Heel Spurs HELP Please!!

Options
Hi everyone! With all my walking, I developed a heel spur and can't walk at all! VERY painful. Has anyone ever had one?? Does anyone know what to do about them?? I am worried I won't be able to exercise. Alternative exercise suggestions (besides swimming) would be appreciated! Thx!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, maybe you could swim? Biking is also an option. :)
  • SuperCartman
    SuperCartman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! With all my walking, I developed a heel spur and can't walk at all! VERY painful. Has anyone ever had one?? Does anyone know what to do about them?? I am worried I won't be able to exercise. Alternative exercise suggestions (besides swimming) would be appreciated! Thx!

Most likely you have a condition known as plantar fasciitis (google it if you like). The best stretches you can do are calf stretches (hold for ~30-45 seconds 3 times each leg). More often than not tight calves are the cause. You can also roll a cold can/ bottle of drink under your heels to reduce inflammation. It might be worth seeking out a podiatrist who can better assess you.
  • spsprd
    spsprd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had a heel spur, and it completely eliminated happy walking from my life for two years. Please see a qualified professional. I had plantar fasciitis (as I understand it, the spur forms to protect the fascia. Too bad it has such nasty side effects) and it took two years of very careful treatment and the loss of 45 pounds to resolve almost completely. (My current BMI, fwiw, is 20.5) Your foot has to be stretched carefully before you ever stand on it (even when getting out of the car); your footwear must be carefully chosen for arch support and heel cushioning; you must avoid high impact activities, standing on tiptoe, and even standing on your bike pedals.

Despite all that, you can still ride a bike. Just don't stand on the pedals.
  • Jeffrey300050
    Jeffrey300050 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks folks!
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I had it too...but it subsided with walking for more than 10 mins. Weight loss has helped a lot. Medical help is very much important and cushioned shoes. You can try a cross-trainer or stepper. Also hand kicks for good cardio.
  • aflies
    aflies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have spurs on each Achilles tendon. Be patient and keep stretching every day. I started out just doing chair exercises so that I did not put weight on my feet.