When Did I Get So Lazy?

Options
mommy1364
mommy1364 Posts: 13 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I need help! Possibly a good kick in the butt. I had a pretty big life transition this past January. I got out of the military, moved back home, started school full time for nursing as well as being the mommy of a 2yr. old. I took a hard left off the weight loss/maintaining track. Before moving I was running all the time because I'd FINALLY gotten to a place where I enjoyed it and was able to run long distance. I was doing really well right after the transition and made sure I stayed on track. As soon as we got settled in the new house I went and got a gym membership and was going almost everyday. Then of course my school work became more important & time consuming and Michigan winter is not one that I want to be trudging in to get to the gym. The cold weather was my biggest excuse. But, now the semester is almost over and I find myself to be very lazy, tired, making excuses, and eating like crap. Not to mention I've put on more weight than I want to accept. I need help/motivation/support/reality check...anything to get me off my butt and eating right!

-Feeling lazy in Michigan

Replies

• DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Gained 12 pounds this Michigan winter. Was well in my way to running a 5k until it became impossible to run outside. This late late spring has led to sloth and gluttony. I need sunshine and fresh warm air! I was doing well until Jan. Haven't been able to get back on track since.
  • Jburlen2007
    Jburlen2007 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Fellow Michiganders, eh! Spring is around the corner.

My advice is to start small. Don't ponder on the fact that you used to be able to run far, youll get back to it with time. Every small step you can take to form a habit will help you progress.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like a case of burnout. Maybe after school is complete try to get in a good week or two vacation so you can recharge. You certainly don't sound lazy.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Here's your kick in the butt! Why's the snow a reason to not get out to the gym, though? Unless the roads are unusable and you can't get anywhere, isn't it just like any other drive like to school or work? Why wouldn't you go just because of some snow on the ground? Same thing I wonder when people can't or don't get out because it's raining. You won't not go to work unless there's like a hurricane or something, amirite??
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Here's your kick in the butt! Why's the snow a reason to not get out to the gym, though? Unless the roads are unusable and you can't get anywhere, isn't it just like any other drive like to school or work? Why wouldn't you go just because of some snow on the ground? Same thing I wonder when people can't or don't get out because it's raining. You won't not go to work unless there's like a hurricane or something, amirite??

Nah, I'd probably still go to work in a hurricane. The debt collectors don't care how you got the money, they only care when you don't got the money HA HA:)
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the gym is a controlled climate ;). It does sound like you got burnt out trying to put your focus in too many places. Giving yourself a little break isn't a bad idea. I'd say fix the diet first. At least track what you are eating into MFP. If you are eating over maintenance seeing the "if everyday were like today you'd weigh blank in five weeks" number rise might be enough motivation to get back on track. I also agree to buying whatever gym equipment you fancy for your house if you have the means and space. I have weightlifting equipment and an elliptical at home and it's sooooo much easier for me.
  • Texas2Fit
    Texas2Fit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    First, thank you for serving! I was in the same funk for several years; I can relate to the lack of motivation. Recently, I have taken to reading the MFP success stories, and motivation threads. I find that if I read even just a few of these before I leave work everyday, I am much more likely to get home, change into my walking gear, and just get out and do it. Also, my wife of 40+ years got me a Fit bit for Valentine's Day (my first thought was kinda WTF?!?!) and it really made me realize how little I was moving. That was the other motivator to just do it.
  • EmPersson
    EmPersson Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I agree that when it's cold, going to the gym is *not* my idea of fun! All the layers you have to wear to get in, and it immediately feels like a sauna, then leaving when you're sweaty and having to put all the layers back on... it is *not* like going anywhere else in the winter. If you have room for it, I suggest the craigslist equipment idea. But, there are also other smaller items, like that tiny elliptical I've seen advertised, and other things like a pedal machine that you can use while sitting at a desk. These might be nice to get if you see yourself sitting to study a lot. But, the quickest, easiest win would be to fix the diet. Don't deny yourself everything all at once, just pick a fruit or a veggie instead of some chips for a snack one day and you'll immediately feel like a conqueror! :-)
  • sarahearra
    sarahearra Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When you are too overwhelmed to get a good workout in, look for options where you can get some exercise and study like stationary bikes, stair climbers, or power walking on treadmills. It's not as good of a workout because you will probably need to slow down to read, but it is still something on the days where it seems like you have too much to do. I'm from Chicago, and totally get the "it's too cold to leave the house" feeling, so I second the look for an inexpensive treadmill on Craigslist if you have the space. On a similar note, now that the weather is improving, turn playtime with your two year old into mini workouts, like jogging along the tricycle or climbing around on the playground equipment as well.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Texan transplanted to Michigan so I get it. My first two winters here were the arctic vortex followed by the new all time record for snow in the area. This winter wasn't as bad.

For me it takes a goal with a date to overcome procrastination. Yes, generally frowned upon here on MFP, but I got myself to the gym through the entire winter because not doing that would most likely mean not reaching my goal.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Yeah, Texan transplanted to Michigan so I get it. My first two winters here were the arctic vortex followed by the new all time record for snow in the area. This winter wasn't as bad.

For me it takes a goal with a date to overcome procrastination. Yes, generally frowned upon here on MFP, but I got myself to the gym through the entire winter because not doing that would most likely mean not reaching my goal.

I don't think there's anything wrong with attaching a date to your goal. If the goal is reasonable and you're not so emotionally attached to that date that you'd roll over and die if you failed to meet it, there's really no reason not to use it as a motivational tool. I think more often than not, what people see on here is "I need to lose 30 lbs by my wedding!" and the wedding is in a month. That's crazy. What you're doing is sound strategy, big difference.

I do sort of the same thing, except rather than saying, "I will be Xlbs by X date" I say "If I continue my current progress without blowing off logging or exercise, I will likely reach Xlbs by this date." Then I've got incentive not to blow off logging because wow how cool would it be if I actually did this by X date?!
  • TheGramminator
    TheGramminator Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I relate to everything you said. I too am trying to get back on track - but having a hard time staying motivated. Reading stuff like your blog and realizing I am not alone helps. Trying to stay in the day. The other day I had a bit of a realization that there are two things that are really holding me back - lack of patience, I want to lose the weight I've gained NOW! The other thing is not believing in myself. I can, and will, do this again. And you can too - don't give up!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Last fall I made a resolution to not let the Massachusetts winter deter me from exercise and to continue to walk outside unless there was simply too much snow. Turned out one of my walking spots gets snowblown for part of the trail and the rest well packed down by skiiers and other hikers, so I'm happy to say I was able to bundle up and continue walking all winter.

@earlnabby had inspired me with her posts about winter walking. She's in Wisconsin and gets out there in negative temperatures.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am concerned about the opposite problem. Here in Texas the winters are mild, so it was no problem to walk all winter. As the Texas summer rolls in, long walks in 105 degree weather will not be my cup of tea. My gym is a good drive away from me, so I can't just pop up there anytime. I have been following CoffeeNCardio's advice and looking for a treadmill on Craigslist. Not sure where in the heck I can put it though, and my hubby is convinced it will just become a clothes hanger!
  • mommy1364
    mommy1364 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses! Especially the ones that understand about the cold weather. Good to know I'm not alone. I did actually just buy a weight bench from someone because I want to start lifting for the first time (at my own pace and without the gym gawkers.) I'll have to try and find a treadmill for the busy days and the inevitable return of winter. Upper Mi does only get about 4 months of warm weather after all. But knowing that other people read my post and know I've been lazy is forcing me to be accountable and it's motivating. So thank you!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Heh, that was great timing! (I'm in Chicago, so the weather was similar. I decided to get active again and walk absolutely everywhere I could in January '14, which was pretty poor timing too, but worked out.)

I actually like goals with a date for similar reasons. Mostly I use training for races/events for this (signed up for something I had to train for on 2/28 to keep myself exercising outside this winter, lucked out that it was more mild), but for my first year I had weight loss goals too. I think it's fine so long as it's realistic and you aren't someone who will see losing 28 lbs by a particular date instead of 30 as a failure, but can still celebrate it and be encouraged and happy. I also always had process goals in addition to the loss goal.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I don't think there's anything wrong with attaching a date to your goal. If the goal is reasonable and you're not so emotionally attached to that date that you'd roll over and die if you failed to meet it, there's really no reason not to use it as a motivational tool. I think more often than not, what people see on here is "I need to lose 30 lbs by my wedding!" and the wedding is in a month. That's crazy. What you're doing is sound strategy, big difference.

I do sort of the same thing, except rather than saying, "I will be Xlbs by X date" I say "If I continue my current progress without blowing off logging or exercise, I will likely reach Xlbs by this date." Then I've got incentive not to blow off logging because wow how cool would it be if I actually did this by X date?!
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Heh, that was great timing! (I'm in Chicago, so the weather was similar. I decided to get active again and walk absolutely everywhere I could in January '14, which was pretty poor timing too, but worked out.)

I actually like goals with a date for similar reasons. Mostly I use training for races/events for this (signed up for something I had to train for on 2/28 to keep myself exercising outside this winter, lucked out that it was more mild), but for my first year I had weight loss goals too. I think it's fine so long as it's realistic and you aren't someone who will see losing 28 lbs by a particular date instead of 30 as a failure, but can still celebrate it and be encouraged and happy. I also always had process goals in addition to the loss goal.

Coincidentally my first big goal was to lose the weight I gained since moving to MI by my birthday. :) I actually got there a month early.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Last fall I made a resolution to not let the Massachusetts winter deter me from exercise and to continue to walk outside unless there was simply too much snow. Turned out one of my walking spots gets snowblown for part of the trail and the rest well packed down by skiiers and other hikers, so I'm happy to say I was able to bundle up and continue walking all winter.

@earlnabby had inspired me with her posts about winter walking. She's in Wisconsin and gets out there in negative temperatures.

Awww, thank you.

The only thing necessary for winter walking is a good pair of shoes/boots that don't get too stiff in the cold. If you want to walk on trails, a good pair of cleats helps (or snowshoes if you get the really deep stuff). Everything else is simple . . . wear layers and keep your head and face protected.

Heat, on the other hand, requires a bit of ingenuity. Mostly walking in the early morning or later evening when the heat of the day is less.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    EmPersson wrote: »
    I agree that when it's cold, going to the gym is *not* my idea of fun! All the layers you have to wear to get in, and it immediately feels like a sauna, then leaving when you're sweaty and having to put all the layers back on... it is *not* like going anywhere else in the winter.

Still not understanding the difference, I guess. Where do you go bundled up in the winter that wouldn't be like a sauna once you walk into the comfy heated indoors?

Full disclosure: the lowest temperatures I deal with tend to be in the teens/high single digits, and I don't wear a jacket to go to the gym. The walk from my car to the front door is very short and naturally gets sprintier as it gets colder. Afterwards, I do shower due to a longish drive back home and not wanting to seat my sweaty self in the car. So anyone who showered or otherwise dealt with the sweaty clothes situation would again just be a normal person moving about in the winter