Push-ups

Options
Any ideas on how to increase push ups I want to do more but seemed to plateau

Replies

• filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Increase the complexity of the push-ups instead of doing more. Example: Feet elevated, or explosive push-ups, or hands on a Swiss ball, or push-up and row.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Try different variations. Box, archer, elevated, etc.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Banded pushups. We had to do these in Quantico when i was at the fbi academy and training. Get a medium resistance band, put it around you and put your hands on the front piece of the band. get down to do a normal pushup, and when you push UP, the tension will force you down. Even if you can only do 5... you'll have that progressive overload of weight which in turn will lead to more strength.

Also, depending on how you do pushups and you're hand placement... you can make it a chest exercise (far), or a tricep exercise (close). So.... determine that... and work that bodypart too.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    do some accessory muscle work like triceps and lat exercises. wide grip pullups, etc.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Push ups with a suspension trainer, set so hands just above the ground. The instability makes the move much harder.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    How are you training right now? Are you just trying to get as many as you can?
  • Burandt80
    Burandt80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I m not great with push-ups and need to improve before I test out.