Running/Jogging Advice

Options
Everyday I literally want to RUN.... but when I try I get so winded I STOP. How do runners build up the stamina to just jog?

Any advice would be helpful n appreciated.

Replies

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Start off really slow - if you're winded, you're likely running too fast.

I also started with the Couch to 5k program. It builds you up to running for 30 minutes straight over an 8 or 9 week period through intervals of walking/running. It really helped me!
  • meredith6645
    meredith6645 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I can't even run 2 minutes without stopping :/
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Try doing intervals. Run for one minute, walk for 2 minutes repeat. After about a 5 minute slow warm up of course.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Start with something like C25K...you build up to it...nobody just gets off the couch and goes running for three miles or whatever. The C25K program will build you up to it with running and walking intervals...over the ensuing weeks of the program you eventually get to the point where you can run a 5K.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    That's the beauty of C25K. To start with you're only running for a very short time for each interval with walking in between to let you get your breath back. As the programme progresses you end up running for slightly longer for each interval with shorter or fewer walking intervals in between. Eventually you'll be able to run for 30 mins without stopping :)

• Somebody_Loved
    Options
    CarolynB38 wrote: »
    That's the beauty of C25K. To start with you're only running for a very short time for each interval with walking in between to let you get your breath back. As the programme progresses you end up running for slightly longer for each interval with shorter or fewer walking intervals in between. Eventually you'll be able to run for 30 mins without stopping :)

Exactly! Give it a try and don't be afraid to repeat days or workouts. When I started I could barely run for 30 seconds.
  • meredith6645
    Options
    What's C25K and where do I find it?
  • PlantBasedRnr
    PlantBasedRnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Patience young grasshopper... these things take time.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options

I used the app for my iphone - it's by Zenlabs. Search for Couch 2 5k in the app store and a few will come up. You can also find a printable copy online (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml - program is at the bottom of the page).
  • meredith6645
    Options

I used the app for my iphone - it's by Zenlabs. Search for Couch 2 5k in the app store and a few will come up. You can also find a printable copy online (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml - program is at the bottom of the page).
    Patience young grasshopper... these things take time.

I'm 49 ;)
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Step 1 couch 2 5k, - it's based on run/walk intervals.

Step 2 go to the challenges section of this site, join the monthly running challenge.

Step 3. There is no step 3, you are a runner.
  • meredith6645
    Options
    Step 1 couch 2 5k, - it's based on run/walk intervals.

Step 2 go to the challenges section of this site, join the monthly running challenge.

Step 3. There is no step 3, you are a runner.

I'm glad u wrote this because I don't understand the app...... Still.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Recommend Runkeeper or Runtastic on your smart phone, good for tracking what you do and giving you credit on your MFP log. I've been running since Gerald Ford was President. I recommend you find a pleasant route you can do from your front door that is at least 3 miles. Walk the whole thing. Then, as others have already mentioned, add running intervals as you are able. Mileage will get you where you want to go. FYI, losing weight really helps running---alot!! FYI, running really helps losing weight---alot!!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Cough to 5k. Go here:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

You can download the app, or you can use their instructions for how much you run/walk with a simple timer.

You are probably going too fast. Think jog/shuffle, not "run". Speed will come later. You need to start slow. You should be able to speak a few sentences without gasping for breath.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Try doing intervals. Run for one minute, walk for 2 minutes repeat. After about a 5 minute slow warm up of course.

This. Do this. Lifting weights is good for adding to stamina when running as well (obviously not at the same time lol). Good luck!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I also suggest the C25K program but also wanted to stress SLOW DOWN. Like no, go slower. Too slow? No such thing. If you can walk faster than you are running, that is fine. The key to C25K is building up, it is not about speed. Go as slow as you need to to get through the run interval time. Speed comes later.
    The #1 mistake most new runners make is running too hard (and to be honest, it is a mistake many experienced runners make in training).
  • janekenney95
    janekenney95 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Intervals! That's what made me find a love for running (I used to hate it). I do about a 5-10 minute warm-up walk, and start a 2-min jog... go back to walking for a few minutes, and pick up the jogging again. So, I'm still getting the workout in and getting the heart pumping, but also not taking it to an extreme where I end up winded after 2 minutes, because that used to happen to me! I hope you find what works best for you. :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I used songs to time my intervals. Over time, I shifted the length of the songs to run more and walk less. Made the time fly by!
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Breathe in through your nose and out your mouth.