Hard Time Losing

Options
I have been on my journey since January and feel like I have been successful. My body is more toned. I have more muscle, etc. But! The number on the scare has been fluctuating very little. Any suggestions? I workout 6 days a week and have been working on my diet (thats the hardest part for me). Is it possible the I am not doing the right exercises? I usually walk in the mornings for at least 30 minutes. Then in the evenings do another hour, either of all swimming or an elliptical and swimming. I feel helpless!

Replies

• Chrissy2627
    Options
    I would try mixing up the exercises a little. Your body starts to become conditioned when you do the same things over and over, so you don't burn as many calories doing the same thing. Also try to add in some strength training,
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    Awe sorry you feel helpless. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. I was told that your diet accounts for like 80% of weight loss and exercise is only like 20%. I know I dont lose unless i eat all of my calories plus some of my exercise ones. Also its good to mix up your exercise because your muscles get used to the same types of exercise. It may be time to mix it up a little. I know this has helped me a ton! Hang in there!!
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    It's great that you've been exercising and that does have great health benefits but unless you start making changes to your diet you won't ever get a handle on your weight. Not to say that you have to go crazy with it, but you do have to start cutting back. I have cut back slowly cuz dropping to 1200 calories was ridiculous for me given what I was eating before. I set my goal at maintenance level for a week, then have slowly upped my goal (thereby lowering my calories) over the past couple of months. I'm losing at least a pound a week and am thrilled with it!

If changing your diet is the hard part, make small changes gradually. I started out by just eating more veggies. Then I started eating smaller portions of other stuff, limiting my condiments, eating healthier snacks, cutting out pasta, etc. Just tackle one thing at a time and its MUCH easier to handle.

Having some friends cheer you on is great too! Add me if you'd like. I'm doing okay with my eating habits now but really need a kick in the pants to get some exercise. Have a great day!
  • grandpabiker
    Options
    If you have a heart monitor start wearing it, if not you can purchase one for around $35. Most have calorie counters. They can be a little cumbersome to set up (they ask for age, weight, sex, etc.). Mine requires a chest strap (can't swim with it on). You want to learn what your aerobic heart range is and try to stay within that range for 20 to 30 minutes. It will teach you that just going from a sitting position to a standing position will increase your heartbeat. More heartbeats=more calories burned. Normal activities won't put you in aerobic range but will burn more calories opposed to sedentary (watching TV, computer, telephone) lifestyle. These heart monitors are very accurate. Another piece of advice--don't try losing "gobs" of weight--one to two pounds per week is safest and healthiest.
  • giftedcat
    giftedcat Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi there,

I've been exactly the same! I am doing 5 classes a week, plus a 10 mile bike ride 5 times week.

I have been doing this for 4 weeks & have actually put on, so I know how you feel. I have however lost 7 inches all over.

I have to do a food diary for my gym instructor this week & to be honest, I haven't been great with the food side. He said that food is the most important thing though. As to lose weight it's 70% diet 30% exercise.

I myself am aiming to be much stricter this week & seeing if it pays off.

Good Luck :)
  • samanthannepstein
    samanthannepstein Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've been exactly the same! I am doing 5 classes a week, plus a 10 mile bike ride 5 times week.

I have been doing this for 4 weeks & have actually put on, so I know how you feel. I have however lost 7 inches all over.

I have to do a food diary for my gym instructor this week & to be honest, I haven't been great with the food side. He said that food is the most important thing though. As to lose weight it's 70% diet 30% exercise.

I myself am aiming to be much stricter this week & seeing if it pays off.

Good Luck :)

Thank you. You too! I need all the encouragement I can get. I am going out to buy a scale for food for this week and try to eat only things I make or eat at home. I am such a non home eatter which is causing major issues I think!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I have been on my journey since January and feel like I have been successful. My body is more toned. I have more muscle, etc. But! The number on the scare has been fluctuating very little. Any suggestions? I workout 6 days a week and have been working on my diet (thats the hardest part for me). Is it possible the I am not doing the right exercises? I usually walk in the mornings for at least 30 minutes. Then in the evenings do another hour, either of all swimming or an elliptical and swimming. I feel helpless!

If weightloss is your goal, diet is the first option in getting there. It sounds like you are doing VERY well with exercise. Keep that up, but slowly change how you are eating, too.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising to the point of fatigue (sounds like you are) then cutting back calories is the only other option. I find that simple things can cut off 500 calories per day. I use a little less cereal and milk to save 100 cals. I skip a few wraps when I order fajitas to save 250 cals. I’ll order double meat on my subway 6 inch sub instead of ordering a 12 inch (knocks off 150 cals) (I know I should not eat a 12 inch but I love a big sub). Salsa instead of salad dressing saves me 200 calories (or more) on the salad. I sometimes just use less dressing to knock off 100 cals. If you get the big bakery cookie, 1/2 cookie instead of whole will save 210 cals.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!