miss mine :'( but I'll get to see her in a month!
    For me, I was not able to begin my weight-loss journey until my meds were in order. I spent a lot of years trying different meds and not getting it quite right, and the depression and anxiety would keep me from doing the things I know I should. At the beginning of this year, I finally felt like I was in a good enough place to start trying to lose weight. I find that exercise helps me immensely, even if it's just going and taking a short walk around the block, whatever you can muster.

It also took a major shift in attitude for me to get on track with weight loss. I had to stop thinking, "I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT NOW!!" because that wasn't helping me, only making me feel worse. Instead, I had to start thinking, "I want to take better care of my health." And I found that taking steps to manage my physical health (eating healthy, exercising) caused an improvement in my mental health.

Yeah, I have a feeling meds will really help. I'm starting as soon as I can. And I'm definitely going to try to just take better care of myself in general. Thank you :)
  • SoulOfRusalka
    Options
    I've suffered from depression for about 18 years now. (At 28, that's almost 2/3 of my life!) So I'm VERY familiar with what you're going through. As it is, my weight has fluctuated a lot. Currently, I'm at my heaviest ever! What I've found works for me is:

1) Don't hide your illness. Enlist the help of people you love. I know this can be extremely scary, but if they are truly people who love you, they will support you in ANY way they can and that you need. Ask them to take walks with you! That is exercise, it gets you out into fresh air, AND it keeps the isolation at bay.

2) In moments like the one that prompted you to ask for our help and advice, get up and move. Do a few stretches. Take a 5 minute stroll around the house or block. Turn on the radio and dance to a song (or 2 or 10!). Usually a few minutes of motion is all it takes to start those endorphins flowing....and if you start to feel even a smidge better, BRAVO! You may even find that the 5 minute walk turns into 30.

3) Try making a schedule! Plan out your day in 30-60 minute blocks. I don't know about you, but I feel like that gives me manageable tasks to do. I didn't always COMPLETELY stick to it, but having a plan like that gave me SOMETHING to look forward to and kept my brain from wandering too far away and into the depression.

4) Lastly, take it one day and activity at a time! Every small step you take to overcome a moment of a depression is a huge win! You start to find out more and more what works for you, and it helps you on the way to successfully living with it or completely getting past it.

Thank you so much! This is really good advice and encouragement :)
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Depression is really tough, my wife has battled it for years. It looks like you are seeking treatment as your situation allows (insurance?). Finding the right medication for you can do wonders but it's not a simple exercise. Look for a really good psychiatrist (another tall order) that can work with you on finding the right combination of meds that helps you without too many bad side effects. Keep an open mind on nutrition and exercise too--there are solutions sometimes found in diet adjustments. I'm glad you are reaching out--everyone needs help from time to time.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry that you're struggling. I understand that black hole that seems impossible to claw your way out of.
    I was there, not very long ago. You need to speak to your doctor. My doctor has helped me tremendously without anti-depressants.