Making up for "Cheat" Days

Options
So, I attended a marvelous party yesterday and overindulged a bit. Went about 1000 calories over my limit, which I feel okay about every once in awhile. My question is, can I work out more today theoretically netting under my calories for today to kind of 'balance the scales' or will that do more harm than good?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Add a little everyday to make up for your cheat. It's more about weekly totals for me.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I also do weekly totals. I got that idea from my brother who has been on weight watchers where they give you extra "weekly" points. We usually have a big Sunday dinner in my family, so I try to "save" calories during the week and then I figure I have that many extra to spend on Sunday. The bonus is I hardly ever eat them all- so I come out ahead in the end. :wink:
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I allow myself about one "cheat day" a week. Usually that's my Friday night when we order pizza. I have found that it doesn't make a huge difference for me and the next day I am either the same weight or less. I never try to make up for it because I don't think there's a point in having a cheat day if you're going to spend the next few days kicking yourself over it. I have to have a cheat day or I'd go crazy.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. A day or so of netting low will not hurt your weight loss at all. The danger is netting low for long periods of time. Then your body will adapt to it in rather negative ways if your want to lose fat. I usually don't do anything to make up for it, but there are times I plan things out and do make up for that day of indulgence. Either way I am not beating myself up about it, I am simply looking at calories over a week instead of a day.
  • Nicabell
    Nicabell Posts: 3
    Options
    I do the samething I start to do really good, then something" yummy" comes my way I end up going over my limit. I workout hard that week if I do go over
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    BUMP
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I allow myself one cheat day. Even after going 1500 over today I'm still under by 320 for the week thanks to plenty of exercise :)
  • rn_jacki
    rn_jacki Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I got in a great workout, which I needed psychologically. I think I just won't eat back ALL of the calories I burned. I think cheat days are necessary too, just getting into the whole calorie counting thing though. I appreciate the feedback!