1800 calories and can't meet my BMR

Options
kvbart
kvbart Posts: 10 Member
Hi, I am new on MFP and just started a few days ago. I am a very active mom of two boys. I workout a total of about 5-7 hours a week. I lift heavy on some days and run 4-6 miles a week. MFP set my BMR for 1800 calories a day and I can't seem to reach 1800 calories by the end of the day. I'll be honest and say before starting MFP, I would still be hungry after a decent good meal and lately I am struggling to eat all the calories! It has definitely opened my eyes to what I was lacking in my diet which are carbs and fat. I am also on here to gain muscle and lose about 5-6 lbs. I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback on the first few days being a struggle. One more, my belly looks like a food baby with how much I've been eating and I was told it will even out and I will start to lose weight. Is that true? Anyone experience this?? Thank you for listening and I hope I get some good advice from some of you.

Replies

• Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    So you're meaning you struggle to eat 1,800 calories? How much are you consuming in a day then? Are you accurately measuring your food? Using a food scale for solids and measuring cups for liquids? Are you losing weight? Inches?
  • gordonfitlog
    gordonfitlog Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Small handful of nuts, Avocado, and butter.
  • kvbart
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yes I am measuring everything and since I started I have been under 200- 500 below my BMR. I'm eating all the peanut butter (I'm a pb addict
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    measuring as in measuring cups?
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary, people will be able to help you better that way.
  • kvbart
    Options
    Yup. Using the barcode scan, measuring cups and scale.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    kvbart wrote: »
    Hi, I am new on MFP and just started a few days ago. I am a very active mom of two boys. I workout a total of about 5-7 hours a week. I lift heavy on some days and run 4-6 miles a week. MFP set my BMR for 1800 calories a day and I can't seem to reach 1800 calories by the end of the day. I'll be honest and say before starting MFP, I would still be hungry after a decent good meal and lately I am struggling to eat all the calories! It has definitely opened my eyes to what I was lacking in my diet which are carbs and fat. I am also on here to gain muscle and lose about 5-6 lbs. I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback on the first few days being a struggle. One more, my belly looks like a food baby with how much I've been eating and I was told it will even out and I will start to lose weight. Is that true? Anyone experience this?? Thank you for listening and I hope I get some good advice from some of you.

Keep in mind 1800 is a computer generated number from things you told the software. While it is a reference point it may not be correct for you.

Do you have enough energy to make it through the day?

If you just maintain for a few weeks that is fine too. There can be a learning curve so do not be in a rush to see results. They will come.

Remember you have two different goals. Do you want to lose weight or gain muscles first since both are different tasks?
  • kvbart
    Options
    I shared my dairy and thank you for the honest feedback GaleHawkins. I am new to all this and have never really focused on my food intake as I have had issues in my past with not eating enough calories. Since I started I have been feeling good, but my body isn't used to taking in so much food. One day at a time I guess and slowly I will see progress. Not expecting to see results overnight.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I see a lot of measurements in cups. Are you using a scale for all solid foods?

Nut butters - Scale or using a table spoon?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I shared my dairy and thank you for the honest feedback GaleHawkins. I am new to all this and have never really focused on my food intake as I have had issues in my past with not eating enough calories. Since I started I have been feeling good, but my body isn't used to taking in so much food. One day at a time I guess and slowly I will see progress. Not expecting to see results overnight.

I will try to find the video by Dr. Fung out of Canada on the subject. Our rate of burning calories can actually increase as we eat more as it can slow down when we eat less. I think you are going to be more than fine with this thing. :)

Keep in mind some of us were nearing deaths door and often it takes us years if ever where you are starting out at. Actually you may want to also follow some of the body building forums. They cut some pounds then build muscles over and over for shows not that you want to do shows. All I am saying that really is another world from starting out obese.
  • kvbart
    Options
    I see a lot of measurements in cups. Are you using a scale for all solid foods?

Nut butters - Scale or using a table spoon?

I am not an expert with the food scale. I need to learn how to use it and with practice it should get easier. It's already difficult to log in everything I eat while having to take care of my two kids (10 months and 3 yr old). The food scale
  • kvbart
    Options

I will try to find the video by Dr. Fung out of Canada on the subject. Our rate of burning calories can actually increase as we eat more as it can slow down when we eat less. I think you are going to be more than fine with this thing. :)

Keep in mind some of us were nearing deaths door and often it takes us years if ever where you are starting out at. Actually you may want to also follow some of the body building forums. They cut some pounds then build muscles over and over for shows not that you want to do shows. All I am saying that really is another world from starting out obese.

Thank you again for your advice. I will look into the bodybuilding forums. I do know about the reverse dieting, flexible dieting, carb loading days etc. it's difficult to be strict with my new way of eating (not trying to diet as I don't believe in it) because I am already busy with two kids of my own. Once I get all the information all measured out and logged in I can use those again later on. No worries about the video, I will google it. I appreciate it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The thread title is confusing, MFP has given you a food intake goal of 1830 calories net of added exercise.

You say "I am also on here to gain muscle and lose about 5-6 lbs". What weight loss rate and activity level did you plug into MFP
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    What MFP is giving you is not your BMR. MFP is giving you a calorie amount based on your activity and goals. Very different. I'm 5'3", 138 and want to lose about 1lb/week. MFP gives me about 1300cal/day without exercise.
  • kvbart
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    The thread title is confusing, MFP has given you a food intake goal of 1830 calories net of added exercise.

You say "I am also on here to gain muscle and lose about 5-6 lbs". What weight loss rate and activity level did you plug into MFP

Sorry for the confusion, this is why I am asking for advice. Still learning the ropes here.
  • kvbart
    Options
    What MFP is giving you is not your BMR. MFP is giving you a calorie amount based on your activity and goals. Very different. I'm 5'3", 138 and want to lose about 1lb/week. MFP gives me about 1300cal/day without exercise.

Thank you for pointing that out. I am still learning on how to use MPF, where can I find this information (calories/without exercise) on this site? It is a big difference.
  • kvbart
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice, I apologize for some confusion to some. I'm not starting with MFP with being overweight or to lose weight overnight. I might be confusing some of you with muscle gain and losing weight. As far as muscle gain, I think I look too toned (skinny) and would like to gain muscle to round out a little more and look stronger than fragile if you understand. As far as losing weight, I've had two babies (via csection) and I still have some belly that I want to get rid of. It's not that bad but it's there andn3tphjlpbl2i.jpg
    uv75qrgei1re.jpg
    weswnmogf16i.jpg
    summer is coming!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    OP, how tall are you and how much do you weigh? Those numbers are key to determining your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate--the number of calories needed to sustain you if you were in a coma). MFP usually includes activity level in their daily caloric calculations, which makes it closer to TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure--the total you burn each day including exercise).

If you set MFP for weight loss, it subtracts calories from that number to give you the daily caloric deficit you need to meet the weight loss goal (pounds per week) you choose. Though it won't set you below 1200 calories.

Based on the pics, you don't seem to need to lose weight. And eating at a deficit will make building muscle slow and difficult.

If you've had issues with food in the past, I'd strongly suggest a therapist, to make sure your mental game is where it needs to be and help make sure things don't spin out of control. Please take care of yourself!!! :heart:
  • willvalenzuelawv
    willvalenzuelawv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Making shakes with PB, protein powder, and almond milk throw in some ice cube and that almost 400 cals. I do this for mornings and post workout or helps.