Need some help

Options
Can someone give me some overall tips :) I'm looking for more workouts and food ideas

Replies

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Read the sticky posts at the top of each topic category. Those will tell you everything you need to know.
  • cindypriley
    cindypriley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm new to all this :) still trying to figure out how to work this all :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My #1 advice is to not over over complicate it. Stay under your calorie goal. Exercise if you enjoy it. Eat back some exercise calories if you are hungry. My strategy is to eat healthy, nutrient dense meals for the most part. This fills me up and leaves me enough calories for treats which I find satisfying.

• cindypriley
    cindypriley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My #1 advice is to not over over complicate it. Stay under your calorie goal. Exercise if you enjoy it. Eat back some exercise calories if you are hungry. My strategy is to eat healthy, nutrient dense meals for the most part. This fills me up and leaves me enough calories for treats which I find satisfying.
    I go to the gym :) I'm learning to prep my meals :) thank you for the idea will add that to my list :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more.

It really is that simple
  • kvalhion
    kvalhion Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more.

It really is that simple

Actually it's not that simple. It's an oversimplification that hasn't worked. People are eating less fat, gym memberships have gone up, total calories consumed have gone down, yet we still have an obesity epidemic and type 2 diabetes is going up by 4% every year.

I'd highly recommend checking out 'Fed Up' on NetFlix or 'Sugar: The Bitter Truth" by Dr Robert Lustig on YouTube. :)
  • brrrycicle
    brrrycicle Posts: 64 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The best way to get the most out of this app is to do two crucial things that will set you up for success:

1). Buy a digital food scale. You can find them on Amazon or at Wal-Mart for very cheap ($10-20).

2). Start weighing EVERY. SINGLE. THING. you eat. Weigh solids on the scale (in grams) and measure liquids with liquid measuring cups/spoons. No "eyeballing" or "guestimating" and the program here will give you results. LOG EVERYTHING you eat on this app. Try to find entries in the database where you can measure the food in grams. But beware, there are some wonky entries in there (white cake slice for 100 calories? Nope!)

You don't NEED to exercise to lose weigh, but it does help speed up the process sometimes, and helps you maintain your Lean Body Mass (think muscles and organs). Weigh lifting is very popular on here as a form of exercise, but I only do running. Hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    kvalhion wrote: »
    Eat less, move more.

It really is that simple

Actually it's not that simple. It's an oversimplification that hasn't worked. People are eating less fat, gym memberships have gone up, total calories consumed have gone down, yet we still have an obesity epidemic and type 2 diabetes is going up by 4% every year.

I'd highly recommend checking out 'Fed Up' on NetFlix or 'Sugar: The Bitter Truth" by Dr Robert Lustig on YouTube. :)

LOL! Gym memberships go up every January! Then after two weeks of crowds, most of the New Year's Resolution folks disperse but fail to cancel their gym memberships because they'll "go back eventually". Also, as another poster stated, fat doesn't make you fat.

I'm curious how you know total calories consumed have gone down. Where are you sourcing this information?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    Read the sticky posts at the top of each topic category. Those will tell you everything you need to know.
    Yep. These:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

I agree...don't over complicate it. If you have 50lbs or less to lose, go for. .5-1lb per week. Eat nutritious foods as well as your favourite treats. :)
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a million different answers and a lot of arguments on this post. The ugly truth is that you will probably fail many times before you find exactly what clicks for you personally. I know I did!! I failed miserably for a whole year or so before some things finally clicked for me. Start with a food scale as already mentioned. You don't need to go weighing crazy but weigh everything for a good while until you get a feel for what a serving looks like. Then I guess it's up to you if you want to continue that or not. Don't get too obsessed with tour weight and the scale. Weight loss isn't linear. Weight fluctuates on a daily basis for so many reasons. Don't get discouraged when you do fail. You've only found one more way that does not work. Learn from it and move on. Positive attitudes are key. Don't deprive yourself of food groups. That's all I've got right now haha
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I just started this in January. I put in that I wanted to lose 1lb/week, logged every bite of food, logged my exercise, stayed under my calories every day and I've lost over 1lb/week for 17 weeks in a row. It can be that simple.