30 day shred...pushups??

Options
I just started the 30DS yesterday and I cannot even do 1 push-up. I tried, but I ended up pulling a muscle. What exercises will help me work my way up to doing push-ups?

Replies

• qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Do wall push ups or on your knees if you can
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Oh girl, I know what you mean. My kung fu class has push ups in every warm up. I couldn't do but two at a time with a break in between, GIRL PUSH UPS. My sifu said it's just cause I haven't done enough. Just keep doing them in any increment you can and you will grow to do more and more. I can do 50 girl push ups now. I can do 10 REAL ones, but I hate them and just haven't pushed myself into doing them. I really should, though.

Now pull ups, that's another story. I can't even do ONE. So sad. Upper body is not my strong suit. I can do 100 jump squats, though.
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I tried them on my knees...I didn't think about doing them on the wall first...thanks!!
  • lannahgirl
    lannahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do them on my knees!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Start on your knees or do wall-push ups and work your way up to full push-ups. Also, you can do full push-ups and just not go all the way down, that will help build up strength too.
  • caterpillarmom
    caterpillarmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try this program: http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

If you can't do "real" pushups, try modified pushups on your knees rather than your toes. If those are too difficult, do wall pushups or pushups against your kitchen counters.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    my daughter, who was very heavy and out of shape, did her push-ups against a wall at first. Plant your feet about 18" from the wall, put your hands on the wall at chest level, and do leaning pushups. By level 3, she was able to do most of them on the mat.
  • ahappyapple
    Options
    Just keep doing them in any increment you can and you will grow to do more and more.

I can't even do one so I guess for now I will just be able to hold myself up at the top and just get lower and lower each time...lol!
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    dont feel bad i cant do a push up either. i go on my knees
  • onecrazynancy
    onecrazynancy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i find the jumping jacks hard-I cant jump anymore...anyone else?
  • ahappyapple
    Options
    I will definitely have to try them against a wall or table. :) Thanks everyone!
  • ahappyapple
    Options

The jumping is hard, but I can handle that...it's the strength stuff that gets me right now.
  • Addison2409
    Addison2409 Posts: 104
    Options
    I was the same way at first and jsut started doing them on my knees. I have been doing the 30 day shred since January and I'm on level 3 and still doing them on my knees. lol
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i learnt how to do push ups by breaking them into stages, basically put a stop position half-way down and you get three stages 1=top 2=middle 3=bottom, its a lot easier to go 12321 than 13131 if that makes sense. good luck
  • LTRUITT3
    LTRUITT3 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ditto....I hate jumping Jacks, but I must say I can do them all now without stopping. But I still don't like them :)
  • Jovannyr
    Jovannyr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Okay, let me tell you, I did the 30DS for about 2 1/2 wks and then stopped (got bored :yawn: and level 2 discouraged me :grumble: ) but I have to say that when I started I did maybe 1/2 a push up on my knees before I collapsed and realized I cant even do one :cry: but amazingly by day day 5 or 6 I was able to do about 5 of them :happy: so don't get discouraged, it will happen..! :wink:
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I had a hard time doing the girl pushups and jumping jacks in the beginning. However, I'm 2 days away from completing the 30DS and now can do jumping jacks no problem and the girl pushups are not as difficult. However when you get to level 3 you do "travelling" pushups which are much more difficult. I was able to do them though. I haven't weighed myself in a week, but I'm pretty sure I'll be close to 25lbs lost on the 30DS. I'm at 19lbs so far. I wish I took before pics and measured myself, but I have a significant difference. I would suggest anyone to do this. I will take a couple months off from the DVD and then start back up in September. I had to do a lot of the modified versions but I know that I'll eventually get to where I won't have to. One thing to keep in mind when doing this DVD is to keep moving no mater what. If you can't do something, just jog in place. Once you build up endurance and strength everything else will follow.

~Becki
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    OK, I help teach TaeKwon-Do and just about every beginner woman we get through the door cannot do a pushup - but they do get better at it, honest!

All of the above suggestions are excellent - start with pressups against a wall - slowly move your feet further away when you can manage to! Then graduate to press-ups on your knees (I get sore knees doing this so I make sure I have an exercise mat under there at least!) - you can start with putting your hands on something else low down if on your knees is too hard - such as a sofa etc!

Once you can manage press-ups on your knees slowly move your knees further away from your hands which gradually makes the press-up harder until you're ready to get your knees off the floor. If you do a few daily (aim at 4 sets of 10 roughly) you'll be amazed how quickly your strength will improve.

Two other things I would add though. Another huge benefit of press-ups which can be forgotten is working on your core stomach muscles. Even before you're ready to attempt full press-ups it would be beneficial to attemp holding 'the plank' move - basically press-up position but holding yourself on your forearms (arms bent with forearm flat on the floor). Keep your body still and straight (like a plank!) without your butt sticking in the air or dipping down towards the floor. You need to keep 'zipped up' - suck your tummy button in tight and clench your butt muscles tight, but keep breathing! Hold this for as long as you can - as soon as you feel your back starting to bend and butt going towards the floor then stop! Work up to 30+ seconds. If you can add this to your press-ups on the knees/against the wall it will really prepare your core muscles for the work they will need to do for full press-ups.

The other thing I would add is even if you can no-way manage a full press up do not give up immediately! The very act of TRYING to do one is going to work those muscles and you will see a bigger and quicker improvement than just doing press-ups against the wall or on your knees. So each day add just one attempt at a full press-up (at the end probably!) even if you only dip down by a millimetre it really WILL help!

For those interested in hitting the core muscles more, if you have a 'fit ball' then you can do press-ups on your knees (or if you're REALLY hard full press-ups) with your hands either side of the fit ball. This hits loads of core muscles while you try to keep your balance at the same time - really good work out!
  • ahappyapple
    Options

Two other things I would add though. Another huge benefit of press-ups which can be forgotten is working on your core stomach muscles. Even before you're ready to attempt full press-ups it would be beneficial to attemp holding 'the plank' move - basically press-up position but holding yourself on your forearms (arms bent with forearm flat on the floor). Keep your body still and straight (like a plank!) without your butt sticking in the air or dipping down towards the floor. You need to keep 'zipped up' - suck your tummy button in tight and clench your butt muscles tight, but keep breathing! Hold this for as long as you can - as soon as you feel your back starting to bend and butt going towards the floor then stop! Work up to 30+ seconds. If you can add this to your press-ups on the knees/against the wall it will really prepare your core muscles for the work they will need to do for full press-ups.

Thanks! I forgot about plank pose...I will definitely start adding this into my routine.
  • harmsllc
    harmsllc Posts: 4
    Options
    Modified Push Ups -As I read your blog post, I couldn’t help but think of the Push Up Bench as the most effective way for people who struggle with push ups , to be able to do them correctly (with full range of motion). Most modified push ups make them easier but only allow one or two variations. The Push Up Bench has 11 different levels to work through on the way to a full push up. www.pushupbench.com