low calorie bread

Options
I live in North Carolina and I am trying to find the lowest calorie bread available in my area. So far, the lowest I have found is Sara Lee and it's 45 calorie per slice. Anyone have any suggestions for other brands that have a lower caloric content? thanks!

Replies

• tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like the Schmidt Old Thyme wheat bread...40 cals per slice, 6 grams net carbs and 7 grams of fiber.
  • wectmall
    wectmall Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    wow. I would love to try that! I have not seen it around Charlotte. where do you find it?
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've seen it in nearly every major grocery store around here, plus club stores. I'm in MD though...and I believe it's a MD based company. Still, Charlotte is in the same general region, so it wouldn't be far-fetched to expect to find it there. I'd check your local grocery store.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Low-calorie bread is depressing. It leaves you wanting the real thing more than it satisfies the craving for a sandwich or toast. Just budget for the good stuff and enjoy your food.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Is Dave's Killer Bread out there? Their thin slices versions of real bread are 60 or 70 cals - much better than "low-calorie" bread.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't aim for the lowest calorie bread. I aim for something that has some nutrients, is tasty, and isn't too high in calories.

Check out fooducate if you haven't already.

Good luck finding the best one for your goals.

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    ubermofish wrote: »
    Low-calorie bread is depressing. It leaves you wanting the real thing more than it satisfies the craving for a sandwich or toast. Just budget for the good stuff and enjoy your food.

Some low cal bread to me taste just as good just may not be as big or thick of a piece. I personally liked Pepperidge farm oatmeal bread which is 45 cals a slice but, Healthy life has some that are 35 cals a slice. They are decent but, not as good. I found a good Italian bread at a local grocery store that is only 40 cals for a decent size slice. But, only available in Northern Indiana and Southern Michigan.
  • bezlooney
    bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    tjones0411 wrote: »
    I like the Schmidt Old Thyme wheat bread...40 cals per slice, 6 grams net carbs and 7 grams of fiber.

This bread is amazing!! So soft and taste just like regular bread! So hard to find were I live however

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Not lower (but doesn't fall apart either).....Sara Lee 100% Whole Wheat is 60 calories a slice.

I like egg salad and tuna salad....those wimpy 45 calorie slices let sandwich filling ooze out everywhere.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Most low calorie bread I've seen is just a thinner slice of the regular stuff. Just take a regular piece of bread and cut it in half and you'll have the low cal version.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have Nature's Harvest (or something like that) and it's 40cals/slice. It gets pretty thin pretty fast if you put heavy meats/what-have-you on it. Tbh Idk why I keep buying it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Not lower (but doesn't fall apart either).....Sara Lee 100% Whole Wheat is 60 calories a slice.

I like egg salad and tuna salad....those wimpy 45 calorie slices let sandwich filling ooze out everywhere.

That's pretty low. I'm with you. If it doesn't hold the stuff, it's not worth it.