Gym routines help!!!

Options
I really could use some help with a gym routine...
Below is my following routine....

10 mins cycle warm up on a free cycle usually do average 7mph.

30 mins treadmill c25k (wk2 day 3) 5 mins walk warm up, 90 second run 12mph, 2 mins walk 4.5 mph x6, cool down 5 mins.

Stretch
Lunges, over stretch, plies,

Would like to fill with a circuit or strength exercises such as press ups, sit ups and plank.

Then I do weight machines 30/40kg on leg press 2x 12

( I don't know what it's called but it's a frame that you rest your arms on and pull your legs up to your chest and let them drop.) 2 X 5

Then do arms that you rest your arms on pads and pull them inward to meet and back out 30/40kg 12 x2.

Shoulder press 30-40 kg 12x 2

Chest press 30-40 kg 12x2

Inward thighs 20kg 12x2
Outer same

Calf 12x 2 30kg

Squat rack 10kg 10 x2

Then I usually finish. Id love to add in circuit and more cardio and learn how to split the routine. Help please!!

Replies

• Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    The frame thing exercise is called leg raises.
    Arms on pads thing sounds like the pec deck.
    Inward thighs are called hip adductions and outer are hip abductions (it's a bit silly but I remember it as ad = you are 'adding' to your body i.e. moving the limb inwards).

What are your goals?

Are you doing the same routine every time? How often? Do you enjoy it and is it challenging?

It sounds like a decent full body routine, but there isn't much emphasis on your back, maybe try adding/swapping something for some pulling exercises like dumbell rows or the seated rowing machine. This kind of movement: http://tinyurl.com/hox6fla

As a general rule when choosing what weight to use on strength exercises, you should pick a weight that you can just manage to do the desired amount of reps with, i.e. that 12th rep should be very difficult. The amount of weight you need to use to acheive this should go up over time. A lot of people like to do 3 sets, with the first being a low, easy weight to practice the movement and get warmed up before the working (difficult) sets.

In terms of splitting the routine, there are loads of different ways to do it, but a good basic one is something called PPL (push/pull/legs - not necessarily in that order) where you do a few more exercsises for certain body parts on certain days. E.g. 3 exercises for chest and triceps on Monday (pushing), 3 exercises for back and biceps on Wednesday (pulling), and 3 exercises for legs on Friday.

Hope that helps.
  • liftinggoddess123
    liftinggoddess123 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

What are your goals?

Are you doing the same routine every time? How often? Do you enjoy it and is it challenging?

It sounds like a decent full body routine, but there isn't much emphasis on your back, maybe try adding/swapping something for some pulling exercises like dumbell rows or the seated rowing machine. This kind of movement: http://tinyurl.com/

Thank you for replying. I have been back at the gym for 3 weeks now.

My goal is to loose weight and tone up. (I won't bore you with numbers) I'm short but I can lift a fair bit. But I don't want bulk.

I mostly do the same all the time. I've just added in the squat rack this last two week but not been concistant with it.

I try and train 4-5 a week. I do enjoy it but feel I could be doing more variation and challenge myself more.

• Jams009
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Actually I love numbers.

Doing a full body routine 4-5 times a week would be too much for most people. If you were pushing hard then you wouldn't have time to recover between workouts.

So perhaps you might be better splitting it up. E.g. Doing chest once a week, like in PPL, gives those muscles more chance to recover between workouts, which means you can push them harder. You also have more time to try more variety and different exercises since you are only working one or two body parts per day.

Whether you bulk up or not in reaction to strength training depends entirely on your diet; training can stay more or less the same whether losing, gaining or maintaining. If you don't have much weight to lose, eating at maintenance and lifting should get you there.

EDIT: ease into it though; if you're only 3 weeks in it's still very early days, you don't want to add intensity too fast or you'll be too sore to move, or could hurt yourself. Your body needs time to get used to working at maximum effort.

• Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Consider a split routine like chest/back, legs, shoulders, arms. The longer you have been working out, the more you will need to challenge your body to continue to make progress and feel the difference. Don't worry about getting bulky, it takes a very concerted effort to build muscle. But you will get stronger and probably more defined. Alternatively try something completely different like swimming or a specific circuit program for a few months then come back to your original routine.
  • liftinggoddess123
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    Actually I love numbers.

Doing a full body routine 4-5 times a week would be too much for most people. If you were pushing hard then you wouldn't have time to recover between workouts.

So perhaps you might be better splitting it up. E.g. Doing chest once a week, like in PPL, gives those muscles more chance to recover between workouts, which means you can push them harder. You also have more time to try more variety and different exercises since you are only working one or two body parts per day.

Whether you bulk up or not in reaction to strength training depends entirely on your diet; training can stay more or less the same whether losing, gaining or maintaining. If you don't have much weight to lose, eating at maintenance and lifting should get you there.

EDIT: ease into it though; if you're only 3 weeks in it's still very early days, you don't want to add intensity too fast or you'll be too sore to move, or could hurt yourself. Your body needs time to get used to working at maximum effort.

So far it's been ok. I am not sore or aching which is why I wondered if I was pushing myself hard enough.

What's ppl? I'm sorry for all the questions I need to understand as much as possible so I know what I am doing and doing it correctly and efficiently.

I do rest 2 days a week which does vary or which days I can get to the gym ect.

I eat a variety of foods no sugar, salt or oil. Try and eat fish, lean meats and chicken. Plus plenty of veg and fruit. I have a weakness for a tea spoon of honey in my English breakfast tea. Although I think this needs more work and concertration.

I'm not trying to loose weight quickly as I know that's just stupid and dangerous I've given myself a year to get to my numbers and get my shape back. If you want to know the numbers I'll tell you but I'm slightly embarrassed I let it get to this.

Before I went to uni I would take dance classes and go swimming. My work always involved manual labour so lifting has never been a problem. Tbh could out lift some of the guys at work haha.

Then at uni I studied dance, went swimming and played hockey so these always kept me fit. I wouldn't say greatly but hey it worked. After graduation I started working long hours dancing less and not caring. Now that's how I supposed I've gotten this far and need to do just get on with it.

Sorry for the sob story ahaha.

Ok if I can pick your brains for splitting the current routine that would be great. I can fiddle with stretches and core exercises if you have any idea to that would be great.

Do you think it would be wise to stick at 30 kg for the mean time?

Thanks again
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Download the Jeffit app it is completely free and has hundreds of workout plans tailored to every different goal. Also Fitocracy is fantastic.
  • Jams009
    Options
    You can message/add me if you want; I'd be happy to help you come up with something.

Some poeple don't get sore so maybe you're lucky... but it's more likely that you could push a bit harder. Doing something new usually causes more soreness at first and after you get used to it it affects you less.

PPL is push/pull/legs like I described in my first post.

There's no need to avoid salt, sugar or oil. Salt and fat especially are pretty essential. You can eat pretty much whatever you want as long as you eat the right amount of calories for whatever your goal is. There is a bit more to it than just calories, but calories is the biggest thing and enough for most people to start with.

I have a martials arts background so do a fair bit of stretching myself. I've been weightlifting on and off since I was a teen, but just started taking it seriously 3 years ago.

If 30kg is challenging, then sure. It's all relative to how strong you are, which is why people tend to use a number of reps to assess difficulty rather than the actual weight; e.g. if you can only manage 3-5 reps with a certain weight that would be considered very heavy. For you that might be 30kg, for me it might be 60kg, but it means we are lifting at the same level relative to our strength. Generally I think most people would say that 1-5 reps is very heavy, 6-8 is heavy, 8-12 reps is moderate, 12-15 is light, and above 15 is basically cardio.

Whatever weight you pick it should be one that you can just manage to do the desired number of reps for, so if you can do 10 reps with 30kg, but it's nearly impossible to do 11, then it's about right. If you could easily lift it for 15+ reps but are only doing 10, then it's not really doing anything.

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I really could use some help with a gym routine...
    Below is my following routine....

10 mins cycle warm up on a free cycle usually do average 7mph.

30 mins treadmill c25k (wk2 day 3) 5 mins walk warm up, 90 second run 12mph, 2 mins walk 4.5 mph x6, cool down 5 mins.

Stretch
    Lunges, over stretch, plies,

Would like to fill with a circuit or strength exercises such as press ups, sit ups and plank.

Then I do weight machines 30/40kg on leg press 2x 12

( I don't know what it's called but it's a frame that you rest your arms on and pull your legs up to your chest and let them drop.) 2 X 5

Then do arms that you rest your arms on pads and pull them inward to meet and back out 30/40kg 12 x2.

Shoulder press 30-40 kg 12x 2

Chest press 30-40 kg 12x2

Inward thighs 20kg 12x2
    Outer same

Calf 12x 2 30kg

Squat rack 10kg 10 x2

Then I usually finish. Id love to add in circuit and more cardio and learn how to split the routine. Help please!!

Am I reading this right? You are shoulder pressing 40 kg (~88 lbs) but only squatting 10kg (~22lbs)?
    Why are squats so light?
  • liftinggoddess123
    Options
    I never used the squat rack before so starting small where as I've built up to 40 kg before.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Squats are probably the most important resistance exercise you can add in to your routine. It works SO many muscles within your body, so it is good that you are looking to incorporate them in to your routine.

I would recommend a beginner lifting routine, something like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts (I prefer strong lifts).

These programs focus on full body compound lifts that are essential to any beginner and advanced training regimen (Squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, overhead press).

Strong Lifts: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/