Afternoon tea

Options
Hi everyone I'm going out for afternoon tea later for my mums birthday I know the trip won't be kind. So I'm trying to put aside a set amount of cals and just enjoy it.
But how much?
I've added 800 calories reckon that's enough?

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm not really sure what you're asking, because afternoon tea isn't a thing in the states, so I don't really have an idea what is generally eaten then or how much. But I will say good on you for planning ahead, and look at it this way: if what you've set aside turns out not to be enough (log things to be sure) you can always go for a walk later to make up the difference. Or better yet, you can choose to not be hard on yourself and allow yourself this little "cheat" for the sake of spending an enjoyable afternoon with your mother. One day of letting your hair down is not going to derail your weight loss. It takes a long term failure to log accurately and consistently to do that. So whatever you choose to do, make sure you're not obsessing over it, and just have a good time. And kindly do not go and starve yourself in anticipation before or guilt after. All that will do is lead to binge eating and more guilt. Pace yourself.

ETA: And to your mother, best wishes for a happy birthday:)
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Thank you. No I intend to enjoy it. I'm actually doing a 2 hour zumbathon beforehand this morning lol so I think I'll be ok
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    It depends if your Afternoon Tea is just Tea with one scone, jam and cream (in which case 800 is a bit high, probably more like 500-600) or if it's multiple cups of Tea (with sugar and milk?), Champagne?, multiple finger sandwiches - which fillings? , mini cakes, pastries and scone(s) - what size? With butter as well as jam and cream? How much jam and cream?. It's impossible to give a calorie estimate without knowing the qty of food you're having and some detail on what it is. Some 'Afternoon Tea's can be more than 1,500!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thank you. No I intend to enjoy it. I'm actually doing a 2 hour zumbathon beforehand this morning lol so I think I'll be ok

I looked it up in a secret database and luckily your afternoon tea calories are exactly the same as your 2hr Zumba-thon. :smiley:

Yep - sometimes you just have to guess and accept one meal is but a drop in the ocean.

Enjoy!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I ate scones and jam yesterday and it didn't hurt my cals as much as I thought it would!
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I love a special afternoon tea and the good news is that the delicious sandwiches are really weeny. You could go the extra mile and have a glass of champagne to toast your Mum's birthday. I would think 800/900 cals would be about right for a couple of sandwiches + 2 mini pastries + 1 scone with jam & cream + 1 glass of champagne...oh, mustn't forget the tea lol. Anyway it's a special occasion so I wouldn't worry too much, you can always adapt the rest of your day and/or do some extra exercise the next. Really enjoy :)
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on the afternoon tea and whether you want to eat it all! The last place I had it offered four small sandwiches, jam/clotted cream scones, mini chocolate eclairs, mini cheesecakes, a fondant fancy and a mini Eton Mess. I doubt I got any change from 1500 for that. That day I had brunch instead of breakfast, the afternoon tea, and a small-ish dinner (couldn't eat much because I was still quite stuffed after the tea), went for a long walk in the evening and just enjoyed myself. Think in terms of keeping a deficit over the week as a whole and you'll be fine.
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing the offers on for afternoon teas on deal sites and used to really love them before loosing weight so that's next on my treat list though I will share it with my 8 year old who loves them just as much.
    Enjoy it :)
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Yea I love afternoon tea. This is at Kilworth house in Leicestershire I'm so excited. I looked up the sandwiches I can cross them off cus I don't like cucumber sandwiches or salmon lol do I'll be just eating cake lol. I've just burnt 1462 calories in my 2 hr zumba class I reckon I'm covered
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yea I love afternoon tea. This is at Kilworth house in Leicestershire I'm so excited. I looked up the sandwiches I can cross them off cus I don't like cucumber sandwiches or salmon lol do I'll be just eating cake lol. I've just burnt 1462 calories in my 2 hr zumba class I reckon I'm covered

Sorry but that's very unlikely...
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Set aside some cals, do your Zumba, maybe eat something light before you go like a salad to take the edge off your hunger, and enjoy yourself :)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If you go over a few hundred calories, so what? It takes 3500 calories to make a pound of weight gain. If it were me I'd enjoy it, forget it, and get back on your program the next day.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Spread out over a weeks time, one splurge meal means very little. Enjoy! And best wishes to tiur Mom!!!
  • leahcollett1
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Sorry but that's very unlikely...

I know heart rate monitors aren't dead on accurate. But it's got my statistics in. I'm not exactly light either. 2 ......hours non stop my heart rate average 160 all way through it. It's been a long time since I did it. So it was a big shock to my body. I do tdee so I don't eat them back so it don't matter if it's likely or not really