Is a bologna sandwich a day a genuine health risk

Options
I love my 6-cups of coffee and my bologna sandwich most every day at work (it's delicious and cheap). I know bologna is very processed and is high in nitrates. I've read so many different opinions but most seem extreme to me. What is the REAL long-term health risk associated with nitrates in processed meats.

Regarding coffee: there seems to be more concern with decaffeinated versions. My grandfather ate very similar to me and even smoked cigars until he was 97 (although I had a great grandfather that died at 54). How much does recent genetics play in the whole of better living? Thanks for any feedback you may provide. I love this site.

Replies

• sacman_old
    Options
    I love my 6-cups of coffee and my bologna sandwich most every day at work (it's delicious and cheap). I know bologna is very processed and is high in nitrates. I've read so many different opinions but most seem extreme to me. What is the REAL long-term health risk associated with nitrates in processed meats.

Regarding coffee: there seems to be more concern with decaffeinated versions. My grandfather ate very similar to me and even smoked cigars until he was 97 (although I had a great grandfather that died at 54). How much does recent genetics play in the whole of better living? Thanks for any feedback you may provide. I love this site.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You'll find a ton of research to support any arguments. Both that there are no substantiated research to support that nitrates are dangerous and equally passionate sites stating that they cause all kinds of health risks.

You'll find the same level of passion of HFCS and artificial sweeteners.

The answer: Everything in moderation is ok. I don't think one bologna sandwich a day is likely to have any long term ill effects.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    With one caveat - bologna is usually crazy high in sodium. Depending where you get it from, a single serving can contain nearly an entire days suggested sodium intake. Just sayin :wink:
  • crosstitcher0563
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I LOVE your picture! WAY funny! LOL:flowerforyou:

Even though I have studied nutrition for years( I should have a degree in this stuff), I have never heard of processed meats being a problem with health. I've heard that they aren't the best thing and that it is gross what they put in hot dogs, but never that they are a health risk.

As for the coffee, I have heard that excess coffee and caffeine can cause kidney stones or gallstones. I only have one large cup a day, and I'm thinking of cutting back. I love my one cup of coffee in the morning. :heart:

Genetics play a large role in how long you live. Longevity is in my family tree also. My aunt has had health problems all her life and yet she is around 89. George Burns smoked cigars and outlived all his doctors. Go figure. I say that quality of life is what is important :glasses: Worrying about what is going to kill you is going to kill you. :noway:

Enjoy life. Have a GREAT day ! :drinker:

118689.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • winwin
    winwin Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Worrying about what is going to kill you is going to kill you. Right on!
    Every day they change what's on the list of what's good for you and what's bad for you. So, enjoy what you enjoy in moderation.
    Way cool picture of the skeleton!
    :drinker: