What weight is considered thin for 5'8?

Replies

• rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Please don't chase a weight goal just to end up all skin & bones with no muscles and messed up hormones.
    Get a body comp scale so you can track fat% and muscle mass instead of pounds.
    I'm 5'8" with a big frame and have ranged from 115-180. Generally 120s-130s works for me, but not because of a number on a scale. It's because I had enough energy, strength, and confidence to live a great life- without the health issues that come from carrying too much fat or not getting enough nutrition.
    When you are strong and fit you will weigh more than when you're rail thin and weak.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    pashllen wrote: »
    As a female, just curious. Thin? Average? Overweight?

Who cares? go by how you feel and what you look like in the mirror don't aim for a certain number on the scale.
  • DancingJester
    DancingJester Posts: 76 Member
    How old are you? You definitely don't need to lose weight. But if you are 17 or under then people saying that you are hugely underweight are wrong. Don't lose any weight maybe gain a little? but I wouldn't worry about your weight if you feel it's natural. And don't listen to people saying you sound young and immature. People of all ages can gave body image issues. It's normal but don't let it take hold of you. Xx
  • EmPersson
    EmPersson Posts: 768 Member
    I would say anywhere in the 140s would be healthy for 5'8". That's what I'm aiming for, myself - but more than that, I want to be toned. I originally thought I'd like to get down to 138 (what I was all through high school and college, at 5'7.5"), but I'm not that age anymore, and I don't want to look like a teenager, I want to look like a healthy adult. Go with what works best with your frame, and make sure you keep health topmost in your mind.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    I am 5'9" and 128, it really does depend on build AND muscle composition. If you're 150lbs of solid muscle, you're going to look firm and fit. If you're 150 lbs of fat, you're going to look chubby.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    I'm 5"8 and 143lbs is the lowest I'll go. Any lower than that and I start to look gaunt and sickly.

Oh wow :o I guess it just depends on how you're built lol. I'm the same height but 117, I look big when I hit anything over 130

I bet you only look "big" at 130 to yourself. That's a BMI of 19.8. THIN by all standards.

BMI is just a generic number. It doesn't account for body shape or musculature. Someone with a delicate bone structure & undeveloped muscles would carry much more fat % at the same BMI as someone large boned and athletic.
    Also, different starting weights lead to different perspectives. If you've always been thin, 130lbs can look "big"- but for someone who's ever been overweight it can look gaunt.
    I remember in college, putting on the freshman 15- the first time I felt my arms & legs jiggle because I had a bit of fat where I'd not had it before. It felt icky.
    Someone who was used to a little extra cushion wouldn't even notice the sensation, but it really bothered me at the time. Age and chocolate have mellowed my perspective.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    130 is very thin on me (5'8"). I am working on building muscle, so I'm hoping that 140 will be my final weight. I look good now at 148 but want to lose a little more around the middle.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm 5"8 and 143lbs is the lowest I'll go. Any lower than that and I start to look gaunt and sickly.

Oh wow :o I guess it just depends on how you're built lol. I'm the same height but 117, I look big when I hit anything over 130

I bet you only look "big" at 130 to yourself. That's a BMI of 19.8. THIN by all standards.

BMI is just a generic number. It doesn't account for body shape or musculature. Someone with a delicate bone structure & undeveloped muscles would carry much more fat % at the same BMI as someone large boned and athletic.
    Also, different starting weights lead to different perspectives. If you've always been thin, 130lbs can look "big"- but for someone who's ever been overweight it can look gaunt.
    I remember in college, putting on the freshman 15- the first time I felt my arms & legs jiggle because I had a bit of fat where I'd not had it before. It felt icky.
    Someone who was used to a little extra cushion wouldn't even notice the sensation, but it really bothered me at the time. Age and chocolate have mellowed my perspective.

It's not a "generic" number. It's a formula. With a range. And 117 is LOW on that range.

The OP is a teen. Probably a 15-16 year old teen. I am hoping she doesn't go down a path where she thinks 130 at 5'8" is "big". Because it's not. 117 is NOT big. See where I'm coming from.

You say different weights can bring different perspectives. So do different heights. she's 5'8" and skinny.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    5'8 and 117lbs is significantly underweight.

This seems to be the aim for many teenagers these days :(

Yeah I could see that. I get complimented on my thinness & that's sort of my drive to stay that way. Plus, I'm in my teens and lots of girls worry over weight. What would you consider healthy for 5'8 ??

also, thank you for the replies !! They've been very helpful :)

Wouldnt you rather be complimented for your wit, your intellect, your empathy, your personality, your ambition or virtually anything else more meaningful than your looks?
  • nineteentwenty
    edited April 2016
    ^If she enjoys being complimented for her looks, that is what she enjoys. Looks are not unimportant, don't put her down for being proud of how she looks. All of the things you mentioned are just as important, but if this is what brings her joy right now, let her have it.

That being said, I would speak to your doctor, OP. She/he will know if you are at a healthy weight, and can advise you on what is healthy for whatever bodytype you have.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

You're actually underweight which is not healthy. I think looking "big" at 130 is all in your head.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    ^If she enjoys being complimented for her looks, that is what she enjoys. Looks are not unimportant, don't put her down for being proud of how she looks. All of the things you mentioned are just as important, but if this is what brings her joy right now, let her have it.

That being said, I would speak to your doctor, OP. She/he will know if you are at a healthy weight, and can advise you on what is healthy for whatever bodytype you have.

I didnt put her down. I just asked a question. I know that as a teen, looks are BIG. I am suggesting - never mind.
  • nineteentwenty
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Kkallisti wrote: »

I didnt put her down. I just asked a question. I know that as a teen, looks are BIG. I am suggesting - never mind.

I apologize for misinterpreting your question, I was being unwarrantedly protective. I'm just barely out of the teens myself, and I remember being criticized for both caring and not caring for my looks. It's impossible to win, and I must still be sensitive.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You're actually underweight which is not healthy. I think looking "big" at 130 is all in your head.
    She's not underweight.
    qr0a55wyw1k7.png

Hard to say, given that we don't know her age...