Dieting and exercising but not losing weight.

Options
Hi.

I have been eating 1800 calories a day. Exercising 3 times a week (lifting weights + cardio) and im very active at work, where i stand up all day, use machines and hand tools etc. I normally walk more than 10,000 steps a day.

I have been eating very clean and drinking 2 litres of water everyday.

I still have not lost a single pound in a month.
Its making me want to give up :( any help?

Replies

• wheelsjad
    wheelsjad Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    how do you know you are eating 1800 calories? Is that net or gross? Weighing and measuring everything?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Where did you get the 1800 from? Was it suggested by MFP? If so, I'd lower my calories but 100 and eat at 1700 for a week and see if the weight budges. If it does go down, you know you were still eating too many calories.

Be prepared also to have people responding to this thread ask if you weigh your food. I'm also pretty sure someone will ask you about opening your food diary.

But yeah, I'd just go down to 1700 for a week and see if I lost weight at 1700.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    In before somebody posts the chart and insists 'you're doing it wrong'
  • TaraHancock827
    TaraHancock827 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I try to stay under 1500 and go to the gym 5 days a week. I gained 3 lately...ugh
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »
    In before somebody posts the chart and insists 'you're doing it wrong'

If the OP hasn't lost weight, hhhhmmmmmm.... that might mean he is not doing something right!!

OP are you accurate on your diary, weigh all foods? How do you determine your exercise burns and did you just start any new exercises?
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Well, people don't like to hear it, but if you're not losing weight, then

calories_in == calories_out

Figure out where you've miscalculated. (eating more than you think? or burning less than you think?)
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    not like this is really answering your original question but everyone up there already has...but just a related tip is to weight yourself at the same time (preferable the morning when you're in a fasted state) three times a week and then average the numbers out. That should give you a pretty accurate weight that smooths out any water-weight fluctuations etc.

But yeah, as it's been said above. If you're not losing weight, either eat a little less or workout a little more and see where that takes you. It's a trial and error process that can take weeks to figure out.

good luck
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Well, people don't like to hear it, but if you're not losing weight, then

calories_in == calories_out

Figure out where you've miscalculated. (eating more than you think? or burning less than you think?)

Ditto. The physics is inescapable.