Alcohol

Options
I'm a social drinker but now that I'm on a diet I need help on what type of drinks I can have?? I stopped drinking beer any help would be appreciated and also add me if you wish for motivation km trying to loose 100 pounds

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I would cut down for sure, and plan in advance. Avoid sweet things with mixers that make it impossible to calculate. Leave yourself calories for social drinking and decide your limit BEFORE you go out. Beer is fine, and honestly it's easier to measure a bottle of a certain beer in advance and make it fit into your total calories. Drink a glass of water in intervals between drinks to slow yourself down.
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You can get light beers or non alcoholic ones or try having half pints or making it into a shandy but with diet lemonade.
    Other than that gin and vodka with a low calorie drink as a mixer is lowest calorie or I have wine but with diet lemonade so it's a spritzer
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If you must drink alcohol, use the calorie tracker on this site (or the app) and be sure to include those drinks in your total calories. Seeing how many calories you are drinking might help you keep the alcohol to a minimum. Even if it doesn't, if you can at least keep your alcohol consumption within your calorie goal, that would be a "win" of sorts. Light beer is a good option if you can find one you like; as MissusMoon said already, it's easy to count calories in your head when you're out and/or to plan for how many you'll have in a given day. A bottle of beer is a bottle of beer. Compare that to a glass of wine or whiskey which all depends on the size of the glass and how much you pour in.
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Its difficult really. Cause even the lowest calorie alcohol (vodka, gin, etc, that tamara mentioned) are super high in calories. A bottle of vodka is i think over 1500 calories, which just sucks. I guess most people wouldn't drink that much in a normal night out, but still 4-6 shots (or drinks mixed in with no calorie sodas), is still 400-600 calories almost.

330ml bottle of budweiser = 140ish calories I think
    330ml bottle of bud light = 110ish.

So if you were to go out every friday night for example, I guess you could just cut 500-600 calories off food for that day, and still mostly stay in limit by the end, even after a decent night out with 4-5 bottles of beer.
    Although just to maintain as close to optimal health, you best make your food on the thursday / friday / saturday, as healthy and wholesome as you can.
    If you plan on getting out of your mind black out drunk, then it'd probably cost you an entire day of calories. And if you plan on drinking more than once / week, and more than just a few bottles. Maybe you should change your priorities from losing weight, to changing your social lifestyle first, since your health would deteriorate pretty quickly while cutting much calories and drinking that often. Or you'd just negate your weekly calorie deficit with the regular drinking
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Hey man, I've lost 100lb and like you, I enjoy social drinking..hell, I enjoy socially blacking out sometimes.
    If I know I'm gonna drink, I try to save 200-300 cal throughout the day, as a buffer, and then stick with straight vodka, rum, or whiskey shots. 4 to 5 will usually do the trick, and that's only about 400 calories.
    Honestly if I go over in my calories I really don't worry..for me, sustainable weight loss/maintenance involves "cheat" nights.
    Have fun man and enjoy.
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Alcohol lowers your inhibitions too--those nachos that you might say no to when you are sober may suddenly seem like a good idea after a few drinks.

Also, don't cut calories too much during through day in the name of saving for drinking. Going into the night hungry and replacing food with alcohol is a not a good idea.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Probably the lowest calorie alcohol would be a spirit (I go for vodka) with a diet mixer (like diet coke).
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Getdrunknotfat.com
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Liquor is the lowest calorie alcohol. If you don't like shots or straight liquor, whiskey or rum with diet coke is a good one, as well as vodka tonic. Personally I usually only have one or two at a time so I prefer wine, although it is a bit higher calorie than liquor. White wine is lower cal than red...less antioxidants though
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My problem is I don't like just a few, if I am going to drink I want to drink. I tried limiting myself to just a couple nights but the food I eat after I drink wipes out the work I did all week. I have pretty much given it up for now. I may have a night every couple weeks I drink not sure. I stopped before and it was 10 years before I drank again and I still went out weekends just drank grapefruit juice.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I used to just stick to vodka.. approx 50 cals per measure and a diet soda. That way i could drink at least 6 for just 300 cals
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ughhhh same here. I try to plan ahead and log before I leave the house and that's what I have to stick too.

I also plan accordingly throughout the day to make sure I have the extra calories. If it's a spur of the moment thing I will hit the treadmill before I go out for the evening to earn my drinks.

I drink budlight 110 calories per bottle or shots of fireball for 100 calories per 1.5 oz. I'll sometimes get one two ways not because my pocket is cheap but my calories are :D

Anddddd if you do go over you can make up for it the rest of the week, 100 calories here and there. One morning I actually went back through my log for the week to make sure I was still under from that perspective.

Make sure you drink plenty of water and I wouldn't weigh myself for a few days after as the scale will go up but its not actual fat gain.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Straight vodka or with a diet mixer. 3 oz. vodka is 174 calories. Blue Moon Belgian white ale is about the same for a 12 oz. bottle. Lime juice is pretty much no cal. Just figure in the calories for your day and you will be fine. Do be aware you may tend to overeat when inhibitions are lowered! Oops. I lost nearly 80 pounds and have alcohol every day.
  • kiamsu
    kiamsu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had better results since giving up alcohol 10 weeks ago. My training has improved and also less likely to lose control of my diet by eating crappy foods. Setting aside just the reduction for the alcohol alone. The advice I got was don't drink your calories and serving me well. Is hard sometimes though at parties etc
  • AlyAlyAlyboo
    AlyAlyAlyboo Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Martinis with olives gin dirty martinis R my fav or vodka sodas w lemon add me!!
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is pretty much just liquid calories. If you are going to be drinking, go for low percentage stuff (if you're drinking to be social), or if you want to get a bit tipsy, go for normal percent shots or mixed drinks with well chosen mixers- vodka lime and soda with real lime (not cordial) is my fave. It also gives you some good hydration. Make sure you eat enough before and during drinking too- you really do need a good bit of food in your stomach to not get ill. I like to carb up plenty before I drink! Try some nice roasted potatoes and bring some snacks that are healthy and filling.
  • redndgold82
    redndgold82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your inputs on this question.
    I have read all the comments and I got it haha
  • ReadyWillingEager
    ReadyWillingEager Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I drink once or twice a week. I just plan in advance and cut like 100 cals on other days so it evens out over the week. I NEVER drink light beer (it's gross and I do not get buzzed), just look for good beers that aren't that bad in cals. Do a quick search on here of various beers and you can start getting an idea of what's high cal, what's not.

If drinking at home, mixed drinks are a good option because you can control how much goes in there.
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I try to burn about 400-500 calories in exercise before a night drinking, and I mix my own drinks with fresh-squeezed lime, lemon and grapefruit juices ... and as you lose weight, you won't need as much to get a buzz!