Body fat what does it mean?

Options
I had another post about BMI and was told to try body fat instead that it was a better way of knowing what was really going on. So my question now is I went to the site
http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bodyfat.htm and I got 32 but I have no idea what that means and what to do with it? Thanks

Replies

• miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I looked at that one, too, but had a question about the measurement. It asks for a waist measurement, but doesn't mention if it's waist at navel or waist at smallest point of torso. For me, the difference is about 5%, so I want to know, not only because it's over a range-border, but also because it's worth doing right if I'm going to use the measurement for anything useful!

As far as body fat percentages, here's what I'm finding:

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart1.jpg

(from builtlean website)
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    That's %
  • armywife26
    armywife26 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I looked at that one, too, but had a question about the measurement. It asks for a waist measurement, but doesn't mention if it's waist at navel or waist at smallest point of torso. For me, the difference is about 5%, so I want to know, not only because it's over a range-border, but also because it's worth doing right if I'm going to use the measurement for anything useful!

As far as body fat percentages, here's what I'm finding:

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart1.jpg

(from builtlean website)

So according to this I am obese. WOW I have a lot of work to do
  • OliveLucas
    OliveLucas Posts: 84
    Options
    your weight = body fat weight + lean body mass (which includes water, bone, muscle, and others)

weight loss doesn't always mean fat loss.

if you are losing inches, but not losing weight, which could be you've put on muscle, and your body fat % should drop down.
  • eyyoitsmejerry
    Options
    Go to http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
    Click on advance options and select the Katch-mcardle formula and enter your body fat %.
    Knowing your body fat % allows you to get a better picture of your lean body mass LBM which is what accounts for the calories that you burn throughout the day. Because BMI uses surface area measurement it doesnt take into account lean body mass LBM. Let's say two people are 5'9" and weighs 200 lbs. According to BMI (about 29) they are considered overweight. However person A might have 33% body fat and person B might only have 15%.
  • eyyoitsmejerry
    Options
    They have scales that measure your body fat% using bioelectrical impedance. They'd give you a more accurate reading.
  • armywife26
    armywife26 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lindsay6694
    lindsay6694 Posts: 182
    Options
    bump
  • eyyoitsmejerry
    Options
    chponline.com has some neat tools for measuring body fat% and the prices are not too shabby.
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    So according to this I am obese. WOW I have a lot of work to do
    I looked at it and thought "grain of salt." There is, according to this specific chart, no "overweight." Just average or obese. So, I figure probably 3% or so from each side make up the "overweight" category... but that's just me.