Frustrating setback, what to do?

Options
I've been cutting calories for about 6 weeks now and really upped my game at the gym, I've been seeing great results... And then I got sick. I've had a chest infection and have been totally drained and feeling heavy all week. I've taken the week off but this illness is lingering and I'm itching to get back to the gym. I tried running yesterday and was left wheezing after 3 minutes and I wanted to collapse. Today, I feel like my energy is slowly coming back, but the chest infection is definitely not gone.
Do I wait until I'm completely better to workout? What if it lingers for weeks? How do I adjust my calories so I don't gain everything back lying in bed all day?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Light exercise. Go for walks. I'd perhaps eat at maintenance so that your body has fuel to fight the infection.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The general guideline I've always followed with regard to working out is that if the illness is above my neck (minor head cold, minor headache, etc) then an easy workout should be fine. If it's anything below my neck (congestion in my chest, hip/shin/heel pain, etc) then it's time off from running.

Bottom line - you need to rest and let your body heal. Eat appropriately and stay within your allotted calories for the day and you will be fine. I know when I am sick I usually eat a lot less than I do when I am working out 5 days a week.

Edited to add: I like what the poster above said about eating at maintenance. Great idea!
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    So how would I calculate my maintenance? Usually I need 2'000 to maintain when I workout 5x a week, however if I'm lying in bed all day, that number surely has to be lower..?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You need to rest...a little rest isn't going to set you back. I regularly take rest weeks and I almost always hit PRs when I come back. At most, go for a walk...more strenuous exercise when you have a chest infection is just going to prolong things.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Chest colds can turn into bronchitis or worse if you don't take care. Rest and eat at your maintenance level then come back like a beast.