Anyone else feel like dieting is kinda hindering their socia

Options
I love what I've been eating, the results I've been having and the whole process! However I'm a 19 and my friends always want to go get something to eat, drink alcohol, or hang out at all hours when I'm trying to balance working out and working at my job! I don't know what to do i don't want to isolate myself but I'm finding it hard and I don't want to be that awk person who comes to dinner and doesn't eat! I was wondering if anyone shared this dilemma or had any advice? Thanks everybody, keep up the good work :)

Replies

• stronglikebull
    Options
    well at 19 you can't drink so there's no need to worry about calories from that. there's nothing wrong with not eating! just go and enjoy the company of the people you're with. or plan your meals around the place you're going to to budget for the meal. otherwise just get water and sip on it so you have something to put in your mouth to satisfy that eaty urge that tends to come out at restaurants. maybe fruit or a salsa/guac/dip with veggies instead of chips?
  • allystone
    allystone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 and I'm the same way, I dedicate saturday nights to myself-and If i want to drink I drink, Just on saturday's though, let your friends know that it makes it easier.
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    well at 19 you can't drink
    You can in the UK...
  • missxchelly
    missxchelly Posts: 180
    Options
    Well I am 24 and I seem to have a similar problem. Sometimes friends want to go out to eat and such. I usually just look up the nutritional stuff before I go to that place and plan out real quick what I'm going to eat. To cut calories, eat an appetizer or ask someone to share it with you. As for drinking, get a small light beer. Low in calories. Best bet is just to get the appetizer if you don't have time and have someone share it with you. The appetizers are usually really bad for you though and deep fried so maybe order something small and split it with a friend. Hope that works.
  • alphasigalum
    Options
    I feel the same way. My friends just want to eat/drink and feel like it has put a damper in things. I have tried to plan ahead but even eating healthy things, puts me over my calories for the days at most places! Plus I like working out in the AM so that means that I have to go to bed early! I would love to hear how others balance it!
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    You can in the UK...

Or Canada, or Germany, or Australia, Ireland, New Zealand.... pretty much anywhere except the US
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    You can in the UK...

definitely didn't know that! no wonder both of my siblings went to study abroad before they turned 21 haha
  • hng2101
    hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try to find places that you know list their calories or do your best to estimate what you're eating. For example I love the restaurant "The Pink Taco" and they don't list calories but I can estimate the tortilla soup, chips & salsa, and 8 ounce margarita based on other places--Island's tortilla soup is very similar so I'll list that. Chips & salsa are usually easy to find, and any margarita on the rocks is going to be about the same depending on the size/strength. When in doubt I over-estimate how many calories I'm eating just to be safe.

Try to plan ahead. When I know I'm going out i don't eat much through out the day. For example, today I knew my boyfriend was making banana chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast so I planned on eating a really small lunch and running a little further to make up the difference.

You can still have a life and eat, just don't go nuts!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Actually the US (and certain middle eastern countries, oddly enough) are the only ones with such a high drinking age, I believe. Canada is 19, most places are.

Anyway, I stopped drinking in my 20s, it just didn't make me feel good. You have to get yourself to the place where YOU don't feel the need to jump off a bridge because your friends are. I go out with my friends every weekend. And every weekend I drink Diet Coke, and watch them get stupid. I dance, I laugh and I enjoy myself sober. I've been doing this for 20 years or so.

I may have a drink, and about twice a year I really have at it, but that's the cost of life. Nobody is stopping you from going out and having a good time except you.

The best part is calling them up the next morning and asking if they want to go to the gym :0
  • Blabob
    Blabob Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I go out, I drink Diet Coke. It was a pain early on but now it works for me and no fears of a DUI. If I had done more of that when I was 19 I wouldn't have such a long way to go. If I choose to drink, Jack Daniels and Diet Coke is a lot less than any of the fruit drinks.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Maybe find some workout buddies and start hanging out with them and try to get your old friends to try something better for themselves. Lead by example. Show them the benefits of better choices.
  • hng2101
    hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I also agree with missxchelly--splitting a plate is AWESOME! I do this with cheeseburgers all the time. So a Ruby's, or island's, or any other burger joint restaurant cheeseburger is 900 calories... well if you split it it's 450. That's just not that bad! Not an everyday thing of course, but it's not bad. Get that and a dressing free (or light dressing) salad and don't drink and you're golden. OR split the meal and skip the salad and drink. There are lots of ways to "cut corners" and actually save money that way too :-)
  • peacestar84
    peacestar84 Posts: 100
    Options
    I go out friday and saturday with my friends and it always involves a pub with endless beer and fried food. I have learned to save calories and exercise well the day of and then it's a grilled chicken burger with salad usually and a low cal beer usually between 67-120 cals and sometimes rum and diet coke. I never have more than two drinks and choose food carefully. If its hanging out at a house I will take my own drinks and snacks to not feel left out.
  • perceptualobfuscator
    perceptualobfuscator Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    well at 19 you can't drink so there's no need to worry about calories from that. there's nothing wrong with not eating! just go and enjoy the company of the people you're with. or plan your meals around the place you're going to to budget for the meal. otherwise just get water and sip on it so you have something to put in your mouth to satisfy that eaty urge that tends to come out at restaurants. maybe fruit or a salsa/guac/dip with veggies instead of chips?

Actually, in many areas 19 is the legal drinking age. In some places it's even less. Just FYI.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    You can in the UK...

Or Canada, or Germany, or Australia, Ireland, New Zealand.... pretty much anywhere except the US

Pfft can in the US too xD just gotta be smart :p fact is basically everyone 16+ in the US will drink.
  • MrsVerhaeghe
    MrsVerhaeghe Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem for a while. But if you plan your meals out and just budget your calories around it then you should be okay. Also only eat half and save the other half for later. And I give myself 200 extra calories on Saturdays. Its kinda like my cheat day. Hope this helps!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love what I've been eating, the results I've been having and the whole process! However I'm a 19 and my friends always want to go get something to eat, drink alcohol, or hang out at all hours when I'm trying to balance working out and working at my job! I don't know what to do i don't want to isolate myself but I'm finding it hard and I don't want to be that awk person who comes to dinner and doesn't eat! I was wondering if anyone shared this dilemma or had any advice? Thanks everybody, keep up the good work :)

Back to the original topic:flowerforyou:

It occured to me early on that one of my closest friends is into a healthy lifestyle. I do not ever remember caring what she ate or that she went for a run on the beach prior to our daily activities. I do remember thinking "Man I wish I exercised every morning, what dedication!"

You can be YOU, and once you accept that this is who YOU are then others will follow suit. You can make your own decisions at each place you go.

Good luck, your on the right track!!:flowerforyou:
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I think it's like that for everyone not just younger people. It seems we all get together over food. IDK why.
    My girlfriends and I have Thursday girls day. We get together swim and have some cocktails and lunch. It seems we have fairly good food b/c we do it potluck and we're all thinking about cals etc.

I'm trying to get them all together and go out to the lake for Stand Up Paddling (SUP) class and fun. Then we could grab lunch at one of the resorts/restaurants out there (Lake Las Vegas). At least we would've done a workout before eating. Hoping to do this in one of the next 3 weeks.

Maybe if you start doing something before you go and eating/drinking. At least you'd be burning some calories with your friends before you play so to speak.

Good luck. I find you have to find something you all have wanted to try and keep on them about a date etc.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My girl friends seem to copy me. If we go for lunch and I order salad they do too. If I start a health kick they start counting calories too. Exercise too. They don't stop drinking though, they just complain about it more.

I don't speak about diet to guys, they always respond the sane way "you dont need to lose any weight" and there's no point explaining I just want to tone up....

When I'm out I will sometimes gave a glass of wine, but drink it really slowly and order a pint of ice lemon water too. I find myself wanting to go home earlier, but that's partially because I want to get up earlier.
  • Lanceeee
    Lanceeee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As a traveling consultant, I eat out every night during the week. Try and direct the group to someplace that has some healthy dishes. Most restaurants seem to have some low cal dishes. And plan your calorie intake and exercise such that you have some left over for going out. Now alcohol, that is a different story. But sitting home while your friends are out is not healthy either. And don't forget to count the calories burned while dancing.