Exercise shorts suggestions for us "mermaids"

Options
I have started doing a lot of hiking in the past 2 years but because my thighs touch, I haven't been able to find shorts that will actually stay down for long hikes and have had to keep wearing compression capris all year. It's starting to really heat up where I live and I would love to find shorts that can comfortably be worn for hikes over 5 miles without riding up and causing chafing (not to mention eliminating that weird ankle tan from capris).

Do any ladies have shorts they swear by for accommodating larger legs?

Replies

• Veganmerfish
    Veganmerfish Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    XL shorts form American Apparel are pretty good! But as with all my spandy shorts my thighs eventually eat holes in them .:/
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I wear Under Armour compression shorts. The ones I have are 5" inseam, that's sort of the minimum length I need to cover my thighs. I wear these under the more typical pace shorts for running, and also wear them under my work pants now because my pants are kind of loose in the thigh area and was causing rubbing while I went out on my daily walks at work. They are thin-ish, so pretty breathable, but you might want shorts over them depending on what colors you get or how modest you are.

Inseam is pretty key, I'd browse around at different compression shorts or running shorts. Nike used to sell some back in the day that were 7" but I don't think they have them anymore.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Wear longer shorts. The last 2 years I started hiking in shorts that ended just above my knee. Way more comfortable! Prevented riding up and chafing. May not be as cute as shorter ones but more practical.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I too have chafing issues in the inner thighs. Sparkle Skirts are awesome! They sell just the shorts too I believe. But they don't ride up and they have pockets on the sides and in the back.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I found the longer Nike shorts that stay down..they're like cycling shorts but the others role up. I got them on clearance from a Nike outlet last year. The smaller ones roll up the second I put them on though. UH!

Wait..mermaids?!? ...do explain
  • Choose2bYou
    Choose2bYou Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    shanae727 wrote: »
    I found the longer Nike shorts that stay down..they're like cycling shorts but the others role up. I got them on clearance from a Nike outlet last year. The smaller ones roll up the second I put them on though. UH!

Wait..mermaids?!? ...do explain

I'm gonna guess it means those who have thighs that touch and rub while walking or running.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I don't wear any shorts with less than a 7" inseam. Just don't like my upper thighs showing, and short ones do tend to creep up.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    underarmour compression is the best i've found.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Long board shorts. They are light weight. And you can jump right in the waterfall at the end of your hike.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Another vote for UA compression shorts
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I haven't found another pair, but I have a set of champion brand shorts that end about two inches above my knees and they stay put! I bought them from target and haven't seen them since but check it out!
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I found some of the 7 inch UA compression shorts on sale and wore them on a short hike last night and they were great!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Lululemon "make a move" shorts are great, especially if you have the booty along with the thighs!