Bariatric Surgery or Natural Weight Loss

2»

Replies

• AudreysMommy2014
    AudreysMommy2014 Posts: 10 Member
    I grappled with weight loss for years and decided to have gastric bypass surgery in 2006. Before surgery, I weighed 259 pounds and approximately two years later, with careful monitoring of diet and exercise, I got down to 175 pounds.
    Since then, it has been lots of work maintaining the weight loss but worth it. No matter what you decide to do, you'll have to work at it. I say the surgery gave me an initial advantage but I still have to do the same work now to maintain it. Currently, I'm 165lbs. Since the surgery I gained 1/3 of it back (was 215lbs in May 2014) but have worked to return to good health.

I wish you all the best no matter what you decide!!!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    I struggled with obesity my entire life -- I could take off some weight but never enough to get healthy, and then I would regain even more. I decided on sleeve gastrectomy almost three years ago. I have lost approx. 200 lbs. Losing and maintaining is still hard work! But I could never have done it without the surgery.
    If you are scared of general anesthesia -- remember that morbid obesity is a lot more dangerous than anesthesia. There was a published study showing that getting bariatric surgery reduces your risk of dying by 90% over not having surgery, and that includes the very small risk of mortality that comes with any surgery.
    Gastric sleeve surgery has fewer complications and a lower mortality rate than knee replacement or gall bladder removal. If you knew someone who was struggling to walk and in constant pain and needed a knee replacement, would you tell them not to do it because of the risks involved with anesthesia?
    All that said, you need to be sure the decision is right for you, and that you are committed to a lifetime of healthy eating. Surgery will make it possible, but not easy. Good luck!
  • senennieves
    senennieves Posts: 106 Member
    syrus 911 can you post your stats, that might help some of the pros here with giving you the proper advice, , i personally would not have surgery , you be amazed how much weight can be lost just by simply walking.
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    I'm 41 and one year ago, almost to the day, i downloaded MFP and bought a fitbit - i've lost 138 pounds since then and have been at my goal weight for the past month. You can do it on your own! Just move every day and watch your calories. Make filling food choices - 200 calories of cauliflower is going to fill you a lot more than 200 calories of cookies. Make a lifestyle change for the better!

On a side note, i know two people who have had some sort of weight loss surgery - both of them gained all the weight back. They never changed their eating habits - if you always eat what you always ate, you will always weigh what you always weighed.

a few quotes helped me along the way:
    - moderation, not deprivation
    - don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now
    - you don't have to eat it all - it will be there tomorrow

good luck in whatever you decide
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    There can be a happy medium. I decided on an RNY and it did make a dramatic improvement to my life. But I had to learn to control my eating before surgery. So that is all under your control now.

You mention that the home environment is not that supportive, yet your mom is urging you to get the surgery? It seems to me if she were that concerned she should be open to reforming the pantry.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    syrus911 wrote: »
    Same here tammiann just so much pressure from mom & Doctor when I really want to just do it on my own plus I'm terrified of GENERAL ANESTHESIA

Sounds like you already know which way you want to give a try first. I would tell your mom it's not her business, and your doctor that you'd like to try it on your own first with their supervision. I know you have a lot to lose but if you start today to count cals and you succeed in losing 10% already, it'd do you a lot of good :) But if you do this, commit to it. Weigh everything, do your best, count everything (I am NOT saying to cut things out of your diet, just to weigh and count everything). Also, if you can't exercise at first, it's fine. Nutrition is the priority, also walking does wonders at first for your heart and weightloss. The best of luck to you!
  • smileynik
    smileynik Posts: 1 Member
    If you are questioning to have it or not it sounds like you should not. Weight loss surgery is very beneficial for many of people. Surgery is a lifestyle change just as is any other "diet". If you don't change your mind then eventually you will regain. Surgery is a tool to assist you in your weight loss journey. Continue to try on your own and if at some point you feel you want to explore weight loss surgery, attend the seminar or consultation and make your decision from there.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    SibylDiane wrote: »
    I struggled with obesity my entire life -- I could take off some weight but never enough to get healthy, and then I would regain even more. I decided on sleeve gastrectomy almost three years ago. I have lost approx. 200 lbs. Losing and maintaining is still hard work! But I could never have done it without the surgery.
    If you are scared of general anesthesia -- remember that morbid obesity is a lot more dangerous than anesthesia. There was a published study showing that getting bariatric surgery reduces your risk of dying by 90% over not having surgery, and that includes the very small risk of mortality that comes with any surgery.
    Gastric sleeve surgery has fewer complications and a lower mortality rate than knee replacement or gall bladder removal. If you knew someone who was struggling to walk and in constant pain and needed a knee replacement, would you tell them not to do it because of the risks involved with anesthesia?
    All that said, you need to be sure the decision is right for you, and that you are committed to a lifetime of healthy eating. Surgery will make it possible, but not easy. Good luck!

It's great that the surgery helped you change the way you eat. Knee surgery can not be fixed by the way I eat nor does it alter my total system from one end to the other. Medically I see few similarities between the two types of surgeries. Best of continued maintenance success and congratulations on losing 200 life saving pounds.
  • NesCastanon
    NesCastanon Posts: 101 Member
    Hello, just addn my 2 cents. My wife went took the surgery route and I went the natural route. No shame in going either way. I was just too chicken to go under the knife lol. Anyway, let me tell you that although having surgery helps you lose weight faster, you are still going to have to work hard. You have to make sure you get the proper vitamins, protein etc. May have to deal with lose skin and it is a constant battle to find the right medium. So whatever route you choose to go, just be prepared to work hard, good luck!
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    I knew someone who got it, and it didn't change their bad eating habits. They may have lost weight, but they never took the time to workout and actually get HEALTHY. Weight loss doesn't automatically equal healthiness, and I really feel that's what people should ultimately strive for. She said that she completely regretted it, because now she can't even enjoy a family BBQ or potluck or birthday without having to worry about how much she's ate. And then when she does overeat, she feels violently ill.
    I know that there are some situations where it's better for the person, but I feel like those situations are few and far in-between.