First post is a rant please forgive me!

Options
I have been using this App on and off for 6 years. It usually coincides with my trying to lose pregnancy weight.

Anyways, I'm not sure what is the point of trying to log and count calories when the average user can't easily log properly. I know I'll get the"Oh I log fine and am losing steadily". But this cannot be the majority of people's experiences with logging?
The amount of threads asking for help as to why they're not losing weight is astonishingly linked to improper logging.
Why must we cross check and double check entries against the usda food database?
And woe to those whom didn't even know that the usda database is a "thing".

The post on how to log accurately was and is needed because as a new user left to your own devices, you'll ignorantly be logging wrong. I don't know maybe it's just my experiences.
However, I truly believe this system could be easier to use. I wouldn't ever recommend this App to one of my older relatives unless I had time to help them log each meal. No way would they be Internet save enough to properly log on this App.

I think if I were to pay for premium, the system would have to have the usda databases already linked to mfp. Users trying to enter wrong entries wouldn't be able to do so, as mfp would prompt you to match the correct database.

Thus creating an accurate and easy logging experience. I would pay for that.

Replies

• ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I really want to give the ease of using this App a 10.
    I have seen other apps databases and this is actually the best.
    But even if my great auntie and gran read the stickies, that wouldn't ensure they'd do this correctly without my help. I guess this app isn't for the Internet challenged lol!
    I think I'm asking mfp to do more than what it's set up to do.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    You can't fix people who won't read or ask questions.

This^^^
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I'd dare to say 95% of issues with logging is from people:
    a) estimate what they are eating - Oh I think that's 245g of chicken breast
    b) forgetting to log everything - Not logging butter or oil which are very calorie dense and a little goes a long way

Once I got accurate entries in my recently used, I didn't have to search for chicken breast anymore and know I'm using the right one.

It's only when people insist that they are logging with a food scale (aka accurately) that I would recommend looking at their entries used and if that's still correct, going and seeing a doctor.
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    There are stickies that explain everything to newbies - Most Helpful Posts - Getting Started (Must Reads) in the Getting Started section is a good place to start.

The biggest issue with entries is users entering wrong data. The basic app is free and honestly it's database is better than paid apps I've used.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I have been using this App on and off for 6 years. It usually coincides with my trying to lose pregnancy weight.

Anyways, I'm not sure what is the point of trying to log and count calories when the average user can't easily log properly. I know I'll get the"Oh I log fine and am losing steadily". But this cannot be the majority of people's experiences with logging?
    The amount of threads asking for help as to why they're not losing weight is astonishingly linked to improper logging.
    Why must we cross check and double check entries against the usda food database?
    And woe to those whom didn't even know that the usda database is a "thing".

The post on how to log accurately was and is needed because as a new user left to your own devices, you'll ignorantly be logging wrong. I don't know maybe it's just my experiences.
    However, I truly believe this system could be easier to use. I wouldn't ever recommend this App to one of my older relatives unless I had time to help them log each meal. No way would they be Internet save enough to properly log on this App.

I think if I were to pay for premium, the system would have to have the usda databases already linked to mfp. Users trying to enter wrong entries wouldn't be able to do so, as mfp would prompt you to match the correct database.

Thus creating an accurate and easy logging experience. I would pay for that.

Six years is a long time to be on MFP @ummijaaz560 .

Logging (I did it on paper when I did it since it was pre MFP) is simply to bring order to our eating so we can reverse our eating disorders. For some if us we may just be clueless as to how many and what kind of calories we are eating. We may be clueless as to WHY we are over eating.

When we get well and listen to our body telling us what to eat and how much to eat then it manages our weight automatically like a well person and most all mammals do.

Is MFP perfect? It does seem to at least be functional to millions. From the forums I learned about macros and how to search for the mixture of carbs, proteins and fats that worked for me. When I did all of my cravings left and my weight drifted into a non obese range and as my health continues to improve then I expect my weight to drift even lower. There can be states of health that has to be resolved before the body may let go of excess fat.

Congratulations on your children and work to learn more over time about how to eat for health and forget about weight loss. With better health comes better weight management almost without effort. It is just a by-produce of us eating in a way that is right for our own bodies. What may be right for me may be very wrong for you. The right mix of carbs, proteins and fats can be very different from one person to another.

Perhaps you can read and find a macro that sounds interesting to try and test it for 90 days then keep doing it, modify it or ditch it for very different macro. I bet over the next two years you will find a way of eating that makes your health happy. Best of success.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    But even if my great auntie and gran read the stickies, that wouldn't ensure they'd do this correctly without my help. I guess this app isn't for the Internet challenged lol!

So basically you are saying they need your help for everything??

My father has absolutely no issues using this app, and has lost 40 lbs in the past 10 months using it. The amount of help he needed from me? None, zip, zero. This is a man who can barely run on a computer. He literally just switched from an old flip phone that didn't even text, to an iPhone a year ago. He barely does anything online (online banking confuses him).

He read the stickies along with reading other posts and has no trouble at all.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It is really not that complicated!
  • ummijaaz560
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

So basically you are saying they need your help for everything??

My father has absolutely no issues using this app, and has lost 40 lbs in the past 10 months using it. The amount of help he needed from me? None, zip, zero. This is a man who can barely run on a computer. He literally just switched from an old flip phone that didn't even text, to an iPhone a year ago. He barely does anything online (online banking confuses him).

He read the stickies along with reading other posts and has no trouble at all.

Hi! My family has asked about what I'm doing to get back to my pre-pregnacy size , and have noticed my weight loss. I'm hesitant to have the older ones that aren't quite Internet savvy download the app.

I don't believe they'll be able to properly log without my help every day. How do I explain to them that they just can't go and put a 4 ounce chicken breast into the log.
    "Oh no auntie you must put the weight of your chicken in grams, and make sure you find the raw entry not cooked"! "But I already cooked it and it's "homemade " why can't I use the homemade one?" I just know how this would end for me.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just not sure why you posted this here instead of the Feedback/Suggestions board. It's confusing here on General Diet and Weight Loss Help since it's neither asking for or giving help. I agree that the database could use some work (I miss the asterisks) and I'd like to see some extra recommendations given to new users during the setup phase, but I don't feel that invalidates the whole app for me.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I found the MFP web site really easy to log with. I don't find it as easy to log stuff with the app.
  • ummijaaz560
    Options
    As an IT person you're correct the data stinks. It violates all of Codd's rules. There are many better ways to get the data that would result in a better(less bad entries) dataset.

As a user of the system it seems to work, that's important! Once I start using and I verify the data, it's cached and reused. So a one time hit per food. Not that bad. They should start a project to get better data, be harder to cost justify the project when the existing way ain't broke, just not as good for the user.

BTW it's worth every penny I've spent.

Thank you, you've said in brevity what I've been trying to say lol!
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    While I am losing weight and find the logging ok, I am not going to deny( like some of these people) that there are issues with MFP numbers. The very people that are on this forum "holier than thou" have often advised the people to stay away from " MFP's inflated exercise calculations" so I'm confused as that what exactly they're denying - when it's clear as day, the data is often "off"

I mosly find the scan code to be accurate and use it for the bulk of my logging which makes the logging smooth enough ... When it comes to meats, vegetables etc it's a pain in the rear because there are multiple entries. I do the best I can and move on. Honestly, I don't stress about my food to the gram and I'm still constantly losing weight - I hope u can allow for a small window of error when logging by staying active throughout the day and giving yourself a cushion that way.

All the best