breakfast ideas?

Options
jenkamac
jenkamac Posts: 61 Member
I'm in dire need of some new options for breakfast! I love savory things in the morning - I can't do sweet in the morning, I wish I could because there seems to be so many options out there in the sweet realm of things! I also can't have wheat (hives...it's ugly) so that limits my options. Recently, I have had an addiction to poached eggs on toast with cheese - but I can't have that every day!! Any ideas that may be healthier than that? Breakfast is definitely my favorite meal of the day. I'm a performer (opera, musical theater...don't get any ideas..) so my day begins in the afternoon and late into the night so breakfast is my time to sit and relax and enjoy.

Replies

• bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    yogurt smoothies are great. And you can add something like oat bran or powdered whey (I add liquid whey from my cheesemaking) to bulk it up for higher cals if needed. I have one almost every morning, as I make my own yogurt and so always have plenty. Use yogurt (plain unsweetened is best), your choice of fruit like berries, bananas and or peaches, etc. I sometimes add a dash of vanilla, a pinch of sea salt and if I need sweetness, a tsp of splenda or agave. You could use sugar, maple syrup, or honey.

I love my smoothies!
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with cinnamon! Yum.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Morningstar veggie patties are really good for breakfast. 80 cals apiece (the spicy ones are 70), they taste good, and they're quick and easy to prepare (they come frozen and you just microwave them). I find 2 filling enough if I have coffee or a little bit of something with carbs also.

EDIT: I looked up the ingredients and didn't realize they had wheat in them. But you might be abe to find a gluten-free version
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    whole wheat waffles. (Frozen).

I like peanut butter & sugar free jam on mine. Or sugar free jam and cool whip.

Hot cereal (Sunny Boy) w/ greek yogurt. High in fibre & protein.
  • atsimon
    atsimon Posts: 10
    Options
    I have 3 go-to breakfasts that I enjoy. All are protein-packed, which is the key to starting my day right. I either eat:
    1 egg, 1/4 c. egg beaters (usually with spinach or broccoli) and two pieces of toast

French toast stuffed with 1/4c ricotta cheese and strawberries and blueberries, topped with sugar free syrup

Protein pancakes - 1/4 c rolled oats, 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 1/4 cup egg beaters, pinch of cinnamon, topped with strawberries, blueberries, and sugar free syrup.
  • tracybewick
    Options
    natural or greek yoghurt with diff fruit each day (i love mango, pineapple, strawberries, raspberries)
    low in fat too and fill u up
  • tracybewick
    Options
    natural or greek yoghurt with diff fruit each day (i love mango, pineapple, strawberries, raspberries)
    low in fat too and fill u up
  • Nradkins
    Nradkins Posts: 1
    Options
    I love oatmeal. Not too cooked topped with unroasted nuts and dried fruit.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    turkey sausage patties or turkey bacon. with egg substitute or egg white eomlette....and you can make a half potatoes worht of hasbrowns if youd like, just cook it in evoo or canola oil
  • posiegirl
    posiegirl Posts: 2
    Options
    My go-to favourite right now is a fried egg on top of a bed of sautéed spinach.

First I sauté some garlic, add the spinach, squeezed a little lemon juice, add salt and pepper and cover until the spinach is wilted. Put that on a plate, wipe out the pan and fry an egg. For variety I'll add dijon mustard, nutritional yeast or green onions to the spinach.

I also like to brown onions, green onions or peppers and scramble them with an egg.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I really like a toasted Oroweat Double Fiber English Muffin with 1 wedge of Light Laughing Cow French Onion Cheese, a few slices of ham, tomato, onion and spinach. It's about 200 cals., very filling and yummy!

edit: could add a scrambled egg or scrambled "egg product" to that for a few more calories with extra protein.

blessings.