struggling to shift the weight

Options
I exercise 5-6 times a week which includes cardio and weights and yet i cant shift the weight from my tummy

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a bit incidental, tell us about your eating (or open your diary)
  • Andreacampbell444
    Andreacampbell444 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Im not a big eater. I have chicken salad for lunch and eggs for tea.......... But about 4/5 glasses of wine a night. I cant believe its the wine why im fat!!!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories. If you consume fewer calories than your body uses, you'll lose weight. If you don't, you won't.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How many calories in the wine?
    (I've got some glasses that take a full bottle!)

How many calories of food?
  • Andreacampbell444
    Options
    I go with 400 calories in half a bottle, but im not eating a lot of food and im at the gym doing a class for 30 mins on my lunch, then back doing two classes after work. So my intake of calories is not that high
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I go with 400 calories in half a bottle, but im not eating a lot of food and im at the gym doing a class for 30 mins on my lunch, then back doing two classes after work. So my intake of calories is not that high

Personally I would be more concerned with my health than weight loss.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You worded it as "shift weight". So are you eating at maintenance and trying to re-comp? Or are you eating at a deficit and trying to lose fat? Either way, making sure you are accurately recording your calories in and your calories out is probably the first step.
  • Andreacampbell444
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight, it seems to be sticking right round my tummy and hips. I dont calorie count because i dont really eat that much. I will start to record the calories. Thanks for the info
  • Andreacampbell444
    Options
    I think im quite fit as i do cardio and weights. I just wish i was could lose a stone
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I just looked on a bottle of wine I have, and it is 127 cal per 5 oz. There are about 25 oz per the average bottle. That makes your 4-5 glasses at least an entire bottle. So that makes it 635 calories. Some wine I looked at can be as much as 200 calories. So you might be going way over your calories drinking wine. Maybe cut back to 1 5 oz glass a day?
  • Andreacampbell444
    Options
    That is alot of calories!! They are only small glasses, but i do have wine every night. I know the health risks however when im home from work and the gym, its nice to have wine. I wont be drinking from monday, so fingers crossed i might see some change.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Wine was a big shock for me when I figured out how many calories it is. You don't have to cut it out completely, but cuting down wouldn't be a bad idea. I used to have a couple of glasses a night, I've managed to cut down to 1 or 2 glasses a week, and I take them into account when planning my meals.
  • Andreacampbell444
    Options
    I cant believe how many calories are in wine. I love a glass chatting with friends. I will only have wine on a saturday and see if i lose weight, also it wont do any harm if i stop the wine during the week.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    I just looked on a bottle of wine I have, and it is 127 cal per 5 oz. There are about 25 oz per the average bottle. That makes your 4-5 glasses at least an entire bottle. So that makes it 635 calories. Some wine I looked at can be as much as 200 calories. So you might be going way over your calories drinking wine. Maybe cut back to 1 5 oz glass a day?

That's why I drink whiskey :-)
  • Andreacampbell444
    Options
    Lol :)
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You can still have it every night. Just measure and fit it into your calories. I have had my nightly cocktail for years now. 1.5oz of Rum. I measure with a shot glass. For the longest time I was "eyeballing" it but then found out I was drinking closer to 3oz, but only recording 1.5oz.

When you are used to it every night, cutting it out like that can be tough to stick to. I'd recommend just cutting back your nightly intake. But that is contingent that you are recording everything. Good Luck OP.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

It depends on the wine and the glass. Four or five glasses of wine is typically a bottle for me, and if it's a nice red that is close to 900 calories. Those need to be measured and noted, like everything else you eat.
  • Andreacampbell444
    Options
    Im joining "the biggest loser challenge - may" from this app. You are in a team and the challenge is which team can lose the most weight by the end of may, so i def cant drink......well maybe have a glass or two on saturday. If i do drink and gain weight, then i will be letting the team down
  • Andreacampbell444
    Options
    900 calories!! Wow!! I will start making notes of what im eating
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    You're saying you don't eat a lot but if you weighed and measured your food you might be surprised at the amounts you are consuming. It will help you to log and see what you're eating to determine if you might need to cut down.