Weight not moving

Options
Hi my name is Kevin I'm 6'2 239 lbs. 21.7% BF. Not sure if you can view my food log but in any case I've been tracking every food I put into my mouth for 3 weeks last I weighed in at 238.1 and this week 239.2. My calories are at 2510 and my split is currently 25% carb 35% fat and 40% protein. Need some advice any would help. Also lost about .6% bf in the last 2 weeks and have been lifting 5 days a week heavy low reps

Replies

• beachbodylinda16
    beachbodylinda16 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    With any new workout you will see a temporary weight gain.
    Take measurements and compare those.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and it doesn't look like you use a food scale to weigh solids. That can present issues where you are eating more than you think.

But new exercise can and will cause fluid to be retained in the muscles for repair. Give it a couple more weeks...if still going up look at logging...get a good scale.

Another suggestion is to not weigh yourself on the day after a workout....try the next day (after a rest day)
  • kearly206
    kearly206 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Well the thing is I'm not new to exercise I have just come off of a 5 month rugby season, and what do you mean by I don't weigh solids? I weigh all chicken and almonds, everything
  • kearly206
    Options
    But I'll try weighing myself on off days the K you for the advice
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Hello Kevin.

First off, I can see your diary, and CONGRATS on murdering that protien goal. I have a rough time meeting mine, but you are absolutely nailing this as far as nutrition. Great food choices, that's half the battle right there. Do you also weigh your food on a scale for portion sizes? If you think you need more help with portions, weighing our your food is eye-opening. Food is tricky.

Based on your stats, your tdee is 2773 calories per day (assuming you have a deskjob). That is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, meaning the amount of calories you body burns off just doing your daily thing. Therefore, if you eat under that number daily, you will lose weight. While the number is just an estimate, it's close enough to base a diet off of.

Typically to determine diet calories in terms of weight loss, many people will either choose to eat 90% of their tdee (in your case 2495 calories) for a slower but easier burn, or 80% (in your case 2218 calories) for a more aggressive but challenging rate of loss. Your current intake is just above 90%, which is totally fine and you WILL lose weight, but it means that your rate of loss will probably be more slow than others you may see on MFP. You can either keep doing what you're doing and lose weight slowly, or you can cut a few more calories and see if that works for you without triggering you to crave.

I also recommend that you throw some light cardio into your routine. Weights are key to body composition, and will give you a firm sleek look as well as give you strength, but cardio will help shrink your shape and train your heart to be strong and efficient. Especially when paired with lifting, cardio is wonderful when dealing with excess fat on the body.

That being said, I have no idea what your goal is! Are you looking to shed fat, add muscle, both?
  • kearly206
    Options
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    Hello Kevin.

First off, I can see your diary, and CONGRATS on murdering that protien goal. I have a rough time meeting mine, but you are absolutely nailing this as far as nutrition. Great food choices, that's half the battle right there. Do you also weigh your food on a scale for portion sizes? If you think you need more help with portions, weighing our your food is eye-opening. Food is tricky.

Based on your stats, your tdee is 2773 calories per day (assuming you have a deskjob). That is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, meaning the amount of calories you body burns off just doing your daily thing. Therefore, if you eat under that number daily, you will lose weight. While the number is just an estimate, it's close enough to base a diet off of.

Typically to determine diet calories in terms of weight loss, many people will either choose to eat 90% of their tdee (in your case 2495 calories) for a slower but easier burn, or 80% (in your case 2218 calories) for a more aggressive but challenging rate of loss. Your current intake is just above 90%, which is totally fine and you WILL lose weight, but it means that your rate of loss will probably be more slow than others you may see on MFP. You can either keep doing what you're doing and lose weight slowly, or you can cut a few more calories and see if that works for you without triggering you to crave.

I also recommend that you throw some light cardio into your routine. Weights are key to body composition, and will give you a firm sleek look as well as give you strength, but cardio will help shrink your shape and train your heart to be strong and efficient. Especially when paired with lifting, cardio is wonderful when dealing with excess fat on the body.

That being said, I have no idea what your goal is! Are you looking to shed fat, add muscle, both?

Thank you for the advice, yes I weigh literally everything, and as far as cardio I do cross fit for an hour every week. Thank for helping me out, really quick how did you figure out my TDEE? Do I need to tweak my macro split to see better results? My goal is to slim down right now, to be at 15% body fat or lower by the end of the year. Beyond that get below 15% and maintain around 200-215 pounds
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    kearly206 wrote: »
    Well the thing is I'm not new to exercise I have just come off of a 5 month rugby season, and what do you mean by I don't weigh solids? I weigh all chicken and almonds, everything

what I said is it doesn't appear you do based on your entries.

Choosing correct entries is as important as weighing the food.
  • nineteentwenty
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, yes I weigh literally everything, and as far as cardio I do cross fit for an hour every week. Thank for helping me out, really quick how did you figure out my TDEE? Do I need to tweak my macro split to see better results? My goal is to slim down right now, to be at 15% body fat or lower by the end of the year. Beyond that get below 15% and maintain around 200-215 pounds

Nice!

TDEE calculators are all over the internet. Here is one: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Your macros look fantastic to me, godspeed. Protein is going to be where the magic happens if you're looking to slim down. It feeds muscle growth, and will keep your body from breaking down your EXISTING muscle in order to feed itself protien during your diet. Keep it up. The only thing in your macros that I see that may give you trouble is your sodium intake. Keep that number as low as possible. Sodium dehydrates you and will force your body to hoard water, making you bloat and gain waterweight. It's very uncomfortable. You can avoid most sodium by choosing to cook your own food as opposed to ordering out or using freezer meals.

15% is a great goal, what are you sitting at right now? And how are you measuring it?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

what I said is it doesn't appear you do based on your entries.

Choosing correct entries is as important as weighing the food.

I second this!! Watch this OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

• kearly206
    Options
    Hm ok maybe I can re evaluate my entries that I enter. But I do weigh everything on a scale and try to enter what is based in the database. I'm drinking a lot of water and I will watch the sodium intake. Also just dropped my calories by 50 just to see if that makes a difference. I use an electronic body fat reader I know it's not the most accurate but it gives me a decent reference
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You're weighing your protein powder (which is listed as 1.2 scoops), your banana (listed as 1 banana), your peanut butter (listed in tablespoons), your bread (listed as 1 slice), everything solid? People aren't asking to be jerks, people are asking because not weighing these items can impact how many calories you're eating versus how many you think you're eating.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    there was a guy here on MFP who wasn't losing any weight, and he weighed and logged every bit he ate. the problem was that one of his daily eats was potato salad - he used the first listing he found for the search he did, and it was 49 calories. turns out the potato salad he ate was over 400 calories, so he was eating over 350 calories more every day than he logged.

that being said, i often see listings for food that are off anywhere from 10 to 200 calories per serving as per either the manufacturer info or the USDA.

like others have already said, choosing the right entry is important.
  • kearly206
    Options

You're weighing your protein powder (which is listed as 1.2 scoops), your banana (listed as 1 banana), your peanut butter (listed in tablespoons), your bread (listed as 1 slice), everything solid? People aren't asking to be jerks, people are asking because not weighing these items can impact how many calories you're eating versus how many you think you're eating.

I didn't mean to sound in great fun for the advice, sorry if it came off as jerky. I watched a video and basically said that if it has a food label it was ok to scan and enter, I thought that was ok but from now on I will weigh the bread and everything! Thank you for all the tips and advice it is really helpful thank you everyone!
  • nineteentwenty
    Options
    there was a guy here on MFP who wasn't losing any weight, and he weighed and logged every bit he ate. the problem was that one of his daily eats was potato salad - he used the first listing he found for the search he did, and it was 49 calories. turns out the potato salad he ate was over 400 calories, so he was eating over 350 calories more every day than he logged.

that being said, i often see listings for food that are off anywhere from 10 to 200 calories per serving as per either the manufacturer info or the USDA.

like others have already said, choosing the right entry is important.

^^^also super helpful. If you make your own food, make sure to create your own entry with YOUR recipe in mfp. That way, you know exactly what is going into your body.
  • kearly206
    Options
    Sorry it auto corrected "didn't mean to sound ungreatful"
  • kearly206
    Options
    One thing though how do I know I'm picking the right entry? I got a different "baked chicken breast" but how do I know it's the right one? When I bake the chicken it's plain and only spices, no oil or anything. The other things I'll weigh on the scale from now on so maybe that's where I'm adding the calories
  • nineteentwenty
    Options
    One thing though how do I know I'm picking the right entry? I got a different "baked chicken breast" but how do I know it's the right one? When I bake the chicken it's plain and only spices, no oil or anything. The other things I'll weigh on the scale from now on so maybe that's where I'm adding the calories

If you are using stuff like veggies, meats, etc with no additives or prep, you can weigh it out and use the USDA food entries on mfp for those foods. That is considered the standard.
  • kearly206
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Having read through that whole post since I'm on my phone I can confirm what I'm choosing is correct and on google all the different websites are different by a lot so which one is correct? I picked new entries for "boneless, skinless, chicken breast baked" but still not sure if that's correct
  • kearly206
    Options
    Bump to the top for anymore advice and motivation!