The last 10 pounds

Options
I don't know about anyone else but I can't say how tired I am of reading fitness and nutrition articles with advice on how to "lose those last 10 pounds". They're all the same: swap out soda for water, avoid fast food, don't drink your calories, watch portions, switch up your exercise routine, etc.

The problem with these articles is that while the advice is good in general, people who have lost weight but plateaued 10-15 lbs away from their goal are very likely already doing these things.

Has anyone plateaued but found a way to lose those last pesky pounds using different or surprising methods not mentioned in every online or magazine article about it? What has worked for you?

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I've been on the last 10lb for months.... But that is because my goal keeps drifting downward, not because I'm not losing weight. I was on my last 10lb at 185lb, 180lb, 175lb, and now hopefully I really am at the last 10lb as I slowly drop to 160-165lb (currently 168lb).

The last 10 lb are the same as the first 10lb. There may be psychological differences (you may be tired of dieting, or other factors), but if you create the calorie deficit you will lose the weight. The numbers will be different as you weigh less than when you started, but the science still holds.

Being consistent and honest with yourself is probably the most important part of losing the last 10lb.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I'm on the last 8 lbs and it's just a matter of slow and steady. I can no longer create the kind of deficit I need to lose more than about 1/2 lb per week. So it's excruciatingly slow it feels, but I'm not doing anything differently than when I first started - calories in less than calories out. I also think going slow is beneficial for me as I move into maintenance in the next few months. Unfortunately I don't have any other tips and tricks - just patience!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think "the last 10 lbs." are given too much singular attention, therefore making them psychologically harder to lose. But, I agree with @nordlead2005. It simply boils down to eating less.

My personal experience wasn't so much that I had my mind set that I had 10 lbs to lose but simply that I was working out a lot (cardio only), thought I was eating well, but wasn't happy with my appearance. I completely changed my diet (went low carb; no, I'm not suggesting it for anyone other than myself or claiming it's a magic cure), gave up the cardio and switched to lifting. Consequently, I did lose 10 lbs. Why? I was eating less, exerting myself more.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    While I do think it's psychological, I feel your pain. I'm here, too, and I have been for a while. I've been feeling unwilling to eat any less or workout any more/any harder- stubborn!

For the last few weeks, I tried alternating maintenance calorie days with low calorie days. It seemed to help a little. Yesterday I did a modified fast: protein shake, blueberry smoothie, lots of veggies at dinner, tons of water, coffee, tea. I think I'll do this again next week because it helped a lot :)

I'm almost to a new low weight, then I'll have about 5 or so more. I know it isn't all about the scale and I've been doing lots of lifting and seeing changes in my shape ☺️

Hope you find something that works for you!
  • zoe6724
    zoe6724 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try switching things up as others have mentioned. It's all about shocking the body into change. Try different weight lifting techniques, plyos, kettlebells, etc. try a different eating method, maybe lower on carbs and higher on fats for a couple weeks while keeping protein high.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you are 300 pounds and you are trying to lose 10 pounds it is way easier than if you are 140 trying to lose 10 pounds.

You just do not have the same wiggle room with calories. You already get to eat fewer calories and chances are you already work out.

If it takes 3000 calories a day to maintain 300 pounds and 1600 to maintain 140 pounds you can see where the challenge lies.

Not impossible, but logging has to be tighter and you really have to watch everything.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Sometimes I think "the last 10 lbs." are given too much singular attention, therefore making them psychologically harder to lose. But, I agree with @nordlead2005. It simply boils down to eating less.

I agree with this, I'm at the bottom of my goal range now and it was not harder than any of the other pounds lost before (maybe even easier because I knew now what I was able to achieve with CICO). I'm pretty sure I could lose even lower than that without any problems if I wanted to. It really seems more psychological to me too. Unless you are really teeny-tiny you can still have a decent calorie deficit and you will lose, there is just no way this equation stops working at a random weight.

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what that magical formula is. I'd gotten down to my goal weight, gained 12 lbs and a lot harder to get it off than the original weight. I'm easily burning twice as many calories per week between running and working out than I did when I originally lost weight. (And rarely eat them all back) I have a better understanding of my macros. I had my BMI measured (underwater scale method) and my percentage is in the 'healthy' range....but I can't quite get the pants to fit like they did a year ago.

I know where the OPs frustration is because all of the low hanging fruit (get a food scale, exercise more, eat the right foods) are the standard suggestions...but they really don't help the problem.

It took me 5 months to originally lose 30 lbs. I've lost a grand total of 3 lbs since January 1.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    After losing 135 pounds I am now within 3lbs from my goal weight. Set your goal to .5lb per week, weigh your food to the gram, choose accurate entries from the database, chart your weight on a site like Trendweight.com, and if you don't already have one consider a tracker like Fitbit to get a general idea of your TDEE. Calories in versus calories out, it comes down to simple math. You can do it!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I think the missing ingredient is just "patience," but I feel your pain. Truly. I'm on my last 8-9 pounds and while I can make the math work, I am soooooooo hungry! And I've used up all the "make the most of your calories advice," too. So, the method is the same, but it's a lot less pleasant.
  • tsalagi82
    tsalagi82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bogwoppt1 wrote: »
    If you are 300 pounds and you are trying to lose 10 pounds it is way easier than if you are 140 trying to lose 10 pounds.

You just do not have the same wiggle room with calories. You already get to eat fewer calories and chances are you already work out.

If it takes 3000 calories a day to maintain 300 pounds and 1600 to maintain 140 pounds you can see where the challenge lies.

Not impossible, but logging has to be tighter and you really have to watch everything.

Yep
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I finally hit the "last 15 pounds" goal. 120 has always been my goal, so it's just a matter of time. I feel myself running thin though.. I'm not getting the fast results i'm used to. But we'll see. I feel myself getting a bit sloppy with my calories. I'm starting to get more hungry, so i might need to cut back on the exercising and get my eating habits under control again.

But as long as you're eating at a deficit you'll lose weight. I think we all get a bit tired and sloppy towards the end. Just have to make sure we keep on track.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I've been on the last 10lb for months.... But that is because my goal keeps drifting downward, not because I'm not losing weight. I was on my last 10lb at 185lb, 180lb, 175lb, and now hopefully I really am at the last 10lb as I slowly drop to 160-165lb (currently 168lb).

The last 10 lb are the same as the first 10lb. There may be psychological differences (you may be tired of dieting, or other factors), but if you create the calorie deficit you will lose the weight. The numbers will be different as you weigh less than when you started, but the science still holds.

Being consistent and honest with yourself is probably the most important part of losing the last 10lb.

This is so true! I have also been on the last 10 lbs for some time because my goal keeps changing. I'm in maintenance now though I'd possibly be up for another 5 at some point. For me what made the last ten hard was motivation. If I stuck to my calories and stayed committed I lost. But more often than not I was feeling hungry and unmotivated so I'd go over calories for a day. Or 3. :) When I was fat, it was easier to find motivation because I didn't want to be fat anymore plus I got to eat more! Once my calorie goals were much lower and I was in a healthy weight range it was harder to stick to it. That's my experience anyway.