Online dating - helpful advice????

Options
PlumCrazyGirl
PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
Decided to post this topic here due to I estimate more folks have tried the online dating compared to my facebook friends.
Never did the online dating service before so this is totally foreign to me.

This morning I registered on my first online dating website. Within 5 minutes of registering, I got a message from a guy and the day continued with messages and IM from different guys. So, yeah a great boost to my ego.

What I need advice/suggestions/pitfalls to avoid/etc?
Specifically, if you have used online dating websites before - when did you release your cell phone number?

What I noticed today is after 1 or 2 emails or IM with a guy, he's already asking for my cell phone number or gave me his. Is this normal? I didn't give my cell out so does that make me "bitc...y" Unsure if I just have some eager beavers on wanting to get to know me or psychos.

Online dating does have some psychos out there & I'm sure someone knows someone who has a horror story.... and I'm sure someone knows someone who has had success with online dating.

Any guidance you have is most appreciated.
Thanks. Barb

Replies

• joyoungolivia
    joyoungolivia Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    hi, I have tried online dating and met a couple of ppl off there, one guy i have been with a couple of years, but obviously seom r a waste of time!! I found that the ones who want your number straight away are usually only after one thing, so i didnt bother with them. I dunno, I guess it depends what you are looking for and how much free time you have to go on dates. I didnt have much because of my daughter so i only met ppl i was interested in. But i'd say half of the ppl on there are married, some are only after one thing and the the rest are decent guys. I would only give out your number if you really like someone and feel cmfortable with it. Remember how easy it is to take a random persons picture off the net and create a false profile too, not trying ot scare you but it is so so easy to pretend to be someone you are not! Also abviously just be safe and let someone know where you are going etc. Just use common sense really and you'll be ok, just keep your eyes open and dont believ everything you are told and you'll be fine!! happy man hunting!! lol x
  • MemphisMarly
    MemphisMarly Posts: 215
    Options
    I met my now-fiance on plentyoffish.com :)

Barb, don't do anything you're not comfortable with. If you feel funny giving your number out so soon, don't! If he thinks you're a *****, he's jumping to conclusions. You can just be up front and say you don't have experience with dating websites and don't feel comfortable giving out your number yet. Keep IMing and see if it goes well. If you hit it off, you could even meet up for coffee or something without giving out your number to see if a guy is still cool in person. Play it by ear.. be safe.. have fun!

PS - I will say I had a bunch of creepers messaging me about sexual stuff before I met my sweetie. Control your communications settings if possible. (E.g. I was able to say that people couldn't message me if you're looking for hook ups or something. That actually helped a lot!)
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm not one for online dating, but all I can say is, you know when you're ready. You will know when you're okay with giving out your number and when not to. If you get that 'uh oh' feeling, don't do it. You're an adult and you're capable of taking care of yourself. My only advice is, just remember that there will be creeps on and offline. When you meet someone, meet them in public.
  • TescherTK
    TescherTK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've done the online dating thing (too many times!). I never give my cell phone number. I just arrange to meet the guy somewhere public and busy for drinks or coffee, and then after I get to know him then maybe give him my cell#. Don't worry about being B**chy, you gotta take care of you!
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think it's all personal preference. I met my husband online five years ago and I didn't agree to meet him until we'd been talking through the whole summer. I also am not a big phone person, so we just did IMing back and forth, primarily. Some things I would suggest thinking about are:

1) What part of your profile drew them to you? For instance, I'd put up cute photos and have guys messaging me ONLY because they saw my photo, and that was not the kind of guy I was looking for. My profile had substance. If a guy messaged me and said A/S/L, I'd be like, "Dude, it's on my profile -- how about you trying reading, first?"

2) Anything that seems slightly creepy or like a red flag, listen to your intuition. It doesn't hurt to block someone. They won't have a broken heart and you'll feel some relief.

3) You can tell a lot about a person by how the conversation goes. If you're having an interesting, fluid conversation, odds are that sharing a cell phone number is a good next step. But if it's just shallow back-and-forth with no substance, I'd avoid giving a number. Why waste your time?

Just my two (or three!) cents. Happy dating!
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I met my now-fiance on plentyoffish.com :)

Barb, don't do anything you're not comfortable with. If you feel funny giving your number out so soon, don't! If he thinks you're a *****, he's jumping to conclusions. You can just be up front and say you don't have experience with dating websites and don't feel comfortable giving out your number yet. Keep IMing and see if it goes well. If you hit it off, you could even meet up for coffee or something without giving out your number to see if a guy is still cool in person. Play it by ear.. be safe.. have fun!

PS - I will say I had a bunch of creepers messaging me about sexual stuff before I met my sweetie. Control your communications settings if possible. (E.g. I was able to say that people couldn't message me if you're looking for hook ups or something. That actually helped a lot!)

I agree with the above completely. I, too, have met my now fiance via Myspace and through an ex-boyfriend. We chatted on IM a for a week or so and started video chatting and I ended up giving him my number so we could text each other when we weren't online. Be safe, don't do anything you feel uncomfortable doing. If you meet in person, make sure it is a public place with lots of people and make sure several people know where you will be and who you will be with or maybe make a double date out of it! Online dating isn't all that bad. You just have to be safe about it and get rid of the creeps the moment you notice them. : ]

I never did anything sexual for anything via IMs, video chats & texting because that makes me uncomfortable and could get into the wrong hands. I have been with my fiance for 4 years and we're getting married next February. We started dating on Valentine's day and he was my first valentine. : ]
  • Myra73
    Myra73 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. Don't share anything you are not comfortable with. I did the online dating thing for years, paid sites, free sites (finally met my husband on, of all places, craigslist ha!). If someone acts like they want to talk to you and you want to talk to them, get THEIR number, and do a google phonechat (you can sign up to do free phone calls if you are in the US right now). Yes, women get much more attention on these sites than men! It's an ego boost, but there's alot of frogs to kiss before you meet your prince. I wouldn't spend too much time just IM'ing and emailing, because you can think there's a connection and there's not. I had alot of coffee dates, lol! But you can't really know until you meet someone. Besides, they could be someone totally different than their pic-- like those crazy scammers who are overseas and trick women into sending them $. That being said. Have fun! Drink lots of coffee (just watch the cream and sugar!)
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I met the Love of my Life online and we are married now for over a year and I thank online dating that made possible for me to find my soul mate, which I was looking for so many years to find her and I found her through the online dating which I was always skeptic and now that I was wrong I have to thank online for the rest of my life..............................:-) :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    Options
    Thanks all.. I certainly would like to hear from the male perspective.

For the record, I did set the email settings so that if the guy is looking for a sexual encounter only he can not contact me.

And I did politely tell each one who asked for my number that I am very new to online dating & I feel uncomfortable with sharing my number so quickly then stated I would enjoy email & IM for now. After that .... the communications stopped. I do believe if he was truly interested in me, he'll respect my decison & continue to contact me via the dating website email or IM. Ah, their loss.

And there was men who contacted me just due to my photo. I had to laugh you're in FL and you want to date a woman who lives thousands of miles away? I politely told him I am searching for someone in my commuting distance & wished him well.
  • monica1515
    monica1515 Posts: 65
    Options
    You have nothing to lose!

You will find the occassional creeper but the same thing happens in bars too. I don't think thats a valid reason to completely nip the idea.

It always aggrivated me when people are so close-minded about the concept. It's ignorant.

I joined match.com when I moved from Houston to Michigan as a way to meet people. There are some wonderful people on there. I have a bachelors degree in exercise physiology, I played soccer in college, a working girl ... My husband, whom I met on match.com, is an extremely successful business owner who also was a college basketball player. Turned out he was the man I'd been hoping to meet my entire life (and I'm not even a gushy type of woman - but I knew the type of man I wanted to spend my life with). Match.com added so much to my life in meeting my husband.

There are all different types of people doing online dating. It's a great way to be able to weed out what you can't compromise on and minimize time wasted. You're an attractive woman, you know you could walk into a bar and find a sexy stud muffin! It seems to me if you're looking into online dating, you are looking for substance!

Best wishes in your search! Don't settle!
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    I found that certain sites are geared more to certain relationships:. Match.com, plentyoffish.com and eharmony.com I felt were geared towards people intent on finding someone to marry. OKCupid I got nothing but people looking for quick relationships.

If you are looking for particular fetish sites, troll for a bit before signing up if possible. I have a BDSM friend that had a few , um, *interesting* experiences before she got to know her site better.
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    Options
    Again, thanks all. Appreciate your feedback. Have a good day!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online almost 12 years ago. :smile:

I turned my experiences into a humor site, which then turned into running a dating advice site for over 11 years now. So even though I'm personally out of the dating loop, I'm peripherally invloved.

It's changed a LOT over the last dozen years. It's much more mainstream now. While I agree completely that you should never do anything you're not comfortable with, and any guy should respect your apprehension, you should also keep in mind, "What would I do if I met him at the grocery store or a nightclub?"

I gave up my phobias of guys online when I put it in that perspective. I had no qualms about giving a guy I talked to for five minutes at a bar my number, and would meet him for a date soon after. Why should it be any different with someone you meet online? It's just a way to meet people you might not bump into in everyday life.

Granted, there's freaks and weirdos out there. Lord knows I encountered plenty of them. But they tend make their weirdness known right off the bat. The majority of folks out there are just normal everyday people like you and me. Like I told my Mom years ago, if someone wants to murder me and bury my body parts across three states, it'd be just as easy for someone to follow me home from WalMart than meet me online, get to know me, and plan a date. (But it should also be noted I don't shop at WalMart anymore! :laugh: )

Relax, enjoy, trust your instincts.
  • snowbunnies
    Options
    I met my current boyfriend of over a year on okcupid, and I really love him.

But before we met, I probably went on about 10 dates with different guys. I learned A LOT. Here are my tips:

1. Sign up for a google voice number. It's a free service that gives you a different telephone number to associate with your phone. Only give that one out, NOT your real number. I had one guy call me and text me non-stop after I declined a second date. Not a good situation.

2. When you meet for a first date, always meet in a public area and stay around other people. Dinner, Coffee, or Drinks at a popular restaurant are always a good bet.

3. Always (ALWAYS) have a time constraint when you a agree to a date. Always have "plans" for 3-4 hour after the date starts. If things are going great - awesome! You can exchange phone numbers and enjoy each other's company again next time. If things aren't going great - well you don't have to fumble for an excuse to leave or awkwardly try to cut the date short.

Most of all... have fun. And trust your gut - It's always right!
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Well I dont have any experience with the online dating services but I did meet my fiance online. He had sent me a friend request on FB, he was mutal friends with another one of my friends so I asked her about him. She said he was a nice guy, never posted anything bad, etc. We were friends for almost a year without saying anything to one another. One day I commented on one of his statuses and it went from there. Little did I know at the time, he had a bet with a friend that he could "get with me". They made this bet because from my profile pic, I looked high mantenance. LOL! not only did he "get with me" and win the bet, now he gets to marry me. :)

Anyway, I would say dont do anything you arent comfortable with. If guys are immediately asking for your #, they are probably after one thing.
  • mandygal13
    mandygal13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I met my (as of today) ex-husband through Match.com. He was GREAT online. Was even great in person. We married a little fast (six months), but I had met his family and felt comfortable with the situation. Once we got married, a complete 180. So different than he was online and even from how he was in person while we dated. I gave it five years, but that was all I could do with his passive aggressiveness. As the others have said - if you're not comfortable, don't do it. Give it time. Don't fall for how he was online - fall for how he really is in person over the long haul. Good luck!
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    Options
    Again, thanks all for the advice.
    Barb