Anyone on trazadone?

Options
Anyone on trazadone? Have you gained weight or had issues losing?

Replies

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I was on it for 15 years to help me sleep. I actually just quit 2 months ago. It has had no impact on my weight. I didn't gain or lose when I got on it, and I haven't had a lost that I can attribute to stopping trazodone. Hope this helps.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I take trazadone and have had no issue with losing weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a very brief time but discontinued it b/c it made me feel hungover in the AM. I sleep better with regular exercise and sublingual melatonin.
  • Shellymarie604
    Shellymarie604 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you I am on a few medications that cause weight gain and am wondering if this one is the offender.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Don't tlisten to everything your meds say about weight loss or gain. My wife is on meds her Dr's said would make her gain like 30 pounds, she's an overachiever and put on 35. Last year she dropped 50, while on those same meds. I saw the look on her DR'S face, absolutely priceless!
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've been on Trazodone for several years. I've lost 74 pounds in the last year and a half - no problem at all from the drug.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have a bottle of it in my night table, but I hate it...I find it gives me severe dry mouth, which wakes me up all nite ...I'd rather take a Sleepeze or Unisom. But I digressed, no, I didn't notice any difference in my weight while taking it. When I was gaining, I was gaining, but that was me and food. ;)
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am on it and hasn't affected weight.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Been on it a long time. Have done several bulk/cut cycles, didn't have any problems.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i didn't have any issues with it
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    been on it for over 24 years and no issues.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Thank you I am on a few medications that cause weight gain and am wondering if this one is the offender.

Generally meds don't directly cause weight gain but can increase appetite. There are ways to manage that. Some people eat a lot of high volume, low calorie food. I find I get fuller faster when I have sufficient fiber and protein.

My brother is on several meds known to increase appetite but because of his diet and exercise, he lost the weight he gained in the hospital (where he had less satiating food and opportunities to exercise) and has maintained this loss for almost two years.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    How much are you on? If you're taking 100-200 mgs for sleep, then I doubt it's affecting your weight. But if you're taking more than 400 mgs, then it could very well affect your weight. It's an old anti-depressant and used at therapeutic doses could cause weight gain or weight loss. All antidepressants can affect weight in some people. I've been on it for years and I've lost a lot of weight in the last year with no problems. But everyone is different.
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I take 450mg of trazodone daily and have done for 5 years. I've noticed no difference to my weight on it, I can lose at the same rate I did without it
  • Shellymarie604
    Options
    I take it for sleep and am on a dose of 200 MG.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a while and it didn't effect my weight.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    How many mg do you guys take for sleep with trazadone?
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    150 mg.
  • Shellymarie604
    Options
    sarsather wrote: »
    How many mg do you guys take for sleep with trazadone?

200 MG. Only thing that helps me with sleep.