I want to eat healthy but don't know what to make...

Options
graciej55
graciej55 Posts: 1 Member
Help! I want to start cooking healthy foods but all of the healthy foods on Pinterest are smoothies or have bacon! Please let me know what recipes you can give to me!
Thanks, Gracie :)

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Smoothies and bacon (mmMMmm bacon), along with most other things, can be healthy - it depends what you're trying to achieve and what you're eating in conjunction with them, as well as how much.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of roasts in the oven, bbq or pan fried.

Pick a protein
    Pick a method to cook it
    Be stingy how much fat to add
    Add a veggie
    Add a starch: baked potato, slice of toast, cup of rice

Done.

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Healthy is the tricky word in your request...and the misunderstanding and rebellion of it is why you are seeing the recipes that your are.

For me a healthy meal is one with that I enjoy eating and is full of what I need from a dietary point of view. So yes, that includes rice and breads...but also tons of fruits and vegetables.

As for what we eat - in the past few weeks I have made
    Tacos (I had chicken, boys and wife had bean) with lettuce, cilantro, home made habanero sauce, sour cream, tomatoes....yum
    Mushroom, pistachio, spinach risotto...I added a blade roast for me
    Arugula and kale salad with grilled chicken thighs
    Home made Borscht and sauerkraut perogies
    Trout with new potatoes and asparagus
    Sichuan eggplant, snap peas and rice...boys also had chicken in oyster sauce
    ...and yes, wine and a few IPA

It is about portion control and limiting packaged processed foods...my biggest challenge is that wife will only at fish otherwise is vegetarian, one son cannot have milk (Severe milk protein intolerance) plus two younger kids.... and since trying to lose weight (45 pounds so far) I have been eating far more meat than I used to...anyway, I cook a ton and we eat a ton...so it works.

I do post pictures in the show me section in recipes.....

• burkhale
    burkhale Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you searched Google for "easy healthy recipes"? Eatingwell.com , cooking light.com, etc have some good recipes and use MyFitnessPal to track your nutrition.
  • flyingfur74
    flyingfur74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My go-to site is www.skinnytaste.com. Great tasting, healthy recipes. Try the Taco Turkey Zucchini boats. They are fantastic, unless you don't like the ingredients. You can also search "healthy recipes" or "low calorie" recipes on Pinterest.
  • pcousins13Patricia
    pcousins13Patricia Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My favs arefFish, like salmon or cod. It's so good for you and so easy to cook. Pair it with some rice and veggies and you got a healthy meal.

Just about any meal out there can be altered to be healthy. You just need to use your imagination. :)
  • JenRainbow1
    JenRainbow1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato is lovely. I'm struggling too, I've made my usual pasta one day and had less pasta and more veg: pasta salad, I really enjoyed it. I do like salad but having it more than once a week as my main meal ... It makes me miserable!
  • jessica_sodenkamp
    jessica_sodenkamp Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love making nicecream, sushi, rice bowls, pasta, pizza...I post my meals on Instagram @jessicasodenkamp.
  • k8mcminn
    k8mcminn Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos with black beans
    Chicken picatta and salad
    Turkey burger on a sandwich thin with sautéed mushrooms and salad

On Pinterest look at the recipe and see if it fits your idea of healthy. That's how I have found a ton or vegetarian recipes since my daughter is a vegetarian
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    TheresaLisaJulieJean Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Use pinterest to get ideas and sub the full fat cooking oils for fat free cooking spray. Chances are if you are cooking real food (not from a box or package) and u are not adding to many fats/sugars/sodium in the process, then portion control should be all that's left to worry about.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com is another good site. Their Crock Pot Sante Fe Chicken is amazingly delicious at only 190 calories/serving (no rice)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts/
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Add me im starting to post recipes. Ive only posted 2 so far but i just started ill post another today