Low-Carb/Calorie Issue

Options
Hello everyone, my name's Julio - new to the forums but I've recently run into an issue that may sound a bit confusing, but I'll do my best.

So I'm trying the Low-Carb approach (around 50-100g/day in my case) to lose weight. I'm 167lbs 15% BF trying to cut to 155ish while still maintaining muscle (I lift 4days/week).

It's getting a bit challenging because in my diet before going low carb it was easy to hit my calories for the day. [Seems to me that most calories come from carbs]

As I'm eating less carbs I'm finding it harder to reach my calories - thats what I hear is most important anyway calories>macros.

In a nutshell:I'm hitting my macros fairly well but still coming short on calories. Should I just raise my protein/fat intake? Or lower my calories?

I feel if I lower my calories some more I'll be tinkering with my metabolism because I'm already fairly low. On the other hand, I feel as if id be overdoing it on the proteins/fat. So feel free to give me your thoughts and advice.

Thank you!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Karnac predicts someone will say "Peanut Butter".
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Avocados bump up those calories nicely.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    If you're hitting your macros you'd be hitting your calories by default, so I'm not sure I understand the question.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You didn't say how low your calories currently /are/ which could potentially make a difference in whether anyone tells you it's okay to cut your calories further. But assuming you set a reasonable calorie goal in the first place, then yeah, if you're finding that by cutting back drastically on carbs makes you naturally come in lower on your calorie target, all other things being equal I'd find ways to get more calories from protein and fat.

Aside from just eating meat or drinking oil, a lot of protein or fat sources also have some carbs in them so depending on how hard you're struggling to keep your current carb level where it's at, you may have to make some other compromises. As far as low-calorie protein is concerned, I'm a fan of greek yogurt -- it's not carb free of course. Avocados are a great source of fats -- and also have some carbs though a pretty nice high proportion of those carbs are fiber and kinda shouldn't count.

Without making any carb adjustments, salmon will help with both fat and protein and is freaking delicious. See also: sardines, tuna packed in oil. Eat chicken and leave the skin on, etc. etc.
  • Breadstick5
    Breadstick5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Up your fat and protein. Fat doesn't make fat and since you lift 4X a week your body should use it up.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Focus on nutrient dense foods. Avocados, coconut oil, nuts, etc are all great sources of fat but moderately low carb, and should assist you with hitting your protein goal. A handful of nuts packs quite a few calories. Personally, I'm loving Blue Diamond Smokehouse almonds. Mmm!
  • JulioLee17
    JulioLee17 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback, will definitely look into you guys's suggestions!
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yep i would up the fat definitely... you could up the protein too although it's much easier to eat more fat than it is protein... fattier cuts of meat, and fish, butter with everything, add double fat/oil to your cooking, full fat mayo, cream... easy to incorporate into all your meals and will up your calorie intake pretty easily (plus it does make your food taste lovely!)
  • gordonfitlog
    gordonfitlog Posts: 20 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Or, roast up a bunch of chicken breast, cut into cubes, and add it to everything. :)

Eggs for breakfast??? chicken omelet.

Salad for snack?? Chicken salad.

Need a quick snack? eat some chicken........

I really dont know how good this is for you, so if someone thinks this is a bad idea, please speak up. But yum yum, love my chicken.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Or, roast up a bunch of chicken breast, cut into cubes, and add it to everything. :)

Eggs for breakfast??? chicken omelet.

Salad for snack?? Chicken salad.

Need a quick snack? eat some chicken........

I really dont know how good this is for you, so if someone thinks this is a bad idea, please speak up. But yum yum, love my chicken.

It's good for you if you like chicken...! :)