I feel like this is a really dumb question, but I'm also certain I'm not alone..

Options
Those dreaded words.. "ACTIVATE YOUR CORE!"

I feel like a total idiot, but I don't know what I'm doing! I know I'm not meant to just suck my stomach in or push it out, but that's the only two moves that region knows!! And with the covering of chub, I can't poke myself and see if the muscles 'feel' tensed.

tips?

Replies

• Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I often feel like exercise instructors don't really know what it means either, but my best guess is to tense your abdominal muscles like you were bracing for a punch. What exactly is it that you're doing while you're supposed to be theoretically activating your core?
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    When you do exercises to work on your core, you naturally feel your abs tense up to help your balance or move. That's what it is. Using/feeling those muscles being used - abs, sides, and back muscles.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Imagine someone is about to punch you in the stomach. Or, imagine you're about to brace to push something heavy, like a car.
  • lucyandjack91
    lucyandjack91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There are no dumb questions! I feel you as I have a really large stomach and so someone telling me to activate my core had me thinking 'what do you mean, do you see any abs here?!' Haha. I actually learned some useful tips doing yoga at home. Lie on your back then 'tuck' your pelvis up so that your lower back is completely flush to the floor and really pull down through your belly button to prevent your lower back from coming off the floor. It takes practice to maintain it for longer periods but this taught me what it feels like to 'activate your core'. Hope this is helpful! If I haven't explained this well just look at this technique on YouTube and it should be pretty clear :smile:
  • cesser1
    cesser1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There are no dumb questions! I feel you as I have a really large stomach and so someone telling me to activate my core had me thinking 'what do you mean, do you see any abs here?!' Haha. I actually learned some useful tips doing yoga at home. Lie on your back then 'tuck' your pelvis up so that your lower back is completely flush to the floor and really pull down through your belly button to prevent your lower back from coming off the floor. It takes practice to maintain it for longer periods but this taught me what it feels like to 'activate your core'. Hope this is helpful! If I haven't explained this well just look at this technique on YouTube and it should be pretty clear :smile:

This is a really good description. Thanks for reminding me as well. I have only just started yoga again.
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. In Pilates classes they say 'activate your t-zone' or 'activate your core' and I don't know the difference or if I was activating it. With a position called 'tabletop' ( RHS of this photo : http://www.whyiexercise.com/images/back.strengthening.exercises.tabletop.jpg ) - both legs up, my lumbar spine wants to curl up and my back aches. That part of my back is hypermobile so any core strength would help support this. I will be seeing a physio soon and hopefully they can help.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've been told the core is almost like a band going from the front to the back, a large muscle which holds everything in. Essentially like a nappy without the side bits, just the bit between your legs.

At first with Pilates I was like you. Then it kind of clicks at some point as you feel it. Best way I can think of is to do a pelvic tilt standing up. You tuck your tailbone under and kind of thrust your pelvic bone forward but standing in place. The only movement is in the pelvic bone. You'll feel it when you tilt forward, it's a sensation almost floating above your hip bones.