Any tips on vitamins?

Options
I'm looking to include vitamins into my daily routine per drs orders. I've struggled with a potassium deficiency off and on for a few years so I'm starting to take those again but it got me thinking is there anything else anyone loves that they're getting extra of?

My Dr of course recommends a multivitamin but I find the levels in them are generally a small percentage of your daily intake. Before i get a lot of slack..lol.. Ive read a bunch of different things online saying different things so hence the reason I turn to the community :)

I read an interesting article that suggested to break everything up through the day. It suggested to take: magnesium, calcium, and probiotics at night; your B supplement, C, E, and iron in the AM; Zinc, D, K, and Fish oil in the afternoon. Any thoughts??

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    This is what my MD has me on due to blood test results: vitamin D3. and Folate from brand name Solgar. She also wants me on a probiotic and fish oil.
    D3 is supposed to be taken with other fats but I do not see why multis should be taken throughout the day. --- seems goofy. I am doing IF.
    Zinc or course has to be taken with food because it can cause stomach upset. Some vits are "activating" and can interfere with sleep.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm no help. I just had blood work done....like an electrolyte screen or some such. I came back in normal range for everything! It actually surprised me. I expected to be low calcium since I keep getting stress fractures, but I was actually at the high end of normal. I don't take any vitamins at all....except when I have a stress fracture, then I take a b complex as I get numb feet from the fracture and the doc said it would help my circulation.
  • dizzielizzie82
    dizzielizzie82 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i take a daily supplement as research shows that although veg still has goodness it has gradually reduced over time, and therefore most people do not consume enough vitamins by diet alone!! it is important to look at absorption, circulation and fortification for optimal health and it all starts with health cells.. plus with added factors of stress, habits, environment and lack of activity adding to our overall health it is vital that we add supplements to help. i won't drag on but if you or anyone wants to know what i take please feel free to message me :smiley:
  • aflies
    aflies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use a daily supplement. I think it really helps and increases my mental stability, but I know everyone is different. Do what works for you! I would be interested in reading that article you are talking about though. :-)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    ainedwyn wrote: »
    I'm looking to include vitamins into my daily routine per drs orders. I've struggled with a potassium deficiency off and on for a few years so I'm starting to take those again but it got me thinking is there anything else anyone loves that they're getting extra of?

My Dr of course recommends a multivitamin but I find the levels in them are generally a small percentage of your daily intake. Before i get a lot of slack..lol.. Ive read a bunch of different things online saying different things so hence the reason I turn to the community :)

I read an interesting article that suggested to break everything up through the day. It suggested to take: magnesium, calcium, and probiotics at night; your B supplement, C, E, and iron in the AM; Zinc, D, K, and Fish oil in the afternoon. Any thoughts??

I would not self medicate with anything, including vitamins. If your dr recommended something, either follow this advice, or look for a new dr you will trust more. I am on certain supplement, on very high doses, because of diagnosed health issues, on dr's orders. But these doses would be dangerous for someone else without the same medical problems, and I would expect the same to be true for other vitamins and minerals.
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you take iron tablets in the AM make sure you don't have caffeine, calcium or fortified cereals with them or close to taking them as they inhibit absorption.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    ainedwyn wrote: »

I have the following in my house. All liquid form and natural, no additives:

Silverbiotics colloidal silver (great for the immune system)
    Survival Shield iodine (great for energy and keeping the thyroid balanced out)
    Thorne Vit D
    Secret B12

These are seriously all I need. If I start to feel a cold or illness coming on I up my colloidal silver and it knocks it out within 12-24 hours. That stuff is magic! :D
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I take Women's One-A-Day multi. I have noticed an big improvement in my energy levels since starting. Previously I took the store brand equivalent and didn't notice any energy change. The funny thing is I grabbed the One a Day brand bottle by accident when I thought I had gotten another bottle of the generic. I would not have expected to notice a difference.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I'm no help. I just had blood work done....like an electrolyte screen or some such. I came back in normal range for everything! It actually surprised me. I expected to be low calcium since I keep getting stress fractures, but I was actually at the high end of normal. I don't take any vitamins at all....except when I have a stress fracture, then I take a b complex as I get numb feet from the fracture and the doc said it would help my circulation.

Normal blood calcium levels can still occur in people with osteoporosis. You would need something like a bone mineral density test to check for that. I would look into it further with your doctor.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Normal blood calcium levels can still occur in people with osteoporosis. You would need something like a bone mineral density test to check for that. I would look into it further with your doctor.

@ClubSilencio I did not understand the point you made until I was reading about blood magnesium levels being almost without meaning. The body will work to keep the blood mineral levels 'normal' but it may have taken from our bones, etc so our heart keeps working. If the blood levels are not normal then we may die before we know there is a shortage of a mineral is known to us.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    If you're struggling with a potassium deficiency best way to increase it is through diet. Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Leafy Greens, Vegetables, Fruits, Coconut Water, and Meat (just to name a few). Google each one to see which has the best sources of potassium and that you will eat. Potassium tablets are only 99mg each, and if you tried to take enough to add more potassium to your diet they would probably eat a hole in your stomach or have worse effects.
  • Milka2615
    Milka2615 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use Thrive. It's a nutrition gab filler and it has worked wonders for me. I feel better, I'm much more energized, I sleep better, I was struggling with acne and my skin has cleared up a lot the benefits are endless. They have a formula for women with vitamins a women's body needs. Same for men.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I take:
    - A high quality probiotic (1 capsule 3X daily)
    - Fish oil
    - Magnesium citrate (Natural Calm. I don't know how many milligrams I take exactly. I just scoop it out of the tub with a tablespoon.)

The nice thing about multivitamins is that they fill in the gaps. They assume that you're already getting a fair amount of nutrients through a healthy diet, so they don't have to be as concentrated. This allows them to have a bit of everything (good, since there are limitations as to how much you can physically fit into a tablet/capsule). They also are optimized so that you're getting proper ratios of each vitamin. For example, D3 and K2 work together in ensuring proper calcium absorption and deposition. Whereas a singular D3 supplement would just give you lots of D3 (and no K2,) a multi would give you both without making you spend a ton of money. For most people, who typically don't want to figure out how many miligrams they need to take of each vitamin in relation to each other, multis are more practical (unless you have a diagnosed deficiency). Magnesium is good to take alone, though, as are probiotics and fish oils. Most people eating the S.A.D. Diet are magnesium deficenct, probiotics never hurt anyone, and most people don't eat nearly enough omega-3's in relation to all of the omega-6's that we take in.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's funny that you mention potassium.......many people, including health professionals, don't seem to be aware of the RDA of approx 4,700mg (about 10 bananas.....) As Spliner1969 mentioned you can get it from diet (an 8oz/250ml glass of V8 is 850 mg - go for the low sodium, a medium baked potato is almost 1,000mg etc) and getting enough potassium is as important to people with hypertension as watching sodium is.....
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I have always struggled with my iron absorption and have been hospitalised a few times because of it. I now take, in the morning, a holland and barrett multivitamin with extra iron which really helps me feel human. Obviously I am careful to include appropriate foods in my diet alongside this. I also take a strong probiotic once a day due to having three sickness bugs in a row which weakened my gut, this is great for my digestion. I think everyone is different when it comes to their vitamin needs, I'd recommend having tests from your doctor before taking anything beyond the realm of a multivitamin.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I get my multivitamin from my natraupathic dr's office so I know it's the good stuff. He said a lot of the cheaper generic brands don't work as well so your basically throwing your $ away. I also take a liquid vitamin D that has omegas in it & a calcium pill. Ask you Dr what brand they reccomend. Also bananas have lots of potassium! If you have a deficiency best to try & alter your diet to help so you're not dependent on pills (even if it is a vitamin) forever.
  • kingrat2014
    kingrat2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Vitamin because it has no fillers and no additives. So with finding vitamins like this I do not give a vitamin with titanium dioxide, sand or magnesium stearate any credit to being good for me.
  • ainedwyn
    ainedwyn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice!! I found another Dr to get a second opinion and she went over my labs with me that I had done. Glad I did because she recommended a few changes, avoid milk, sodium intake is a couple points higher than normal, nothing to worry about just being cautious. So now I'm looking for a good multivitamin :smile:

Of course she recommended me one a day and another brand but said to just do some research to see what each offers and make sure to read the labels.

I didn't expect this kind of response you guys are awesome!!