Dreaded baby apron

Options
I understand the importance of eating healthy and exercising and I have been doing great with both. I have lost 75 pounds and I can see my stomach is going to be a HUGE issue. As I'm getting smaller it feels like my tummy isn't shrinking it just hangs there. I drink tons of water, eat fruits and lots of vegetables. I try to eat as healthy as possible. I do cardio 5 days a week and I do the heavy lift AB workout 3 days a week. I understand I can't spot reduce but something needs to be done. I'm trying to do all this without surgery. The people who have lost the stubborn belly fat can you please let me know how you were successful. I still how a long ways to go on my journey but I really want to start focusing now on toning so I can reap the rewards later. I don't want to be skinny fat

Replies

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=r_J8btnIEKQ This 10 minute workout has helped a bunch, but after 3 C-sections, I still have hanging skin. I'm going to do Cold laser therapy when I hit my goal weight. It doesn't involve surgery and helps tighten the skin. I have the same issue in my inner thighs. Legs are rock hard, but the inner thighs... ufdah...
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 75lb loss. You might want to consider a tummy tuck.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I understand the importance of eating healthy and exercising and I have been doing great with both. I have lost 75 pounds and I can see my stomach is going to be a HUGE issue. As I'm getting smaller it feels like my tummy isn't shrinking it just hangs there. I drink tons of water, eat fruits and lots of vegetables. I try to eat as healthy as possible. I do cardio 5 days a week and I do the heavy lift AB workout 3 days a week. I understand I can't spot reduce but something needs to be done. I'm trying to do all this without surgery. The people who have lost the stubborn belly fat can you please let me know how you were successful. I still how a long ways to go on my journey but I really want to start focusing now on toning so I can reap the rewards later. I don't want to be skinny fat

At this point you just need to keep losing fat. You're doing great so far by eating in a deficit and getting in cardio and strength work. Just keep it up. It is very normal for stomach fat to be the slowest to go. As in you may get to 10 pounds above goal and like the looks of everything but your stomach. You're doing great, though. Just keep it up.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    The skin can stretch a lot over time, but it can only shrink so much ... and it may never shrink as much as you would like it to. The best course to follow is stay the course until you reach goal weight and maintain it for some time, then you can decide if it still bothers you or if you want a tummy tuck.
  • ups14
    ups14 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've done keto in the past and that seems to help a little and varied my workouts too but my body seems to be adapting faster than I would like. Any other suggestions on how to lose fat?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ups14 wrote: »
    I've done keto in the past and that seems to help a little and varied my workouts too but my body seems to be adapting faster than I would like. Any other suggestions on how to lose fat?

Eat in a calorie deficit.

Or have surgery (lipsuction, panniculectomy, etc.)
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=r_J8btnIEKQ This 10 minute workout has helped a bunch, but after 3 C-sections, I still have hanging skin. I'm going to do Cold laser therapy when I hit my goal weight. It doesn't involve surgery and helps tighten the skin. I have the same issue in my inner thighs. Legs are rock hard, but the inner thighs... ufdah...

Thanks for posting this link!!

For the OP, I say just keep rockin' it and see how your skin retracts. From your pretty picture, you look young. The skin retract some over time. If you lose weight quickly, it can take a little while for this to happen, as I have experienced several times in my life (Hello, stretch marks!!) so I'd just be patient and give it a little time. You're doing GREAT!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Have you done measurements?

Chances are that your stomach are is shrinking, but so is everywhere else (with 75 pounds lost, I'm sure you've shrunk everywhere!) so right now it's looking like it hasn't gone down. That stubborn belly fat seems to be the last part the body lets go of for many people, so as you get closer to your goal, you'll start to see more changes.

As far as avoiding skinny-fat, it sounds like you're doing the right things. Eat at a deficit, with plenty of protein and overall nutrient rich foods (a deficit is all that matters for loss, the protein helps with body composition, and the rest is for general health). Work out, including lifting. You've got this, it's just going to take some time. :smiley:
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Do you think you're battling visceral fat (around your organs making your stomach pouch out) or loose skin/flab? Or both? Intermittent fasting has been shown to reduce visceral fat. I have personal experience with this. Loose skin/flab is a different issue.
  • ups14
    ups14 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bmoremama wrote: »
    Do you think you're battling visceral fat (around your organs making your stomach pouch out) or loose skin/flab? Or both? Intermittent fasting has been shown to reduce visceral fat. I have personal experience with this. Loose skin/flab is a different issue.

I've been trying and also looked into lean gains but can't quite get it down. Would you mind sharing if you did 16/8 or how you approached IF?

Thanks!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 75 pounds, that's huge.

How much more do you have to go?

I gained 60 pounds in both my pregnancies, and my waist got up to 45 inches in both pregnancies. My waist is now 27 inches and I only have the mommy apron when I bend over. I lost my baby weight slowly which helped.
  • Aukeilagirl
    Aukeilagirl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 75 pounds, that's huge.

How much more do you have to go?

I gained 60 pounds in both my pregnancies, and my waist got up to 45 inches in both pregnancies. My waist is now 27 inches and I only have the mommy apron when I bend over. I lost my baby weight slowly which helped.

What did you do to lose it? I have a lot more weight to lose.