Failed lap band survivor

Options
:glasses: Hello, my name is Pamela. I had the lap band 2 years ago in August. I lost around 80 pounds. My highest weight was 310. I got down to 230 but have since gained 22 pounds back and have held steady in my 240's for over a year...needless to say, my weight loss has stopped and even reversed. I eat a lot of junk (chocolate, chips, ice cream) These foods go down easy so it is really easy to eat 2000 plus calories per day. I feel if I start tracking I may be able to lose on my on. I still have 102 pounds to go. On a brighter note, I am a hairdresser with 4 beautiful children ( 19, 16, 7, and 4) I am a busy gal. I love amusement/water parks, four wheelin and just having a good time...love the coast! You can see how my weight can hinder my activities. I can use all the support I can get! Looking forward to getting to know the community. If you need a weight loss buddy, email me at pamelaparrott@att.net.

Replies

• pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi Pamela, my name is Michelle. I have been interested in the lap band for a long time but have heard from many people that it does not always work. I enjoy rollercoasters but have not been able to ride them for quite a while now so I feel your frustrations. Good luck with your weight loss endevors. Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Welcome Pamela!!
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    The good news is there are a lot of great people on this site who have lost 100 lbs (and more) with just diet and exercise. It is not easy but it is worth it! Feel free to add me as a friend on this site, I try to be as motivating as I can.
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I had a lap band for a very short while about 6 years ago. I lost a lot of weight in the time I had it (about 80 lbs in 6 months). It slipped and could not be replaced due to scar tissue. I was so sad to have lost such a wonderful tool and, sadly, quickly regained all the weight and then much more. I'm finally back on the journey - this time flying solo. It's much harder but I'm doing it. You can do it, too! Use your tool - you know what to do. :)

Good luck to you,
    Shanna
  • gr8birdie
    gr8birdie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery in September 2009 and have lost over 80 pounds. One thing you have to do is still watch what you eat because you do still get the full caloric intake of your food which is not like gastric bypass or gastric sleeve. It is very easy to cheat the band and you have to be careful. Getting the band is only an aide nit a cure. You need to make a lifestyle change. I know many people who have had the band now for many years and have kept the weight off. I would say if you are ready for a lifestyle change then I would think about the band but if you are not sure you can do it I would think twice. Either way feel free to add me
  • gr8birdie
    Options
    Did they say how it slipped???
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Did they say how it slipped???

I was just the unlucky one that it happened to :sad:

I was doing everything right, but...
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    :happy: Hello and welcome. There is a lot of inspiration here at MFP.:happy:
  • atolar
    atolar Posts: 1
    Options
    aww, hate to hear that. I'm a lapband person and have done great so far. I've had it over a year. I just joined this website and now reading up but wanted to comment on yours in general. (will introduce myself soon).

good luck to you! if you want to talk you can friend me for support :-)
  • gr8birdie
    Options
    Sorry to hear that
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm A WLS buddy, there's loads of us :) Mine is on the wonk, I have to go back to Belgium to have the port replaced next month. Bit pissed off about it, but what can you do, that's the risk you take when having fills.

Is your band faulty or are you just cheating it? Could you possibly have a fill or defill so that you dont eat the slider stuff? Or is it perhaps more of a mental thing than a band thing? x

ps you might find that non WLS people can be a bit mental and get on you about having WLS, us WLS try to ignore them and have a ***** about it on our profiles pages. Feel free to add me, like I say there's loads of us and we have a great little community going on.
  • summerlee97
    Options
    Hello Pamela ... I am also a WLS buddy. It is funny to see no WLS people talk about the band and do not know the first thing about it. It is not like bypass or the sleeve. I chose the band because it is slower and can give the skin a chance to bounce back some vs the other WLS methods. The band is not a quick fix. I was banded 4/17/2008. I lost 35 lbs within 6 months and then go pregnant with my son. Needless to say, I gained the weight back plus a lot. My OB was not familiar with the surgery. And I could not find a WLS doctor as I was no longer in the state that I had the surgery in and other doctors did not want to take me on as a patient. So, i moved back to the state that I had the surgery in and have lost all 60+ lbs that I gained with my son and am lower than my pre-pregnancy weight... woohoo! I am loving MFP because the band is only a tool and this really helps me to keep track of my calorie intake. I LOOOVEEE the app on my phone. It makes it like a game scanning barcodes to keep my diary up to date. My son like to grab my iPod and run around like he is scanning the barcodes too. With the proper excercise and nutrition, we can all be successful.