Dentist told me off :(

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Dr. Attia has helped me gain a better understanding why I should change my high carb macro for all aspects of my personal health.

eatingacademy.com/nutrition/how-can-carbohydrate-restriction-be-healthy-if-it-means-limiting-natural-foods-like-fruits-and-vegetables

Below is the source he mentioned in his blog.

connectwell.biz/pdf/comment_truth_about_sugar.pdf

• ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Some people, like me, just have bad teeth.

Exactly. I had crowns and bridges by the time I was 12. No, I was a normal kid, did not have constant sugary drinks or foods. I brushed twice a day. Wasn't as good with flossing, but I did do it. Used fluoride toothpaste, and had fluoridated water. My life for many years was a long series of root canals, periodontal surgery, abscesses, extractions, crowns and bridges, and a LOT of pain. I just had really soft enamel.

Finally gave up the fight and huge $$ outlays in my 40's. Today I have full dentures and life is SO much better.

Dentists who blame every issue on sugar really tick me off.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I eat sweets and soda daily. No cavities or other dental issues in my life (touch wood). Your dentist is not someone I'd entrust my dental care to.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Some medications can cause damage to your teeth, you should confirm that isn't a side effect of any you may be taking. Soft teeth may be hereditary, some people don't get enough floride in their diet. Brushing twice daily and two-three dental visits a year is important.

Damage caused to your teeth by sweets doesn't have to be done in the last week or last month. It could have started years ago if you had a diet heavy in sugar and sweets. Cavities develop slowly. I wouldn't change your diet based on what your dentist said this week if you aren't having that many sweets but you may be paying a price for former eating habits.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    ridge4mfp wrote: »

Exactly. I had crowns and bridges by the time I was 12. No, I was a normal kid, did not have constant sugary drinks or foods. I brushed twice a day. Wasn't as good with flossing, but I did do it. Used fluoride toothpaste, and had fluoridated water. My life for many years was a long series of root canals, periodontal surgery, abscesses, extractions, crowns and bridges, and a LOT of pain. I just had really soft enamel.

Finally gave up the fight and huge $$ outlays in my 40's. Today I have full dentures and life is SO much better.

I counted from memory that I have 4 teeth that have never had a cavity. Every other tooth I have is capped, filled, and/or rebuilt with whatever a dentist uses to replaced rotted away enamel. I can't and never could floss without having the stupid stuff get snagged and stuck in my teeth, yes even the floss advertised as snag-free. I thought many times about getting dentures just to save myself the agony of a future of dental visits, but my mom told me to never get dentures. She had her teeth removed a few years after I was born and she said it was one of the biggest mistakes of her life. I'm not in any pain despite my poor dental hygiene, so I just keep going. Though I wish socialized medicine covered adult dental.
  • cathelia71
    cathelia71 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    lc355 wrote: »
    Saw my dentist today and he told me off saying I have cavities due to eating too many sweet snacks and drinking fizzy drinks. I drink one diet energy drink a day and usually have a chocolate or cake in the evening after dinner. I think he thought I was munching on dried fruit and guzzling coke all day.

I'm maintaining now so will have to try and think of ways to eat my calories without snacking on chocolate and cake I guess. I'm not going to drink anymore energy drinks because I know they are really bad for teeth, but not sure what tooth friendly snacks there are for my end of day treat.

I don't really have a question, just feeling a bit sad about it.
    lc355 wrote: »
    Saw my dentist today and he told me off saying I have cavities due to eating too many sweet snacks and drinking fizzy drinks. I drink one diet energy drink a day and usually have a chocolate or cake in the evening after dinner. I think he thought I was munching on dried fruit and guzzling coke all day.

I'm maintaining now so will have to try and think of ways to eat my calories without snacking on chocolate and cake I guess. I'm not going to drink anymore energy drinks because I know they are really bad for teeth, but not sure what tooth friendly snacks there are for my end of day treat.

I don't really have a question, just feeling a bit sad about it.

• cathelia71
    cathelia71 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am a dental hygienist. You can have a soda with a meal.. Etc- the importance is not to sip on one all day- that can elevate your decay rate- same with the snacks, just rinse your mouth with water to break up the acid attack on your teeth. Some people are just more prone to decay and have to fight harder- make sure you're flossing daily too :-) each time you eat something you get a 30 min acid attack on your teeth- sugarless gum after can help after as well. Some times we don't have the best chair side manner- sorry he wasn't very nice ! Good luck!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

This is definitely an issue for some people, genetics plays a role as well. My husband has bad teeth, including never getting several adult teeth in. His mother is the exact same-she never had some of her adult teeth come in and has had major work done on her teeth/mouth. And surprise surprise-brought my son in for braces and the orthodontist discovered that he's missing two adult teeth as well (they're not under the gum waiting to come in like they should be). It's a genetic thing and you can't do anything about it. My husband had his last baby tooth pulled a couple years ago. You can imagine what shape it was in :p
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank-you so much everyone for your kind comments.

I do brush twice a day (super whizzy toothbrush) and floss most days, he even said he could see I keep my teeth really clean but it's not enough. My teeth are breaking, he said it was to do with getting little cavities in the side and then the inside of the tooth being eaten away and then the tooth breaks. He did say it was okay to have sugary stuff at meal times but I'm usually too full after a meal hence I have my 'pudding' later. I was using a straw for my fizzy drink and didn't make it last all day, maybe 20 minutes but I've been meaning to try and give them up for years so now is a good time. I've been sipping water all day and it's not so bad.

It is interesting hearing people say they drink lots of fizzy drinks or eat lots of sugary stuff and have okay teeth, maybe I'm not the devil respawned after all.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Luckily for you, there are lots of dentists to be found. Some of them aren't grumpy.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Remember- You're paying a dentist for their services, you're the customer- they should act accordingly.

I'll rinse with water after drinking soda/coffee/red wine to prevent stains, but maybe that would help rinse sugar/etc from your teeth?

Getting an electric toothbrush is a great investment.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate flossing. I bought a good electric toothbrush and a water pik. My dentist can't even tell I don't floss anymore, lol. The water pik is a wonderful invention.
  • monicaw44
    monicaw44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    for you, you were eating too many sweets where you couldn't have healthy teeth. remember to brush after you eat sweets every time.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just brush your teeth right after eating it.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I absolutely hate flossing. I bought a good electric toothbrush and a water pik. My dentist can't even tell I don't floss anymore, lol. The water pik is a wonderful invention.

I LOVE flossing! It feels sooo good like a nice massage on my gums. LOL

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    ridge4mfp wrote: »

I counted from memory that I have 4 teeth that have never had a cavity. Every other tooth I have is capped, filled, and/or rebuilt with whatever a dentist uses to replaced rotted away enamel. I can't and never could floss without having the stupid stuff get snagged and stuck in my teeth, yes even the floss advertised as snag-free. I thought many times about getting dentures just to save myself the agony of a future of dental visits, but my mom told me to never get dentures. She had her teeth removed a few years after I was born and she said it was one of the biggest mistakes of her life. I'm not in any pain despite my poor dental hygiene, so I just keep going. Though I wish socialized medicine covered adult dental.

My mom did the exact same thing, 25 yrs old, all her teeth gone, and it's been a struggle for her ever since. I think that's just what they did back in those days, easier than maintaining and going thru it all. I personally have horrible teeth, I had a cavity in almost every single one by the time I was 15, and I never drank pop or really ate sweets. Now I notice my teeth are quite thin, and you can almost see thru them, I believe it's from the veggies and fruit I eat, but could just be hereditary and I have bad teeth all round.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    use a straw when drinking acidic drinks. It forces the acid to mainly hit the back teeth. And keep those little green flossing sticks in your car. Floss when you're in traffic. It kind a helps the monotony of the parking lot grid of what they call freeways.

it works.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    find a new dentist, they sound like a jerk. brush and floss regularly.

i am having 10K worth of dental work done over the summer cause i just have crappy teeth, even with constant care. so, its not even always what you eat, drink or what your habits are.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    I've always had fantastic dental and oral health (magic teeth!). When I first moved to a new city, I started seeing this dentist who was referred to me by a colleague.

The first time I went, the hygienist really brutally /hurt/ my mouth doing the cleaning. That had never happened to me before, but I shrugged it off thinking I just got the clumsy one one in the office, or she was in a rotten mood and was taking it out on my gums. It happens. Got a clean bill of health for the actual dental exam, and left.

6 months later I'm back for my next checkup. I get a different hygienist, but she too takes to my mouth like she works for the CIA or something. All the bleeding. I notice there are graphic pictures all over the walls of really gross diseased mouths and he's promoting some special gum disease treatments. Now I'm thinking there's something fishy about this dental practice. So when the dentist comes in and asks how I am, I say something along the lines of "My gums never bleed except when I come to your office, I feel like your staff isn't respecting my mouth's human rights" he says "Oh it's because you have gum disease; you're not flossing."

Me: "Bull. I LIKE to floss. I floss all the GD time."

Dentist: "Then you're flossing wrong, that's why you have gum disease."

Me: "Un-bloody-likely. Let me show you how I floss." {demonstration ensues}

Dentist: "Oh do you drink sodas then? Even diet ones. That's why you have gum disease. Because TOCSINS."

Me: "Bull. You know, you might have had a chance of being taken seriously if you had looked in my GD mouth before diagnosing me with gum disease. But now the T-word, too? You're so very fired."

So I found another dentist. Before anyone touched my mouth, I told them my history (i.e., no history of gum disease, no gum bleeding at home when I brush or floss, but my most recent dentist insisted I had gum disease and I suspected he was a crank) and said "PLEASE examine me thoroughly for gum disease, if I've got it I want to know and we'll talk about options, but also, you know, I don't think a cleaning should hurt." Outcome? No gum disease. I've been going to that dentist for 10 years now and still no gum disease.

Moral of the story: Just because someone is a licensed medical professional doesn't mean they're not a prick, or a crank, or a quack, or just selling something you don't need.

OH MAH GAWD this is like WOW! we always try to respect our health care professionals thinking they know more, i mean hey, they went to school forever for this, aren't they suppose to know more?

OP I would wonder if your teeth were showing signs of wear that it was because of acid reflux? Mouth breathing? Teeth grinding?