Weight loss with depression

Options
Hi all. I have just come back to MFP after more than a year. I have been suffering with depression and anxiety, and have gained substantial weight as a result. I have finally found the right course of meds/treatment and I feel very motivated to get in shape. My goal is to lose 60lbs. I would love to connect with people in a similar situation, or anyone who can kick me in my butt if I go off track!

Replies

• Debwiththecoolhair
    Debwiththecoolhair Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't know how much support I can offer but I can definitely emphasize. Within the last year I have lost then gain 40lbs. Depression had a heavy hand in that. I've spent the last couple months trying to get mentally healthy and am barely in a place where I want to want to be physically healthy. Especially since I know getting physically healthy would help all the brain chemicals get balanced.
    So if anything you're not alone and you have a friend here.
  • jrek521
    jrek521 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo!! Good for you for coming back!! My plan to eat healthy and exercise has been derailed a bit by my depression and anxiety, too. As much as I wouldn't wish this on anyone, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one dealing with it.
  • Frank_Jr
    Frank_Jr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend. We can all help each other.
  • anne_driessen
    anne_driessen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey hey, I too suffer from depression and anxiety. Im happy for you that you found a balance that works :) feel free to add me so we can motivate each other a bit :) I found that in my journey healthy eating and exercising does help a lot when dealing with controlling depression and anxiety - ofcourse the biggest struggle is getting out of bed to actually go do these thing
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    One more in the same boat - anxiety with amazing bouts of depression lol
    Dieting and working out (when I was capable - right now recovering from an injury) have been of a great help.
    So.. yeah... Feel free to add me - certainly wouldn't mind more people on my friendlist :)
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Anxiety disorder here. It Def affected my weight. Luckily not by much but I started comfort eating and put on like 14 pounds. Should have been much more! It's difficult when I'm havjng bad days to stay on track but atm I'm focused. The gym is great for mental health
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My depression is more situational, brother died suddenly before holidays, I was/am the legal rep for the estate, selling his house, handling taxes, debt etc and during the last 5 months my husband has been away caring for his ill father. The one thing that has been a constant, keeping me at least as maintenance, is exercise. I rejected the offer for Xanax and the like, a 5 mile hike serves me better. Even if you don't "like" exercise, a good sweat is so therapeutic and I strongly recommend it.