What to drink besides water

Options
I like drinking water with lemon but gets borning. I also do fruit infused water. I am looking for other health drinks iced tea or any other suggestions

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Besides water I drink diet coke, black flavored teas, flavored sparkling water and then occasionally I'll have light hot cocoa with 0 calorie DaVinci raspberry syrup mixed in. Oh, and beer once or twice a week :)
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Ginger ale and Diet Coke. I also like to have Crystal Lite on-the-go powder mixes on hand in case I want some flavored water, but that's not terribly often.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Coffee.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I drink diet soda, crystal light, coffee
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I put a green tea bag or two in my cold water bottle. Adds some but not a ton of flavor. Also like seltzer/sparkling water better than plain.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Whatever you like, so long as you it fits your calorie and nutrition goals. I just had a half glass (4 fl oz/about 120 ml.) of plain low-fat kefir (cultured dairy--kind of like drinkable yogurt). 55 calories, but 6 g of protein, which works well for me as part of my breakfast.

Other things I drink frequently or at least occasionally:

Unsweetened coffee- and espresso drinks, because I hate the taste of sweetened coffee, sometimes black, sometimes with reasonable amounts of cream or half and half, or large amounts of milk (e.g., latte) -- milk has sufficient protein and micronutrients to be a good contributor to my nutrition goals.

Tea and herbal teas (tisanes or blends) -- sometimes sweetened, more often not, sometimes with milk, more often not.

"Dirty chai" and dirty chai lattes (brewed tea or chai with a shot of espresso, mixed with milk if having it as a latte)

Diet soda or lower calorie (partially sweetened with sugar, partially with artificial sweetener). Sometimes at a fountain in a fast food place I'll mix a couple of ounces of regular soda with diet soda.

Wine. One glass is only around 125 calories, and there are studies suggesting red wine, which is what I generally prefer anyway, has health benefits (heart, blood pressure).

Fruit juice. I usually cut it substantially with seltzer (e.g., 1 part juice to anywhere from 3 to 8 parts seltzer). I started doing that just to reduce the calorie hit when I was drinking juice frequently, but now I just prefer it that way.

Vegetable juice, I usually get one that's already spicy, or doctor it myself with fresh citrus juice and hot sauce. If I'm getting V-8 or a store brand that comes in low-sodium, I'll usually buy that, because I started drinking it when I needed to reduce my blood pressure (yes, I know not everyone's high-blood pressure responds to sodium in the diet, but I was doing a whole range of things, including drinking V-8 daily for the minerals, and it didn't make sense to add all that sodium when I don't know whether or not I have sodium-sensitive hypertension tendencies), and now I just prefer it that way.

I also drink beer and spirits, but I don't consider them "healthy" in the sense of making a contribution to my nutrition goals. But if I consume them in moderation, they're not "unhealthy," in the sense of preventing or seriously hindering my meeting my nutritional goals. I can meet my nutritional goals with less than 100% of my calories, and have room for things I just like.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I really like homemade iced tea. I find a good tea I enjoy (I usually like fruitier kinds, like chamomile citrus or peach ginger and may mix a few compatible flavors to make my own blend), make a bunch, and put it in a pitcher in the refrigerator. No need to sweeten it and it's a delicious alternative to water and just as thirst quenching.

I also love iced black coffee, but that has a lot more caffeine.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I mostly drink water, but I also REALLY enjoy those MiO squeeze things on occasion. They have some that have vitamins and electrolytes added, and they are super tasty. I dont like overly sweet drinks so I only add half of what they consider a "serving" so they also last forever.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    g33kmommy wrote: »
    Water is best for you. I know it's boring, but it needs to stay your staple. Drinking enough helps flush out what you take in during the day and keeps you from retaining water weight. I wouldn't start on diet sodas, they aren't good for you. I'd say to try some sparkling water! It will give you that fizzy-caffeine type feeling to sooth any cravings there. If you're a fan of hot teas, green tea is great for you. They say two cups a day aids weight loss. I still have my coffee w/ a small bit of creamer every morning. :)

Not true. There is nothing wrong with drinking diet soda. OP, if you enjoy diet pop, go for it.

There are lots of zero-calorie flavorings for waters out there that can add some excitement to your water.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    green tea, white tea, chamomile tea, water
    you needs to be careful with lemon/lime/fruit teas as very acidic and bad for your teeth!
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Seriously, it's worth the $$ to get a really good water filtration system on your sink and some glass or stainless steel water bottles. Fresh tasting water is the best drink!
    I try to only have filtered tap water either hot or cold- or caffeine free organic herbal teas made with above water (no sugar or sweeteners). Check out one of those fancy tea shops where you can custom blend loose herbs & spices. The choices are limitless.
    I avoid bottled (plastic leaches poisons into your drinks) or carbonated (carbonation weakens your bones). No alcohol or caffeine due to health issues. Also no fruit in water as acids wear away the enamel on teeth.
    My weakness is unsweetened seltzer with fruit oils like la croix, as my husband is always buying them. If it isn't in the house, I don't miss it though.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Herbal teas are pretty great - you can make or get some really flavorful ones. Pretty much any edible herb can be made into a tea (rosemary or oregano, for example), and then other things can be added for interesting flavors like hibiscus flowers, orange or pomegranate rind (dried), stevia leaves (acts as sweetener), anise, olive tree leaves, guava tree leaves, just all sorts of things. Can make it bitter, sweet, tangy, flowery, etc...

Not only is it an interesting taste, but you are usually getting quite a number of vitamins as well. :-)
  • mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Teas of all sorts, Flavored sparkling water, Mio water flavorings, Smoothies, Shaved ice with a few drops of the Mio flavoring, POWERade zero.

I also enjoy a bottle of soda from time to time. I spread it throughout the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    vodka
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I take Powerade Zero, any flavor, fill a cup half full with it, and fill the rest with water. Sometimes the Powerade is too sweet for my taste so diluting it makes it better (makes it last longer too).
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I drink water or fruit teas (the flavour combinations available now are amazing). Plus one coffee and one normal tea a day. Anything outside of this is just full of chemicals and ick. Especially fizzy drinks. Yuck.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Tea, lots of them (green tea, favoured black tea etc) unsweetened, because i can really get to taste the flavor even more that way.. Obviously because i love them..

A cup of black coffee or Hot chocolate in the morning is perfect for me as well :smiley:
    and if i feel like it, smoothie is good too..

I was never a fan of carbonated drink so i don't bother with it..

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Still love my Diet Coke, but have to cut back caffeine. So I do also limit my coffee and tea.

I drink Perrier or soda water...often will add a bit of fruit juice. Probably should look at getting a soda stream.

There are also a lot of herbal teas/tisanes you can get at tea shops. I love fruit blends, anise flavoured teas...and especially mint. Very excited to see the peppermint and spearmint poking their heads up out of the soil yesterday.

• call3na
    call3na Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    There are also a lot of herbal teas/tisanes you can get at tea shops. I love fruit blends, anise flavoured teas...and especially mint. Very excited to see the peppermint and spearmint poking their heads up out of the soil yesterday.

Yum fresh mint tea is amazing. You've reminded me I need to plant some more peppermint!