Muscle Soreness

Options
Hi, I have been exercising for about 6 weeks now, 4-5 days a week, and am noticing after my workouts I am progressively sore throughout the day. I am only doing cardio for now, and my leg muscles ache all day. I stretch before and after, and am trying to eat protein after my workouts. What else can I do to prevent soreness? Yesterday it was so bad in the AM, that I skipped my workout for the day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water after exercising....soreness can be lactic acid buildup, or you are just exercising too intensely....try a lighter workout, or take an extra day of rest w/out working out to let your body recover.....I was starting to get that too....I just upped the water and went a day without exercising and I feel much better!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water... make sure your protein after workouts is a quick digesting source like whey protein. Perhaps you've started off too aggresively. If you've only been exercising for 6 weeks, 4 - 5 days might be too much to start with. Are you breaking up the areas that you work on different days? There should be atleast 48 hours between working the same muscle group. (i.e, only do legs every other day), etc. If you are doing total body workouts, then maybe do 1 cardio day and then strength training the next day.
  • missmaya24
    missmaya24 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a recovery drink? I really like Accelerade or the P90X results and recovery drink.. I will drink it during or after a workout and it really help with the soreness. It also helps to rehydrate you.
  • Markymark1
    Options
    For quick clean recovery eat a whole protein or drink a protein shake 30-45 post work out. I also am religious on glutamine powder 5g everyday 2 times a day for awesome recovery time!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is one of the best things to have as a recovery drink if you don't have access to the protein recovery drinks!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    WATER WATER WATER. IT IS DOMS - delayed onset muscle soreness. If you eating and drinking right. THis will get better. If you cange your workouts up then you may notice soreness. If your weight training go everyother day and do cardio on the other days. PS NEVER strech your muscle untill they are warm you may snap someting. Make sure your body is warm before you strech. Also epsom salt baths are great for DOMS.

17 Amazing Epsom Salt Health Remedies83
    rate or flag this pageTweet thisBy Violet Flores

Magnesium Sulfate ~ Epsom Salt Epsom salt, or magnesium sulfate, is a very important element that helps regulate the human body. Here are 17 amazing ways it can be to keep you in good health.

Epsom salt flushes toxins out of the body, improves nutrient absorption during digestion, helps build the proteins that your joints and brain tissue are made up of, and also helps avoid and/or relieve migraine headaches.

Hair
    Use as a conditioner to add shine and volume your hair:

Mix 50% Epsom salt with 50% of deep conditioner in a saucepan, and heat slightly. When the mixture is at a good temperature apply and massage into your hair. Leave this on for 20 minutes then rinse off.

Use as an oil removing shampoo:

Mix 9 Tablespoons of Epsom salt with 1/2 cup of shampoo for oily hair. With dry hair massage one tablespoon of the shampoo mixture into your scalp, and then rinse off with cold water. After rinsing pour lemon juice or apple cider vinegar through your hair, and leave this on for 5-10 minutes before rinsing out.

Use as a gentle hairspray remover:

In a large container add 1 gallon of water, 1 cup Epsom salt, and 1 cup of lemon juice. Mix thoroughly and cover the container. Let the mixture sit for 24 hours prior to using. When you are ready to use it wet your hair with the mixture and keep on for 20 minutes, and shampoo normally afterwards.

Skin
    Use as a moisturizing hand wash:

Mix equal parts of Epsom salt and baby oil clean & soften your hands effectively.

Use as a skin exfoliator:

Wet your skin in the shower then rub handfuls of Epsom salt onto your skin. It is best to start at your feet and work your way up towards your face. Take a bath to rinse off.

Get rid of blackheads:

Dissolve 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt in 1/2 cup of boiled water, and add 3 drops iodine. Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and apply to your blackheads three times.

Make your own skin mask:

For dry to normal skin, mix 1/2 teaspoon Epsom salt with 1/4 cup of grated carrot, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of mayonnaise. Apply this mixture to damp skin. For normal to oily skin, mix 1/2 teaspoon Epsom salt with 1 tablespoon of cognac, 1 egg, 1/4 cup of non-fat dry milk, and juice from 1 lemon.

Enhance your nightly face wash:

Combine 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom salt with your normal facial cleaner. Massage into your skin then rinse off with cold water.

Relieve itchy insect bites:

Dissolve equal parts of Epsom salt with water and use as a compress on your bug bites.

Eliminate foot odor:

Soak your feet in 1/2 cup of Epsom salt and warm water for 10 minutes.

Get rid of toenail fungus and athletes foot:

Soak your toes in hot water and a hand full of Epsom salt three times each day.

Soften rough skin on your feet:

Soak your feet in 1/2 cup of Epsom salt and warm water until the water is cold.

NOTE:
    Baking soda is also very effective to use as a skin treatment.

General Health
    Eliminate toxins from the body through your skin:

Soak in a hot bath with two cups of Epsom salt for at least 10 minutes each week.

Relieve stress:

Soak in a hot bath with 2 cups of Epsom salt. For further relaxation add a few drops of lavender or chamomile essential oil.

Soothe achy muscles:

Soaking in a hot bath with 2 cups of Epsom salts will reduce any swelling from sprains and bruises.

Remove a splinter:

Soak skin in Epsom salt and water until the splinter is drawn out.

Relieve constipation:

Adult dosage (12 years old and over): Mix 2 – 6 teaspoons of Epsom salt with 1 cup of water. Drink once or divide into dosages. Lemon juice may be added to improve the taste.

Child dosage (6 – 12 years old): Use 1 – 2 teaspoons Epsom salt with 1 cup of water.

Interesting Water Facts

We all know that water is important, but I’ve never seen it described like this before!!!!

75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. ( Likely applies to half the world population). In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for Hunger. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%. One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of dieters studied in a U- Washington study. Lack of water, the 1# trigger of daytime fatigue. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking the amount of water you should everyday???
  • precioustypeoflove
    precioustypeoflove Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i went through the same thing drink a ton of water stretch more before and after then try to take a cold shower are ice ur muscle the use a heating pad and elevate ur legs this helped me alot and take a few days off or do a lite work out
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.....I found putting 2 cups of edsom salt in your bath after you workout helps the muscles. Hope it helps!
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Options
    A couple of suggestions...

Switch up your workouts. If you're doing the exact same cardio workout every day, you're taxing the same muscles repeatedly.

Stretching is crucial and if you want to take it one step further, get a foam roller. They are fantastic.

You can also take a supplement called glutamine but you have to take it BEFORE your workouts.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    glutamine
  • meganlynn1984
    meganlynn1984 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I dont think water is my problem...I drink about 100 oz. daily. I do however, exercise my legs everyday on the elliptical and a few other cardio machines. I didnt want to lift weights or anything like that, until I dropped some weight first. So I think after 4 days, constant cardio, that may be my problem. I will also look into the supplements and protein shakes. Thanks everybody!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Your body needs recovery time. Good idea to not abuse the body!!! :bigsmile:
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    bump to save
  • awandell
    awandell Posts: 62
    Options
    I know this was discussed long ago, but thanks from newbies like me. I've never heard of recovery supplements and have no idea what protein does for workouts, so information like this is so helpful. And thank you X10 for the epsom salt bath suggestions too.